Do your lives revolve around internet forums?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 1:00 pm

The 'Similar Topics' section at the bottom of the page (as of this writing) include discussion threads related to topic.

Examples:

* Will Internet Forums Make a Comeback?

* These Forums Have Become My New Internet Hangout.

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2020, 3:46 pm

This might sound weird but I'm not sure that my life revolves around anything and wouldn't I get dizzy?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 3:49 pm

WP is the only forum I’ve really stuck with, although I’ve tried out a few others. This is my main source of social interaction with anyone outside my immediate family (no friends who even live in the same state as me), so I suppose that at least to some extent, yes.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 1:41 am

Not really; I have other things going on in my life, albeit not the typical job/school/personal relationships (although I am actively looking for the latter).

I work out daily and do thinking/planning/shopping related to making environmentally responsible and healthy decisions. I keep a journal, and I'm currently working on improving my physical appearance.

Right now I have things to do related to settling into my new apartment. Once that's done, I might go back to focusing on studying foreign languages and being an amateur musician.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 3:35 am

No, I spend quite a bit of time on social media but my wife is much more important to me. So is my son and the few real-life friends I have, though we don't get to see each other very often. The Internet is a convenient way for me to connect with a lot more people than I would be able to in real life, and I find it less of a challenge than having a lot of real-life friends. With this virus thing it's rarely safe to meet them anyway. I use social media to keep in touch with them.

I don't think I've ever made a fool of myself on social media, though I expect there have been a few times when I've annoyed people there a little. As it's all written-word and there's lots of time to refine what I want to say, I'm more able to choose my words wisely and I like the improved opportunity it gives me to stay courteous and reasonable without stifling my true opinions too much. In real life it often takes me too long to express my take on subjects and things tend to move on before I've been able to contribute much. There's no problem on the Web about being able to get a word in edgeways, nobody can interrupt anybody or shout anybody down, the right moment to speak out doesn't vanish so quickly. If I feel angry I can wait till the feeling has subsided a little so that reason doesn't take wings, though I don't get angry much anyway. As there's a written record of the whole thing, nobody can lie about what was said. The real-life clues about social status largely disappear. I also find that the more I use social media, the more articulate I become in real life.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 1:39 pm

pokeystinker wrote:
Only because your friends are too busy to bother with you, so you end up making a fool of yourself on internet forums. Just to pretend you matter for once, even if in a bad way.

Yes, of course.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 5:26 am

No.

Although I may have been spending a bit more time here lately, since I have a considerable amount of free time now.

On a different forum, I was quite active online when I was sixteen, but I visit there less often these days. To the point where I'll post something and I'll get the response "Hey, I didn't know you were still here! It's good to see you around again".

Usually I'll go through phases of activeness in a forum. I do have a life outside of visiting them. Eventually I end up leaving or visiting so little that I've almost left. I still visit the previously mentioned forum to offer the occasional advice or remark, but it's much less frequent to what it used to be.

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2020, 6:50 am

I do use forums a lot more than I used to.What is a BAP anyways?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:43 pm

Hokieman7 wrote:
I do use forums a lot more than I used to.What is a BAP anyways?

Broad Autism Phenotype.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is- ... ype-260048

Quote:
The term broad autism phenotype describes an even wider range of individuals who exhibit problems with personality, language, and social-behavioral characteristics at a level that is considered to be higher than average but lower than is diagnosable with autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 6:47 pm

When I’m not on WP, I’m howling at the Moon :P

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 11:19 pm

Not necessarily forums, but I would say my social life relies heavily on the internet in general. Most of my friends have been online friends and it's much easier to interact with people online. I do prefer to use forums over other forms of social media, though.