Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 2:53 pm

Is it true that the heavier the free weight you lift the more your body weight goes up?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 2:58 pm

It would be more accurate to say that the more muscle mass you build, the more your weight *can* go up, due to the increased muscle mass. Using heavier weights *may* cause increased muscle mass vs lighter weights, when used in similar methods, due to working the muscles to a greater extent.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 3:03 pm

My understanding is that muscle is heavier than fat. So gaining muscle will increase your weight more than losing the same volume of fat would decrease your weight. Which is why BMI (which is worked out using just your height and weight) isn't always helpful. Lean, heavily-muscled athletes may have a BMI that describes them as "overweight."

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 7:26 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
My understanding is that muscle is heavier than fat.
Muscle is denser than fat.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:04 am

I am just curious Is bodybuilding not always good for shorter people because all the muscle you build makes you look even shorter?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 2:09 pm

starkid wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
My understanding is that muscle is heavier than fat.
Muscle is denser than fat.

Aye, there's the word I was reaching for but didn't find!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 4:45 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I am just curious Is bodybuilding not always good for shorter people because all the muscle you build makes you look even shorter?

Not everyone can put on lots of muscle, so it depends on a person's body type.

I've never noticed a person looking shorter due to muscle, but then again I've not seen a lot of very muscular people.

Its seems like people would have to have seen someone both before and after putting on muscle to decide whether someone looks shorter.

JakeCorn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2021, 9:45 am

Weight training can cause weight gain due to an increase in muscle mass. If your strength trains regularly and improves your fitness level, your weight on the scale may increase while your body fat percentage decreases. Muscle is denser than fat and takes up more space. Water can change your weight. Ever notice you weigh less after a sweaty workout session? That loss of sweat can cause a decrease on the scale, just as a salty dinner can cause your weight to increase because your body is retaining water. Stress and social anxiety can cause weight gain. When you are under pressure from strenuous workouts or a tough day at the office, your body produces the stress hormone cortisol.