YouTuber slammed for ‘rehoming’ adopted autistic son

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 5:29 pm

YouTuber Myka Stauffer slammed for ‘rehoming’ adopted autistic son Huxley

Quote:
This past September, influencer Myka Stauffer posted a photo on Instagram showing off her modern family — including the son she adopted in 2017. “I love this big crazy family!! Wouldn’t change a thing about it.”

The 32-year-old might have spoken too soon.

Stauffer and her husband, James, posted a YouTube video titled “An update to our family” to their channel Tuesday that caused outrage online: They’ve decided to “rehome” their adopted 4-year-old son, Huxley.

James, a car detailer, explains in the video that they came to the brutal decision after discovering “there were a lot more special needs that we were not aware of.” The tearful mom added, “Do I feel like a failure as a mom? 500%.”

Twitter seemed to agree with Myka, accusing her of using Huxley solely for her YouTube channel.

“@MykaStauffer adopted an autistic child from china and after years of having him, she gave him up for adoption because he had ‘bad behavior’ after using him for $$$ on her youtube channel,” wrote one user.

Another seethed: “She adopted a child for views and then got rid of him and treated him like a brand deal.”

There are even calls to have the family’s sponsors pulled, with angry internet justice seekers calling to #cancelstauffers.

Stauffer, who boasts 162,000 followers on Instagram and more than 700,000 subscribers on YouTube, has garnered partnerships with big-name companies like Big Lots, TJ Maxx and Danimals yogurt.

She first introduced her China-born son to her followers in 2 ½ years ago. In that video, Stauffer admits that her adoption journey “hadn’t been a cakewalk,” but glowed, “He’s doing really well, and it’s so cool to see him transform.”

The tot apparently has autism and brain damage, according to Stauffer, who has four biological children: Radley, Onyx, Kova and Jaka.

“Numerous medical professionals have felt that he needed a different fit. He needed more,” Stauffer says while fighting back tears in the video filmed in the couple’s bed. She added that an adoption agency had helped place Huxley with his “forever family.”

“He’s thriving, he’s doing really well, and his new mommy has medical, professional training,” she adds.

The couple begged for “privacy” in the seven-minute video in which they detailed consulting “medical professionals and agencies” to come to their heart-wrenching decision.

“I didn’t adopt a little boy to share these things publicly … Ninety-nine, 95 percent of the struggles we have never publicly aired,” she says.

But two months ago, she alluded to the struggles. “Last month was the hardest month I have ever had as my mama,” she wrote in a March 28 post, using hashtags #adoptiontrauma and #reactiveattachmentdisorder, referencing a condition where children have trouble forming emotional bonds with their caretakers.

Whether it was all a publicity stunt, or they really could not handle him Huxley is outta there and in a better place and that is what matters, not the social media drama.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 11:00 pm

It's good that he's at least with a family that can properly take care of him now. I haven't ever watched this woman's videos, nor have I even heard of her before, so I can't comment on how her and her family have handled this. I do feel like "rehoming" a young child with apparent reactive attachment disorder, who has also been with you for half of his life, might not be an entirely amazing idea regarding said attachment disorder. If they did consult with medical professionals I would assume that has been considered, though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 4:08 pm

I am happy they were able to find a family who can handle his needs. I can't imagine what it would be like if he was their biological son and he had autism. Would they still have put him up for an adoption? They had four other children to care for and I guess he was taking all their attention away from them. That can be very damaging for the child to be neglected because of a special needs sibling getting all their parents attention.

I am also in agreement with RAD, that is a possibility and RAD can also mimic autism. It's just that is so rare that not very many medical professionals know about it but social workers do. A social worker would be the first person to go to when you adopt and your kid has problems. They have programs for kids with it and that means they get sent away to a home where they all live.

Adopt a kid from over seas, from foster care, higher chances of RAD. And families with RAD have given up their RAD child because it was the only way they could get their kid help. They were able to find someone who specialized in it and could work with them but that meant giving up their adoption.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 6:27 pm

Rehoming is term for pets due to Craigslist not allowing selling of pets. To refer to a child that way is so dehumanizing.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2020, 5:08 am

I can’t stand celebrity culture anyway so shallow hopefully the kid will go to a home where he’ll be better looked after.

