White man calls cops on black business owners

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 4:38 am

A Minneapolis white man has been accused of racially profiling a group of black entrepreneurs in a video that has gone viral.
In the video, the white man threatened to call the cops on the group after they entered the office building’s communal gym.
Tom Austin, the managing partner of F2 Group, questioned whether they really worked there and said he would call the police as they were trespassing in the MozAic East building on Lagoon Ave.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... c127bde33b

The group of African-Americans, who all run social media company Top Figure based in the building, started filming the incident, which they said occurred around 8pm on Monday.
“Normally we don’t speak out about encounters of racial profiling and age discrimination that we face day to day in our lives as young black entrepreneurs,” Top Figure said after posting the video to their Instagram page.
“As we were working out this man approached and immediately asked us who we were and if ‘WE BELONG’ in this building.”
He is also seen taking pictures of them, before adding: “What office are you in? I'm calling 911 now.”
Top Figure noted that tenants of the building need a key card to access every part of the building.
“We all pay rent here and this man demanded that we show him our key cards or he will call the cops on us,” they said on social media.
“We are sick and tired of tolerating this type of behaviour on a day to day basis and we feel that we had to bring light onto this situation.”
Having been caught out, Mr Austin was apologetic.
He told Newsweek in an email that he “f***ed up” and “should have handled it differently”, but insisted the incident had nothing to do with race.
“They got in my face in a very threatening manner and I threatened back to call (building) security. I would have done this regardless of race. So this is bullsh**,” Mr Austin said.
The incident in the gym occurred a day after the death of George Floyd, a black man, following his arrest in Minneapolis.
Racial tensions are currently at an all-time high in America, with riots taking over the country.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 4:40 am

Here's Tom Austin calling the police on the businessmen in their own building space :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 3:59 am

An update on this story

Tom Austin, a venture capitalist in Minneapolis has had his lease in the building terminated by the landlord who has accused him of racially profiling other tenants in the building.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogo ... b76a3f27a4
He can now join the long list of racists being served justice

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 5:54 am

I would expect this in Alabama, but not Minnesota.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 8:08 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Having been raised in Michigan, I can say that many southern racists move north at their first opportunity in a vain effort to get away from what they call "coloreds" down south.  It surprises me not at all to see yet another example of a misplaced cracker trying to hold on to and express his antebellum ways.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:48 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Up to the 1990s Minnesota was 96% white. It was one of the whitest spaces in the USA (not unlike Colorado, Oklahoma or Arizona)

The locals probably still undergoing "white flight" that other states experienced back in the 1970s or 80s.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:54 am

It was reported that he was fired as CEO.

Though, since he's also "managing partner", it probably doesn't affect him.

Be the hero of your life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 8:54 pm

You'd think that guy would have gotten a hint about making spurious calls about blacks to the police, as it's been on TV for a while now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 9:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
You'd think that guy would have gotten a hint about making spurious calls about blacks to the police, as it's been on TV for a while now.

It's funny he said afterward that he used the words "I knew I f**ed up" when he called the police - obviously as he was being filmed he realised he was caught calling police making false claims.