05 Jun 2020, 1:26 am

sly279 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
sly279 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
The answer so far appears to be "No! Of course not! But it's the liberals' fault!!"
Best summary in the thread.

:cheers:

This. Also, this oxygen thief deployed military forces against Americans who were peacefully exercising their first amendment rights.

I used to wonder if all the people in North Korea were just pretending to worship their Glorious Leader to save their hides. Now, after observing my fellow countrymen, I know that some people really are that deep into the cult that they will worship whomever pats them on the head and gives them an enemy to look down on.

I'm scared. I'm also thankful I'm no longer in the military where I'd have to take orders from this potato.

If I throw rocks, bricks and water bottles at you am peaceful or will you call the police for asault?

Were the protesters at Lafayette Square throwing bricks and water bottles at the president?

Cite something other than a far-right Facebook page or YouTube channel.

They were throwing them at secrete service, who’d be failing their job if the president was ever in range of such attacks.
President obama came to visit my town so security pushed us all away from places he’d go. I got stopped by police on way to a paintball game.
The president of the United States as well as any leader gets a security bible around them. The protesters refused the command to move and so were moved. If the queen of England wanted to go for a drive or walk you bet dollar on dollar her security would gsss and spray protesters to clear a path. This happens for every single president of the USA.

Blocking roads isn’t legal protesting. People are not allowed to be in the roads or block them. Disobeying laws isn’t law-abiding.

So are you saying that the Secret service would or should let Obama walk through a angry tea party protest?
Should angry protesters dictate where the president or any American citizens can go? If so why is it ok for them to protest for freedoms from abuse while abusing other people’s freedoms?
The day we let angry mobs dictate where our president can’t and can’t go is the day we lost law and order.

If police tell you that you are illegally gathering and to move or be made to move. What would you do?

Even so protesting on the roads is not a crime in which capital punishment should be used. Also civil disobedience...yes in normal circumstances you cannot just block the highway. But part of civil disobedience is breaking some smaller laws to have the gathering to draw attention to it, its not exactly civil disobedience if a single rule is not broken.

Sure blocking a road is pesky but if the people doing it are going about it peacefully then you just kind of have to let it happen....its no excuse to try to bulldoze through them with a big truck just to make a point. The truck driver probably already knew there was a blockage...they have radios to radio things into each other....so there is no way that driver just had no idea there were protestors blocking that road and was just innocently driving through unable to stop. They would have known so yeah regardless of what anyone on the internet says...that truck driver at the very least should be charged with reckless driving. It doesn't matter if people 'should' be blocking the road or not...its a matter of if you have tons of protesters blocking a road it is not appropriate to try to run them over.

Like when back in the 60's they had sit ins at buisinesses, it would not have been appropriate to bring a fire-arm to shoot all the protestors. Just like now days if people are having a protest that blocks the road from usual use, that does not give you the right to run them over.

It probably makes people with the oversized pick up trucks angry that it is not legal to just run people the f**k over, but well screw those guys.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 3:21 am

I see vidoes of them attacking cars, attacking people who they deem not one of them, throwing stuff at police. Sorry it’s not peaceful most of the time. I will never attend such “protests”
Blocking the road is illegal the police tell the. Nicely to love and they don’t. Last few days have been nice know why? They been keeping off the roads, so the police leave them alone. We haven’t even had to have curfews last few nights. Police don’t care if they want to gather at park, government building, or walk around the sidewalks chanting hate speech. That’s all it takes. Having respect of the law and others.
If I showe up to protest I might get beat for how I dress and look, not that I’d ever attend anything screaming about only good cop is a dead cop and wanting cops to be killed. Again that’s nit peaceful.
My sister who is more liberal then me stayed away cause of that too.
Blocking road can be deadly for example our hospital was put on lockdown, so anyone who got hurt would have to go further to the next hospital, sure hope their condition isn’t time sensitive. God forbid the ambulance get stuck in the protest and have the para,edits pulled out and beat for “ supporting the racist government”

