Do your lives revolve around internet forums?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2020, 11:58 pm

Only because your friends are too busy to bother with you, so you end up making a fool of yourself on internet forums. Just to pretend you matter for once, even if in a bad way.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2020, 12:04 am

My live revolve mostly from writing on social networks.

I am too busy to bother with internet forums in general, so I end up making a fool of myself on the other side of the free expression venue. To me it's not matter, it's spiritual and virtual, not necessary in a bad way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 12:10 am

My life used to revolve around WP and other Internet forums. There was a time that I used to spend the majority of my daytime hours on WP. My life revolves around my hobbies and interests these days. I try to make time to post on WP once a week. I like to keep all of you posted om how things are going in my life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 12:14 am

I have WP open on a laptop and I post when I'm not reading, or doing other hobbies.

I think I use it as a personal entertainment (word games / posting music), or to keep a bit of diary about what's happening in my life via the posts I write.

I wouldn't say my life revolves around it at all. I can be on here typing but my mind and my heart are a million miles away on other things.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 12:24 am

WP is the first forum I've ever joined, so I could see if I really am autistic (undiagnosed) or not. I must be because so far I haven't read anything that I've had a problem with, even though I don't agree with everything.
I check in too many times a day haha, but that's because I'm at home so much. It's a decent site, happy to be here.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 1:46 am

more forums, i don't know any
even this is more depressing than not, so logically i shouldn't do this at all :|

(as an prediction i guessed by 2020 internet would be gated, i gathered commercially, but its even more dire)

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 2:35 am

My life used to revolve around them. Back in the day I was a regular on several super big ones.

pokeystinker wrote:
Only because your friends are too busy to bother with you, so you end up making a fool of yourself on internet forums. Just to pretend you matter for once, even if in a bad way.

Well that is super specific, but I get it. I take it that's a statement reflective of your experience? Funny how people say "you" when they mean "I" sometimes.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 2:38 am

Sadly, yes.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 3:09 am

No.

My life revolves around countless personal inconsistencies and attempts to make order out of it accordingly to those around me, which is just as countless of a variable.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 7:33 am

No, but they cause significant eddies in the general rotatation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 8:24 am

My life revolves around lots of things; work, family, friends, pets, hobbies, errands, housekeeping, bills, health, money... I could go on and on. So, yeah, I suppose WP and other internet sites are part of my life too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 8:27 am

My life revolves around my wife, kids, grandkids, work, church, and solving other people's problems.  An occasional overseas trip is also included.  WP is a side-interest.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 8:44 am

Yeah, unfortunately. I guess as the OP says, I don't have social life so I don't know what else to do. Except that its worse than what OP says. Its not like my supposed friends are too busy; rather its that I don't have friends on the first place.

Internet is not a solution since its not real. If anything, its addictive and it ruins my studies. Before COVID 19 hit, I was looking for various tricks to get myself off of the internet. Like I would purposely leave my computer in the office, so that I wouldn't go to internet in my dorm, and then I would go studying some place really far away from my office, so that I would avoid interent while studying, and I would also leave a cell phone elsewhere as well. Well, it didn't work too well, since I needed cell phone to call the uber. So then I would take a cell phone and not take its charger so that I would have an insentive not to use up its charge. But nope, I ended up using up its charge anyway and then buying a charger. So it wasn't too effective.

One thing that made it difficult -- before COVID 19 hit -- is that there is no place to run away from seeing others socializing. And each time I see them, I feel miserable. Then -- after COVID 19 hit -- I first thought that things would get easier. I was walking by near-empty streets where the few people that were around were by themselves, just like me. But nope it didn't become easier. They locked down the buildings so "if" I were to leave my computer at the office, I wouldn't be able to write any physics papers either. So I had to take the computer out of the office. And now, with the lockdown, I can't go study in the restaurant either (the days when I thought that COVID 19 would somehow help me was "before" the lockdown started) So now I have 24/7 internet access.

I guess my solution to this is that -- since I am not going to get away from the internet during the lockdown -- lets at least make the best use of it possible, and publish as much of my un-published physics papers as I possibly can. And then -- after COVID 19 is over -- I will celebrate it by taking a few day trip without my computer and cell phone and WITH a bunch of physics textbooks so that I could study them without any disraction. And, as an added bonus, I will be able to study them without thinking that I "should" be working on my publications, since I will have all my publications already.

Well, I don't think this plan will work as nicely as I hope. For one thing, it is really hard for me to convince journals to accept my papers, as my track record shows. I am planning to do few things different -- such as trying to focus more on my past papers that are already written as opposed to writing something new -- but I don't really know how much it would help, I would have to come back and tell you. And, for the other thing, COVID 19 probably won't end as cleanly as I hope it would. It probably would be dangerous to go on trains (and yes I picture myself taking a train) and maybe it will even be dangerous to be in restaurants too. So I will still be at home stuck with my laptop. But who knows, I can always hope.

Incidentally, a year before COVID 19 hit, I met a girl online and we were going to skype for the first time, but I was late due to me taking few day trip without my laptop. I was all worried about being late, but she ended up liking it since she said she was impressed by how brave I was to take a trip by myself. And then there was another occasion -- few years ago -- when I told a girl how I got lost back as a kid when I tried to cross the forest, and she was impressed too. I turned off both of these girls later on -- in both cases due to being needy. But the thing is that both of them were turned "on" by my travels, even though I wasn't even trying to do it I was just talking. And then there was a third case when I went to a campground by myself and tried to put on a tent and then in the morning a girl complimented me on how well I did it (I didn't know what to respond to her, not too used to it, so it didn't know beyond the compliment). So who knows maybe if I keep traveling I "would" get myself a girlfriend this way? Once again, given how sporadic those incidents were, it might be too much to hope for. But if you compare to how sh***y I am doing otherwise, it might at least be "something".

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 9:24 am

Not at all. This one is the only one I've been active in in a few years... but well, I suppose it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that my freetime revolves around different sites in the internet. I do other stuff than just surf the net too of course, but my computer does take most of my freetime.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 10:03 am

This is the only forum I'm on but I'd say my life does honestly revolve a lot around the internet and social media. I spend a lot of time on Discord, Tumblr, Facebook, and other websites. I'm also constantly using the internet to stream shows and music. I also take all my college classes online, but I feel like that's different.

My Tumblr

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 10:34 am

I like fora better than other social media but honestly I am not using them much any more; would love to leave W.P. entirely because it's just getting kind of dull around here and doesn't seem to help. I like a few of the people here though.