Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 11:38 pm

What does everyone think of pepe le pew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 11:42 pm

Nicest skunk around.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 12:16 am

He's annoying and his cartoons are insufferably repetitive. All the Looney Tunes characters do pretty much the same thing over and over again, but some I can stomach more than others—Pepe is the absolute worst.

And there is some vague horror in the fact that he's basically stalking the female cats. The cartoon is more disturbing than entertaining.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 1:08 am

He isn't very intelligent either. He can't ever figure out that the female "skunk" is really a cat with white paint on her back.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 3:55 am

I haven't given much thought to Pepe Le Pew since I left the fourth grade in 1965.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 4:19 am

But now that you ask me to think about him ...there are some flaws in logic in his cartoons.

Skunks are strictly North American animals , and are not native to Europe. So how could he be French? Okay...maybe he is French Canadian.

But the main problem is that he gives off odor all of the time. Skunks only give off that smell when they lift their tails and shoot the scent at a target enemy in self defense. The rest of the time they don't smell that way. So it doesn't really make sense that those lady kitty cats would be repelled that way. :)

But he was an innovative cartoon character in some ways. Having a skunk who spoke in the voice of Charles Boyer paved the way for the later "George of the Jungle" series- which featured a gorilla who spoke like Ronald Coleman!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 6:20 am

I find him okay. He’s a caricature of an unsuccessful Don Juan type.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 6:32 am

No real opinions or analysis here (as with any characters and references) except that he's hilarious to watch.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 6:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But the main problem is that he gives off odor all of the time. Skunks only give off that smell when they lift their tails and shoot the scent at a target enemy in self defense. The rest of the time they don't smell that way. So it doesn't really make sense that those lady kitty cats would be repelled that way.  

In fairness, weasel-adjacent creatures tend to be pretty odourous even when not self-defending. But yeah, played up times about a billion.

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2020, 7:29 am

Did anyone see the infamous porky pig video where he actually swears? It's amazing what people do with things even today! There is one instance I remember from a british comedy sitcom called One Foot In the Grave where a stereotypical elderly grump called Victor Meldrew was surprised to receive a package for someone else that he then opens and it's this big scary spider the size of microwave oven.His reaction was like whaaaaaat the heeeeeck?!It was really funny!

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 10:14 am

Hokieman7 wrote:
Did anyone see the infamous porky pig video where he actually swears? It's amazing what people do with things even today! There is one instance I remember from a british comedy sitcom called One Foot In the Grave where a stereotypical elderly grump called Victor Meldrew was surprised to receive a package for someone else that he then opens and it's this big scary spider the size of microwave oven.His reaction was like whaaaaaat the heeeeeck?!It was really funny!

I saw the one where Yosemite Sam told the Devil to go to Hell.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 11:43 am

The first year of The Flintstones is incredibly non-PC, with some very adult quips.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 2:01 pm

Am shocked!

The worst things I remember ever hearing cartoon characters say was "sufferin' succotash!", and "heavens to Mergatroid!".

Though one of my favs when I was 8 was "Beany and Cecil" (cartoon boy, sea serpent friend, and sea captain dad, who had adventures sailing round the world). This was when, in the real life news, they were testing H bombs at the Bikini Atoll in the South Pacific. In one episode of Beany and Cecil they visited an island called "the No Bikini Atoll" . That was a bit of risque' topical humor.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2020, 6:43 pm

I honestly don’t remember ever having seen a Pepe Le Pew cartoon. At first I thought Pepe the WrongPlanet user had created him.

I also don’t remember any stories starring Witch Hazel, Barnyard Dog, or Marvin the Martian, although I was aware of Marvin’s existence, possibly through Space Jam merchandise.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 6:14 am

Marvin was in a TV sitcom called “My Favorite Martian” back in the 1960s.

I’m thinking the other 2 were in Hanna/Barbera cartoons from the 50s/60s.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 7:19 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
What does everyone think of pepe le pew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew

Vague memory from childhood; exaggerated French accent; irrelevant.