Advice for writing a fictional journal

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2020, 9:39 pm

I'm writing a novel that's basically a series of journal entries, any advice on how to make it realistic; especially in regards to subtle details?

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2020, 10:22 pm

I think first you need to decide who is writing the journal, so your entries have a consistent writing style and personality behind them. A teenaged girl and a 47 year old Russian Lit professor would have vastly different journal entries, both in content and style.

So basically, get to know your journal-writer, and not just the events he/she is going to document in the journal.

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2020, 2:51 pm

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
I think first you need to decide who is writing the journal, so your entries have a consistent writing style and personality behind them. A teenaged girl and a 47 year old Russian Lit professor would have vastly different journal entries, both in content and style.

So basically, get to know your journal-writer, and not just the events he/she is going to document in the journal.

I see, thanks.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

ArnoldWilder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2020, 3:41 pm