Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

brionyloudoun
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2020, 1:03 am

During this difficult COVID19 pandemic I have constantly had to stand up for myself and my sensory issues when it comes to hand sanitizer. Just today I was challengened about my sensory issues regarding hand sanitizer. I was told, very forcibly, to use the hand sanitizer before entering the store. I objected by replying 'I can't because of my Autism. It [hand sanitizer] effects all five of my senses'. I hate the slimey look and texture, the sickeningly chemical smell and taste, and the moist sound it makes when people rub their hands together. I have refused to use hand sanitizer throughout the COVID19 lockdown despite other people's objections and I will continue to stand my ground. I wash my hands with soap and water many times a day, is that not enough?
Has anyone else struggled with the use of hand sanitizer due to sensory issues?
This is not a new problem for me. I have struggled against this as a hospital patient for years. No one, even if they threatened my life, is gonna make me use hand sanitizer ever.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 3:50 pm

I don't mind using hand sanitizer gel. It feels good, but I would hate washing my hand with soap a hundred times per day. The hand sanitizer is IMHO quicker and more thorough.

In my opinion, if one doesn't use a hand sanitizer then the risk is primarily with the person who doesn't use it, not the public at large. I really haven't been told by anyone to use it. It is more like an option that is available.

What I do object to especially in grocery stores, is someone constantly picking up food and then putting it back on the shelf. Some people do this so often that I almost suspect they may be intentionally trying to spread the virus.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 4:30 pm

I carry a couple of spray bottles of alcohol, smells almost the same as sanitizer but should take care of the other four senses.

Maybe try adding some essential oils to rubbing alcohol to fix the smell?

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 7:12 pm

I carry a baggie with a couple of Lysol Wipes inside - Spring Waterfall, a lighter scent. Multi-purpose so I can wipe down a shopping card handle, an ATM keypad, my bank card before it goes back into my bag, a door handle if I need to use my hand. I also wipe my hands before and after shopping. The wipes are just as effective and the smell evaporates quickly. It feels slightly weird for a minute but goes away quickly. And then soap and water when I get home. No hands to the face when I'm out.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 7:16 pm

I carry a baggie with a couple of Lysol Wipes inside - Spring Waterfall, a lighter scent. Multi-purpose so I can wipe down a shopping card handle, an ATM keypad, my bank card before it goes back into my bag, a door handle if I need to use my hand. I also wipe my hands before and after shopping. The wipes are just as effective and the smell evaporates quickly. It feels slightly weird for a minute but goes away quickly. And then soap and water when I get home. No hands to the face when I'm out.
I also keep a pair of those cheap mini winter gloves in my purse and wash them between shopping trips. Feel so much better than latex gloves. I don't think they are necessary because I'm so careful, but I think they make others feel better. I don't have a mask and don't believe in them in my day to day dealings. If I have any doubt about being well I stay home until I've ruled it out.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 1:52 pm

Its not my favorite but kind of hard to wash your hands with soap and water in the car after getting out of the grocery store, wal-mart or whatever so I just rub it in my hands real quick to get rid of the feeling faster. It dries out pretty quick so I can handle a few seconds of unpleasantness.

I have not heard of stores requiring people to use hand sanitizer to enter though, so that does seem a little odd. What kind of store was it?

Maybe you could carry some wet-wipes on you, so if you run into anymore situations like that it would probably be fine if you use your own wet wipe to wipe your hands instead of their hand sanitizer.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 1:59 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
I also keep a pair of those cheap mini winter gloves in my purse and wash them between shopping trips. Feel so much better than latex gloves. I don't think they are necessary because I'm so careful, but I think they make others feel better. I don't have a mask and don't believe in them in my day to day dealings. If I have any doubt about being well I stay home until I've ruled it out.

Well here is my unsolicied advice:
You probably shouldn't use lysol wipe on your hands, the package even recommends to wash your hands after you use lysol wipes on a surface without gloves I admit I usually don't do that...but still I would not actually wipe my hands with them. The reason it feels weird is probably all those chemicals that aren't meant to be applied to the skin soaking into it.

