Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Starlight2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2020, 4:37 pm

greenmm37 wrote:
Starlight2001 wrote:
For me philosophical/speculative sci-fi is the best kind. My favorite book/movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I saw an earlier post in this thread that was mainly dystopias. I don't consider most of the famous dystopias science fiction because there's not much science in them. I've read a few of them and while they all describe possible futures there's little in them that talks about technological progress or discoveries. Those books are exceptions to what I usually read however. My favorite genre is optimistic science fiction. Seeing the good things people have envisioned for the future is wonderful, especially in times like these. 2001 has an insane computer in it but the world it describes is wonderfully optimistic. It's one of the few times I've encountered a fictional world I'd rather live in than this one.

I 100% concur on optimistic science fiction! It may be naivete but I certainly prefer to imagine a future in which things ultimately work out for the best. 2001 is one of my all-time favorite movies as well, and I was lucky enough to see it in a limited showing at a theater last year which was an awesome experience. I have had the book on my reading list for a long time but never have read through it in its entirety so this may be the push I need to start! I don't want to sound like a parrot, but at risk of just rehashing your points, I have a similar view to you in regards to dystopian fiction as well - I think it depends mostly on socio-political pessimism and does not explore the hope for a brighter and more advanced future (from my experience, the genre often displays a sort of regression of technology, discovery, and knowledge if anything, but my experience is somewhat limited). Although, I do love the mixing of themes with the so-called 'space western,' and am a fan of Cowboy Bebop and Firefly (tv shows, not books) but I love the technological setting of easy space travel with the somewhat familiar genre of the western.

I enjoyed Firefly and Cowboy Bebop as well, though Mal and Jayne annoyed me. We seem to have similar ideas and interests. If you want to talk with me sometime you can PM me. I'm usually able to answer quickly.

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2020, 5:32 pm

Quote:
I enjoyed Firefly and Cowboy Bebop as well, though Mal and Jayne annoyed me. We seem to have similar ideas and interests. If you want to talk with me sometime you can PM me. I'm usually able to answer quickly.

Once again I have to agree! Mal and Jayne bottom out my list of characters from Firefly (my favorite characters are Book, Wash, Zoe and River); also agree about having similar interests and the like - I appreciate the invitation to talk further! I just want to let you know I'm really shy about reaching out to people (even my closest friend) but 1) don't let that stop you if you ever want to reach out and talk to me, and 2) please don't take it personally if I rarely initiate PMing, I definitely will if I ever have something I want to talk about. Thanks again.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 6:02 pm

these are older titles and even older authors , but loved most of all Robert Heinlien i read ,
He was a early scifi writer ...
And Phillip K Dick has some really great plot twists and turn abouts , in his writings .
Several movies and redux of movie have been done based on His works .
" Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep " = movie "Blade Runner " if i recall that correctly .
Then movie "Total recall" was based on another book of his .

where ever you go ,there you are

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 6:12 am

^Optimistic sci-fi: I think that's why "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" was so popular when it came out a few years ago. It described a galactic civilisation where life would actually be worth living, at a time when most new space opera was relentlessly dark, edgy and brutal.