It’s been a bad week for autism parenting anyway:

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020 ... iami-dade/

- George Bernie Shaw

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 1:55 pm

I think if more people gave their kids up for an adoption, less kids would be getting abused and there would be less autistic murders too. But people are too concerned about their rep and other peoples thoughts about them so they keep their child and guess what happens to the child?

These people here were brave for what they did. That boy was lucky.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 3:02 am

Latest news is the you tube "star" Stauffer as a result of the widespread backlash, Stauffer’s deals with multiple major brands have been “terminated”.
Stauffer, who also boasts 162,000 followers on Instagram and 700,000 YouTube subscribers, had garnered partnerships with big-name companies like Big Lots, TJ Maxx and Danimals yoghurt.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 4:51 pm

So.... I actually had watched a lot of videos from this family circa 2017 to 2018, but I had to unsubscribe because she was just such a terrible parent and it was making me tense to watch. First she took all her kids out of school and decided she would home school them herself, in her home schooling videos it was clear that even her NT kids started falling behind in math, and she would talk so unkindly to them when they'd mess up too! She would teach them the wrong names for plants and animals on hikes. One time she even bought a juniper tree calling it a "blueberry tree" and said she was going to feed the berries to her kids. No no no! Those are not edible unless cooked, and even then only some junipers are! Anyway, surprise surprise, she just decided to stop homeschooling abruptly, yanking her kids into and out of their school settings. I also didn't like the way she talked to Huxley. So I unfollowed them. Because I did, I had no idea about how she would duct tape his thumb to his hand to stop him from thumb sucking or about how exploitative she was making most of her videos about him, and yet having most of her family instagram with only her biological kids in them.

The worst part is that he is not "in a new adoptive family," and rehoming him wasn't "Huxley's idea 100%" as she has claimed in the media. They dumped him into the foster care system. He is being fostered right now. So he might get adopted, or he might not. It's unclear. Also, he is non-verbal and 4 years old. How could he have possibly communicated to Myka that he wanted to leave the family?

I don't know her personally, but Myka seems like a classic creepy narcissistic youtuber to me. Her husband seems more caring about the kids and less intense (doesn't really want to vlog as much), but he also let all of this happen without intervening, and so is equally to blame.

Last edited by Fern on 02 Jun 2020, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 4:55 pm

I had never heard of a "you tube star" before this.

How does / did she make money?

Thanks for the info, Fern. It's deplorable.
It links to what I wrote in the Rants thread about abusive parents.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 5:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Most of the revenue for her site came from ads and sponsorships she got from his adoption videos. She even asked for donations to cover his adoption fees in the first place and got thousands of dollars for it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 5:03 pm

Fern wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Most of the revenue for her site came from ads and sponsorships she got from his adoption videos. She even asked for donations to cover his adoption fees in the first place and got thousands of dollars for it.

Usually if I return an unwanted item to the store, I get a refund.

She returned her item. Perhaps she could issue a refund as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 7:14 pm

Fern wrote:

These are the parents that adoption agencies are supposed to screen out but adoption laws are ridiculously bureaucratic and there is likely no sensible decisions involved. In China and India there are criminal gangs involved in the acquisition of children so the demand for adoption creates misery.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 7:15 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Usually if I return an unwanted item to the store, I get a refund.

She returned her item. Perhaps she could issue a refund as well.

I hope you are joking?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 7:20 pm

My brother adopted my nephew as a single father. I've seen the process of adoption and I know how much bureaucracy is involved. He wasn't an easy child and has a complicated history. We were all screened for a long time after the adoption took place. I can't imagine adopting a child half-heartedly, or giving up on a child if they didn't fit.

Once they are adopted they are your child, as much as your biological children.

Of course I was joking about the refund, but she treated this boy like internet chattel.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 11:34 pm

The heartlessness is staggering. She even monetized the video where they say that they "rehomed him." So thanks to this story hitting the news hard, they are making a ton of money from the act of abandoning their kid.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 11:40 pm

I believe he's three years old?

Maybe in 10+ years he'll join WP and find a family with us here.