Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

stimulated
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2020, 3:58 am

Just joined the forum today. I know I have it, math genius, obsessive programmer, autodidact, social misfit, and can't relate to normals. Can't even imagine having to live a life of social obligation... :lol:

Just wondering what if any use a formal diagnosis might benefit me. Curious what the forum might think about this issue as well. I have exhaustively researched the condition and arrived at a very likely diagnosis of classic (male) autism.

What's it worth? I have my own plans on how to use it, but so far have not pursued any kind of diagnosis.

Would love it if I could get a marijuana prescription or maybe even enjoy some kind of casual therapy LOL.

What do you think wrong planet? What's a diagnosis worth anyway? :)

(US and EU national if that makes a difference)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:05 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I have not been assessed yet as here in the UK there are long waiting lists to be assessed, so I can't tell you from experience, but I guess it depends on two things. The first is to gain a greater understanding about yourself, as you may have researched, but it is nice to get your suspicions confirmed. The other is if you need any help in the areas that you may be struggling in. This may vary from one place to the next and it also depends on your needs. Some countries offer little or no help. Others are very good, but obviously, those who may not be struggling and have themselves a nice job and can support themselves without too many problems will need very little help other then an occasional thing which even an allistic person may need advice on!
So it varies a lot according to your needs, the situation you are in, your age etc. (I have mentioned before that I am found to be on the spectrum my mother is highly likely to be on the spectrum as well, but my Mum sees no point in her being assessed as she is of a retirement age, and my Mum does not struggle socially while I kinda do... As if I did not live with my Mum I would likely be VERY alone and isolated and not doing too well if left like this for a while, as I would likely end up with no job and not having an income).

For me, I knew nothing about autism until I hit crises point in my life several times with burnouts, and even then it was a God led coincidence (Coincidence is not the word but I can't think of the right word to use) that one thing happened after then next where I realized that I have autism traits and luckily have found this out and have had the help I need at just the right time. I do not even like to think what things would have been like if I did not have this help when I had it. And like I said. I am not assessed yet, so I may or may not be on the spectrum. But for me, it is needed as I need to make sense of things and have things confirmed so I can start moving on from where I am.

Anyway. Welcome to Wrong Planet. I don't know if I have answered your question, but either way, to find out more about yourself just by being here and asking the odd question has to be worth it!

stimulated
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2020, 6:33 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Some countries offer little or no help. Others are very good, but obviously, those who may not be struggling and have themselves a nice job and can support themselves without too many problems will need very little help other then an occasional thing...it varies a lot according to your needs, the situation you are in, your age etc. For me, I knew nothing about autism until I hit crises point in my life several times with burnouts, and even then it was a God led coincidence (Coincidence is not the word but I can't think of the right word to use) that one thing happened after then next where I realized that I have autism traits and luckily have found this out and have had the help I need at just the right time. I do not even like to think what things would have been like if I did not have this help when I had it.

Yea, I can relate to that. I realized that I was different, and that everybody else was similar in a way that I just couldn't really imitate completely. It didn't matter if I talked like them, acted like them, or mimicked their behaviors. There was something that I couldn't do that seemed to just came to them naturally.

It was a mystery until I went to college and found out that I am in the 'gifted' level for mathematics. Add that to the social problems and my 'obsessions' and it just started to make sense. Even though at first I didn't like the idea that I had autism, after I learned all about it, there was no denying it.

But, I'm using it to become successful now. And it may just turn out to be the greatest opportunity I could've ever hoped to have. Thanks.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 11:24 am

The laws for recreational drugs are different in each state. Marijuana is legal in MA and Me.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:29 pm

You do not have what is called "classic autism." Maybe by "classic autism" you mean "typical autism" (in contrast to "atypical autism").

Diagnoses are for disabled people, people whose conditions are implicated in serious problems in their life. If you really have no idea how a diagnosis can help you, you likely aren't disabled and therefore don't need a diagnosis, at least not at this point.

Do not abuse the system to get recreational drugs. You would just be messing things up for people who pursue medical marijuana, people who are actually disabled.

Your self-description suggests that your understanding of autism is just a bunch of stereotypes. Nothing you've posted suggests that you are autistic. Try looking up autism in the DSM, the ICD, or at least on a professional website (of a psychologist or research university, for example) for a more accurate understanding.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:42 pm

Welcome to wrong planet.

Some people need professional validation for their suspicions.

For your situation a diagnosis can be insurance in case your work or life situation goes bad in the future. You might be able to receive government benefits or accommodations at work. At that time you would be less able financially to afford a diagnosis. Some companies are now specifically looking for autistic people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman