Woman calls cops another Black Jogger

Page 45 of 70 [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 70  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 6:50 am

I don’t know if she’s a racist. She’s certainly the type who would call the cops for spurious reasons. I’ve known people like that.

I’m sure she’d take the ACD and community service if it’s offered.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 10:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t know if she’s a racist. She’s certainly the type who would call the cops for spurious reasons. I’ve known people like that.

I'm curious as to why you keep assuming she will plead guilty to this?

Has some information been released which hasn't made its way outside the region, or do you have a way of knowing exactly what her state of mind was at the time of the incident?

Outside that, I can't see any reason why she would plead guilty based on the information that has been made public.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 8:45 pm

Getting an ACD is not pleading guilty.

It means the case is put over for 6 months. If the defendant doesn’t get in trouble for 6 months, the case is dismissed and sealed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 8:57 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Was the appology before or after she had a chance to talk to him in a non-threatening (to her) situation?

She basically "spilled the beans" when making her apology. Her comment that "she felt threatened" was designed (probably on instructions from her lawyer) to prevent possible litigation based on the allegation she committing a hate crime.

So she hasn't quite taken full responsibility for her actions.

So, you know FOR A FACT that she didn't feel threatened in the situation she had been in?

If not, we have no reason not to believe what she said, and trying to make her out as a racist is simply a dishonest attempt to gain an appearance of moral superiority over her (and others who prefer to have all information instead of taking the pavlovian responce of "racism" based on a minimal amount of selective information).

I am not saying she is racist but she weaponised a racial meme on Christian in manner she calculated would have maximum impact. In the heat of the moment she knew what she was doing but I think where she misjudged was that she was being filmed and the consequence of getting the video uploaded wouldn't have hit her till after she walked away.

Her apology was likely stage managed in conjunction with her lawyer to minimise damage (if I earned as much money as Amy Cooper that's the first thing I would do is contact my lawyer).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 8:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm interested to see how the court responds...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 9:01 pm

It might not get out of arraignments. She probably got a Desk Appearance Ticket. She probably didn’t spend the night in jail.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 9:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She probably didn’t spend the night in jail.

I am confused by the word "probably". Isn't it supposed to be well known whether she did or not? Or are you talking about someone else?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 9:31 pm

I don’t think she’s been before a judge yet. At least I haven’t read about it.

Usually, people arrested for non-violent misdemeanors, and who has no record of bench warrants, get a DAT and are not arraigned until maybe a month after the arrest.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 9:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t think she’s been before a judge yet. At least I haven’t read about it.

Usually, people arrested for non-violent misdemeanors, and who has no record of bench warrants, get a DAT and are not arraigned until maybe a month after the arrest.

Was she even arrested? I thought this whole idea of getting her arrested came two months after the incident.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 10:15 pm

If she was charged, she was arrested.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 11:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

As I understand it (based on what her lawyer said in a previous video I linked), she got a "Desk Appearance Ticket", which is a form of arrest where you go in, get photos/fingerprints done, then can leave (no bail required?). These are done as a way to avoid having to go in front of a judge at the time and allow extra time for the prosecution to put together a full list of charges.

I may be wrong, in my understanding, though.

As to the ACD, if she believes she did nothing wrong (panic\anxiety related to the "threat"), she would be likely to push for a trial and "not guilty" verdict to clear her name. Taking an ACD, whilst not a guilty plea as such, would still be viewed by the public in general as equivalent to a "guilty" plea. (I also don't imagine her lawyer would have taken the case were she likely to just take an ACD, considering his profile\past cases he has done.)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 11:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

She has a history of fabricating stories. I looked her up and she did it to a doorman at her apartment because he wouldn't let her on the elevator because it was out of order. Another time she tried to get a work colleague into trouble and made up a story too. So I think she also fabricated this and pretended she was panicking. I saw the video and it was clear she was making it all up. The man started to film once she threatened him.

So she may not be racist in general but she played the race card on him and she isn't the only person who has done it. In 1955, a woman named Carolyn Bryant fabricated a story on a 14 year old boy Emmit Till and it cost him his life. in 2003, Carolyn admitted she had fabricated it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 11:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I guess this is a general law question, not related to her. So lets say we are talking about somebody else, not her. The situation where I would typically envision someone arrested is at the spot of committing a crime. As in, the person is caught red handed, brought to the police station, charges are filed, then the person is let go and is awaiting trial. But in the situation such as hers, where the charges were filed two months later, what is the point of arresting the person and having them spend a night in jail? If they are guilty, they will serve the full term -- not just a night -- after they are proven guilty in court. If they are not guilty, wouldn't it be "bad" to have them spend a night in jail over something they aren't guilty of? So what is the point of having them spend a night in jail, then releasing them, and then having them spend, say, a year in jail? Why separate this night from the rest of the year, what is the point? And like I said what if it turns out they are not guilty at the end, whouldn't it be unfair to have them spend a night in this case?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 11:48 pm

Brictoria wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
If it turns out the woman has a mental issue or she was abused as a kid so she perceived it as a threat because that was what her abuser did to her as a child and then beat her let's say, that can be used in court to help reduce her sentence. It is definitely not a normal reaction to react to, "If you don't do this, I will do something about it."

But the fact she had to mention African American as a first thing to describe him makes me think she is a racist and she weaponized it.

She reacted to ...

1) The man says, "I am going to do something you won't like".
2) He pulls out dog biscuits and threatens to lure her dog away.

She screamed at him not to harm her dog.

Curious, were you and anyone else in this thread abused? I am asking because you are all perceiving it as a threat while this looks like normal daily life stuff people say when you are not being good.

Plus Amy pretty much admitted in her apology that she misjudged him and was wrong about him. I hope she recognized her bias and challenge it.

Was the appology before or after she had a chance to talk to him in a non-threatening (to her) situation?

Just because YOU don't see a threat there doesn't mean others wouldn't see\believe in the possibility of a threat (as witnessed in this thread).

After this all went viral.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 11:49 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Curious, were you and anyone else in this thread abused? I am asking because you are all perceiving it as a threat while this looks like normal daily life stuff people say when you are not being good.

Plus Amy pretty much admitted in her apology that she misjudged him and was wrong about him. I hope she recognized her bias and challenge it.

Whether a threat happened or not is irrelevant...

Citizens don't have to wait for a crime .. they're told to report on people who appear suspicious.

Law enforcement tells us ...

New York ...It's OK to be wrong .. the POLICE WANT REPORTS OF POTENTIAL CRIMES

Black people are always suspicious.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 12:31 am

League_Girl wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Whether a threat happened or not is irrelevant...

Citizens don't have to wait for a crime .. they're told to report on people who appear suspicious.

Law enforcement tells us ...

New York ...It's OK to be wrong .. the POLICE WANT REPORTS OF POTENTIAL CRIMES

Black people are always suspicious.

If you say so. Seems a racist statement\assumption to make, though - But as that's your opinion, who am I to question it.

On the other hand, a male saying "I'm going to do what I want and you may not like it" to a female IS suspicious (at the very least).