Woman calls cops another Black Jogger

Page 1 of 70 [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 4:46 pm

A woman who called the police on a black man in a New York park and falsely claimed he was threatening her has been stood down from her job, after vision of the bizarre interaction went viral.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... ffa6ffe262
The man asked her to leash her dog and when she refused, began filming.
The footage, posted on Twitter by the man’s sister, has attracted more than 11 million views, and begins with the masked dog walker marching toward the man and demanding that he stop filming.
“Please don’t come close to me,” the man, who doesn’t appear on camera, is heard responding several times.
She continues to ask him to stop filming — and then threatens to call 911.
When the man invites her to “please call the cops,” she says: “I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life.”
Investment company Franklin Templeton, which employs the woman, has placed her on administrative leave.
“We take these matters very seriously, and we do not condone racism of any kind,” it said in a statement. “While we are in the process of investigating the situation, the employee involved has been put on administrative leave.”

Her name's Amy Cooper - Let's think of a name for this one? how about Central Park Sally?

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:37 pm

As far as a name, how about "Amy-nal Control Cooper"?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:47 pm

1.This is a huge park, why does this guy even go near them?
2. Why does he make it his business? (A little dog playing off its leash).
3. Filming is the act of a weirdo. (I'm going to film you if you don't do what I say).

She rightfully called the police on this guy.

The police can get this guy's name in case there's a crime in the area.

Be the hero of your life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:57 pm

Why should she have called the police? She was in a zone where leashing dogs is required.

And why did she lie about the man’s actions? That he was going to assault and rape her? She’s stark, raving mad.

I feel like the woman should be arrested for “falsely reporting an incident.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:57 pm

Amy Cooper, Central Park dog-walker at center of race storm, is fired

Quote:
The white Central Park dog-walker accused of launching a racist tirade against a black man has been fired, her former employer said Tuesday.

“Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the employee involved, effective immediately. We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton,” the investment firm tweeted of worker Amy Cooper.

On social media, Cooper is being referred to as “Karen,” the social media shorthand for white women who call the cops on black neighbors over harmless incidents.

Cooper was caught on video a day earlier calling the cops on Christian Cooper, a black bird-watcher, when he dared to tell her to put a leash on her dog, as is required in the park.

She snarled at Christian, “I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life” — sparking widespread outrage from critics accusing her of racism.

Christian Cooper recounts incident with Amy Cooper before Central Park video
Quote:
The black man accosted by a white dog-walker in Central Park has posted an online rundown of what happened right before videotaping the now-infamous confrontation.

Christian Cooper — a Harvard University grad, former Marvel Comics editor and a current member of the board directors for the New York City chapter of the Audubon Society, according to reports and the nature organization — wrote on Facebook on Monday:

“Central Park this morning: This woman’s dog is tearing through the plantings in the Ramble.

“ME: Ma’am, dogs in the Ramble have to be on the leash at all times. The sign is right there.

“HER: The dog runs are closed. He needs his exercise.

“ME: All you have to do is take him to the other side of the drive, outside the Ramble, and you can let him run off leash all you want.

“HER: It’s too dangerous.

“ME: Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it.

“HER: What’s that?

“ME (to the dog): Come here, puppy!

“HER: He won’t come to you.
see also
Things just went from bad to worse for Central Park 'Karen'

“ME: We’ll see about that…” before adding, “I pull out the dog treats I carry for just for such intransigence. I didn’t even get a chance to toss any treats to the pooch before Karen scrambled to grab the dog.

“HER: DON’T YOU TOUCH MY DOG!! !! !

“That’s when I started video recording with my iPhone, and when her inner Karen fully emerged and took a dark turn..

-then posted vid”

After cops arrived for a report of an “assault” at the park, they ended up leaving without filing any charges against anyone, police said.

Christian said in an interview set to air Tuesday that he had “the choice of either capitulating to this racist spin she was going to try to use to alter my behavior, or I could continue doing what I was doing, which was recording her scofflaw behavior on my iPhone.

“So I decided I wasn’t going to be racially intimidated and just keep recording on my iPhone,” he told Newsy app, according to producer Matt Simon on Twitter.

Christian studied government at Harvard between 1980 and 1984, when he received a bachelor’s degree, according to a LinkedIn page attributed to him by such outlets as Heavy.com.

He also worked for Marvel Comics for nine years both as a writer and editor, where he developed the first gay character for the “Star Trek” comics,” said the LGBT magazine The Advocate.

Christian is currently a biomedical editor, according to LinkedIn.

He also is a board director for the local Audubon Society. The national organization put out a statement Tuesday saying, “We unequivocally condemn racist sentiments, behavior, and systems that undermine the humanity, rights, and freedom of Black people."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 May 2020, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:58 pm

An obvious instance of racism.....

She deserves to be fired. We can’t have these sorts of people around us.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
An obvious instance of racism.....

She deserves to be fired. We can’t have these sorts of people around us.

An African American man was harassing her. Why is this racism?

What if some weirdo started filming you?

"As the video continues, Amy Cooper tells a 911 operator, "I'm sorry. I'm in the Ramble and there's a man, African American, he has a bicycle helmet. He is recording me and threatening me and my dog."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-woman- ... 15662.html

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:14 pm

I don't understand how recording a video equates to threatening someone's life.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:15 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:

He said he then told her, "if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

So, he admits to threatening her.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:22 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

He said he then told her, "if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

He admits to threatening her.

Saying that last part doesn't necessarily mean a threat to physically hurt someone. I can think of a number of things that those words could mean that don't refer to serious bodily harm.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:24 pm

She should have just leashed the dog.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She should have just leashed the dog.

Why? The police didn't ticket her.

Its's illegal for a barber to give a haircut on Sunday in Newyork City.
https://untappedcities.com/2017/09/28/c ... e-laws/11/

We selectively ignore laws because they're meant as a guidance.

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 26 May 2020, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2020, 7:02 pm

Not necessarily pertinent to this case but we need to be aware of how dangerous rushes to judgment extracted from video footage showing partial context can be for some of us who venture out in public alone.

https://damianpenny.com/2019/01/08/how- ... sons-life/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 7:27 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

I admit his facebook post suggests he was trying to be "do-gooder" but she's still the one in the wrong for breaching a bylaw and for falsely accusing the jogger of attacking her playing on his "black" background to get him arrested.

People commonly film litterbugs and I think the jogger's intentions were the same,

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 7:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

I admit his facebook post suggests he was trying to be "do-gooder" but she's still the one in the wrong for breaching a bylaw and for falsely accusing the jogger of attacking her playing on his "black" background to get him arrested.

People commonly film litterbugs and I think the jogger's intentions were the same,

She never breeched a bylaw.
She never said he attacked her.
She never played on his black background (whatever that means).

She was practicing freedom, and this guy intruded into her private space.

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 26 May 2020, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 7:59 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

She never breech a bylaw.
She never said he attacked her.
She never played on his black background (whatever that means).

Ask Kortie about the leash bylaw since he lives down the street from the park. She did say he attacked her, the article said she claimed there was an African American threatening her life.

Also, why do you think the guy was a weirdo for filming her? Was she walking her dog into the ladies room at the park when he started filming?