May be better to get some wipes that are safe for skin to use for your hands.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 2:00 pm

Hand sanitizer more convenient than soap

Love the smell of Purrell

brionyloudoun
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2020, 12:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

I have not heard of stores requiring people to use hand sanitizer to enter though, so that does seem a little odd. What kind of store was it?

Maybe you could carry some wet-wipes on you, so if you run into anymore situations like that it would probably be fine if you use your own wet wipe to wipe your hands instead of their hand sanitizer.

It was a pharmacy (drugstore). I live in Australia.

My neighbour suggested hand wipes too. I looked at them briefly in the shops today.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2020, 3:02 pm

I don't get the big deal with hand sanitiser. I have never used hand sanitiser in my life.

I just wash my hands with soap and water. Recently I have been washing my hands a bit more 'properly', rather than giving them a quick rinse.

I don't see the appeal of putting stuff on your hands and not washing it off. Sounds a bit icky.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 7:10 pm

brionyloudoun wrote:
During this difficult COVID19 pandemic I have constantly had to stand up for myself and my sensory issues when it comes to hand sanitizer. Just today I was challengened about my sensory issues regarding hand sanitizer. I was told, very forcibly, to use the hand sanitizer before entering the store. I objected by replying 'I can't because of my Autism. It [hand sanitizer] effects all five of my senses'. I hate the slimey look and texture, the sickeningly chemical smell and taste, and the moist sound it makes when people rub their hands together. I have refused to use hand sanitizer throughout the COVID19 lockdown despite other people's objections and I will continue to stand my ground. I wash my hands with soap and water many times a day, is that not enough?
Has anyone else struggled with the use of hand sanitizer due to sensory issues?
This is not a new problem for me. I have struggled against this as a hospital patient for years. No one, even if they threatened my life, is gonna make me use hand sanitizer ever.

You're entitled to make that your hill to die upon but they're also entitled to refuse you entry for refusing to follow basic health and safety policies.

I hate using sanitizer because of how it dries my hands out, but if I refuse to use it I'm not allowed to enter my workplace so I suck it up and f*****g deal with it because that's what grown-ups gotta do sometimes even if it makes us grumpy. Getting fired over a childish reason is worse than using hand sanitizer, no matter how much one dislikes using it.

And bluntly, no unless you're washing your hands with soap and water in lieu of using sanitizer at the door you are not doing it adequately enough to meet the store's policy. It doesn't matter how often you washed them before getting there if they're contaminated at the moment you try to enter the store.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 10:32 pm

brionyloudoun wrote:

this is why there are 100,000 dead americans.

i have no problem with hand sanitizer. i don't even notice that it dries out my hands.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

brionyloudoun
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2020, 5:08 pm

steve30 wrote:
I don't get the big deal with hand sanitiser. I have never used hand sanitiser in my life.

I just wash my hands with soap and water. Recently I have been washing my hands a bit more 'properly', rather than giving them a quick rinse.

I don't see the appeal of putting stuff on your hands and not washing it off. Sounds a bit icky.

Thank you, at least I'm not the only one.

brionyloudoun
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2020, 5:13 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

this is why there are 100,000 dead americans.

Well, I don't live in America and my country is containing it very well. ScoMo and the state premiers have been doing a good job.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 5:44 pm

It might be easier to tell a white lie that is easier for people to understand. Say you are allergic to most hand sanitizers but will gladly wash your hands with soap and water if they can provide.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 6:23 pm

Mikah wrote:
It might be easier to tell a white lie that is easier for people to understand. Say you are allergic to most hand sanitizers but will gladly wash your hands with soap and water if they can provide.

Also this, since it comes off as far more diplomatic to pro-actively offer a compromise instead of just saying won't do it, can't do it, no never, no can't make me.

I wonder how long until all of these public high proof alcohol dispensers start to be questioned. This is begging to be abused by alcoholics.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う