21 May 2020, 6:37 pm

Full Title:
A Virginia Family Praised For Finding & Returning Bags That Had $1 Million

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/goochland-family-returns-one-million-in-cash/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 6:48 pm

Guess what we're having for supper tonight, kids?  That's right: Warm, Fuzzy Feelings!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 12:46 am

mmm...not going to lie I might have kept it, if it were me, or at least some of it. I mean I could get me and my boyfriend a house...I could get a house or like a trailer on some property for my dad cause if anyone I know needs a break its him and even a better place for my brother so he doesn't have to deal with his crappy landlord anymore. I mean it isn't every day you just find a million bucks so I certainly would not be so willing to hand it in.

Did those guys even get a reward for turning it in? and I mean a monetary award not just recognition.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 9:03 am

Who needs a monetary reward when you can get your name in the news?

Besides, ten percent of $1,000,000 is only $100,000.  What can you possibly do with only $100,000?

And $10,000?  Pfft!  A mere pittance!

:wink: I hope someone notices the sarcasm.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 9:17 am

Police with label it drug money, and seize it.

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 9:23 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Police will label it drug money, and seize it.
Anything over $1000 in cash is 'obviously' drug money, but it's easy to get ten times that much through customs.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 10:32 am

Thats nice and all, but why was there a million bucks lying by the side of the road?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 6:19 pm

Family had the sense to work out that if they went and blew the money then:
a) the owners of that money (Russian mafia?) might seek them out for retribution or
b) the police would be able to trace the notes and arrest them

I would do the same....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 6:21 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Thats nice and all, but why was there a million bucks lying by the side of the road?

In addition to "why" there is also the "who"...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 6:46 pm

These guys walk into police station.

"Bags of unmarked bills belonging to our legitimate business lost on side of road. You have found, da? Would be shame if accident happen to station..."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 8:51 pm

I won't lie, if I found that I'd sign-up for Insta just to post a picture of me talking on my 80s cellphone made of blocks of bills, followed by shooting dozens of short video clips just randomly holding it up with a mixture of amazement and confusion on my face.

And an hour later it would be gone and replaced by more bricks than Trump's wall will need.
And by the end of the week I might need to worry about a bigger bag but not about serial numbers.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 10:18 pm

Scenario 1 - The crooks were being chased and dumped the bags so they wont be chased (this would explain why the bags were dumped along the road in different spots like the passenger was throwing out of a moving car)

The problem with this scenario is why the chasers (police or crooks) would drive past leaving the bags

Scenario 2 - the crooks decided they found god and decided to throw the 1 million in cash out of the car

Scenario 3 - the police haven't checked but the money is counterfeit so the manufacturers just dumped it

Scenario 4 - The security van carrying the cash negligently forgot to lock the back door and the cash fell out the back

I'm going with number 4 :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 11:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Scenario 1 - The crooks were being chased and dumped the bags so they wont be chased (this would explain why the bags were dumped along the road in different spots like the passenger was throwing out of a moving car)

The problem with this scenario is why the chasers (police or crooks) would drive past leaving the bags

Scenario 2 - the crooks decided they found god and decided to throw the 1 million in cash out of the car

Scenario 3 - the police haven't checked but the money is counterfeit so the manufacturers just dumped it

Scenario 4 - The security van carrying the cash negligently forgot to lock the back door and the cash fell out the back

I'm going with number 4 :lol:

The cops don't stop chasing to deal with stuff that gets dropped, they just make a note of it with GPS and have the next officer who arrives from that direction look into it. Throwing stuff out of the vehicle doesn't always work if they can see it happen.

#1 happens, but more often with smaller stuff. That doesn't mean it can't be #1. #3 seems unlikely, leaving large quantities of counterfeit money laying around is asking to have it enter circulation. #2 sounds likely, the acid must have kicked in.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 12:55 am

funeralxempire wrote:
#2 sounds likely, the acid must have kicked in.

LMFAO....but what about number 4?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
#2 sounds likely, the acid must have kicked in.

LMFAO....but what about number 4?

Same excuse? :lol:

8O

Man, those bags in the rearview mirror look just like those money bags we loaded in.
Whatever, sucks to be those guys. Does the wind shield normally have God's face in it?
I dunno man, how do you know it's god?
I think I'd recognize him, he was the parrot in Aladdin.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 12:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Police will label it drug money, and seize it.
Anything over $1000 in cash is 'obviously' drug money, but it's easy to get ten times that much through customs.

I know several rural Kansas farmers/ranchers who often carry large sums of cash around, but they also carry loaded guns with them at all times. Their parents lived through the Great Depression and passed on the notion not to trust banks unless you have to. The local police knows who they are, so there is no threat that it will be seized by them. Many farmers/ranchers are not rich, as this money is what they do business with. Without it, they would not survive the next year.

I witnessed one local farmer buying a new loaded pickup with just cash. That was a hoot to see! The salesman wanted to push financing on him, as that is how the dealership makes their money. He said no, went to his older truck, grabbed his money box and counted out $54,000 on the salesman’s desk. The salesman said no deal. The owner who saw this happening told the salesman to sell him the truck or he was fired on the spot. The farmer usually buys a new truck this way every couple of years from the same dealership.

I have a $10,000 bag of cash that I got as a gift, but unfortunately it was all shredded by the government on purpose. Just need to put it back together with some glue and tape. I like to call it the world’s most painful jigsaw puzzle.