No he wouldn’t. The protests don’t have set paths. They just roam wherever. No one knew they were going onto the freeway when they did. Makes it a real pain to try to avoid protests when you don’t where or when it’s going be at. Don’t see why they can’t just stay at the courthouse or government building or park they start at. He didn’t try to run anyone over, or he’d kept going full speed. Do you have any ideal how hard it’d be to stop a truck? Running those people over would been like a car running over a squirrel
He hit the breaks as soon as he saw people but like I pointed out it takes 525 feet to stop and if you watch the video that’s about how long it took for his truck to stop. Now people are attacking truck drivers all over the country. Sure sounds peaceful.
In my city the protesters were on the sidewalk other night and a car driving buy speed up some to get by quick and avoid having their car damaged or being dragged out, and the “protesters” took down their plates so they can find them later and get revenge.
The horror a car drove fast past you how dare they. Wait that happens every single day in my neighborhood and I don’t try to track them down for revenge. I don’t declare that driver must hate autistics that’s the only reason they’d be driving fast on the road past me. How’d you feel if a protest of trump supports Surrounded surrounded your car and began banging on it screaming “ get the f**k out p****” then they smash your back window and then Your side window. What would you do? Would you feel afraid for your life?

What the f**k are you on about? Only times police have shot guns is when shot at. They use nonlethal Tear gas, pepper spray And rubber bullets after multiple warnings disperse.
I’d get my ass moving. And when protesters do they don’t have any of that used on them.

I dont know about Colorado but in my state surrounding someone and preventing modes of leaving is kidnaping and you can use any force needed including lethal force to escape. So yes it’s perfectly legal to run people over to escape an angry mob that’s surrounded your car and won’t let you leave, especially when they start to break your windows and try to pull you out. It takes only second or two for a mob of people to beat someone to death.

But hey know what before they finally started walking on sidewalk a few people tried to tell people “move, let them through” and other protesters attacked them for doing so.
There’s people at every protest who just want to hurt others and do whatever they want. There some who just want to protest peacefully and they get attacked for it.

I really hope you can imagine the above situation and I’d bet you’d run down those maga protesters to escape. Just like if someone traps me in my car and then try’s to pull me out I’m reaching for my gun and telling them to back off or I’ll shoot.ik not getting killed on the street without a fight. I’m non violent, but I’ll defend myself or others lives.
Just as if a mob of maga hat people were trying to drag you out of a car and beat you up I’d do everything I could to stop them.
And praise to the protests the real protests who step in and get hit to stop others from hurting people just trying to drive though. I watched white people call a black man slave, and b***h for the police and other stuff cause he was trying to stop looting. Same guy put himself between angry mob and some conservatives after they got stopped in their car when protest went down a street. The poor conservative got out of his car and got a Unloaded rifle to try to Get people to move so his wife in the car could move it forward without running anyone over. Who knows what would have happen if not for That black
man. So for that he got called p**** and other names.

Not all this happens hours after the offical protest is over and most the peaceful protests go home, leaving most white “protesters”
They start the planned protest every day at 10 am and go to 6 where most go homel then the others start to walk around down until 1 am. It’s the second half where the trouble happens. I’m just avoiding that whole city so I don’t get kidnapped in my own car.
I will never be able to support any black lives matter protest due to their actions.
I wish there was a true peaceful protest I could attend without fearing if being judged for how I look and then attacked.
Then again pro gun protests are peaceful ur get attacked by antifa and such. Probably best I just avoid any protest. While unfortunately that means I can’t use my first amendment rights to protest it’s safer. I’m non violent, I don’t know how to fight,I’ve never fought. I no longer have friends to protect me. I dont know anyone who attends protests to be safe with. So I stay home and watch the streams and hope it stays away from you area. My half sister apparently lives downtown so I worry for her.
I’m even afraid voice my opinion on line after being harassed and seeing others plan to do cyber attack and bulling on anyone who disagrees.

The police here have been rather patient and understanding considering the only exception is they moved the curfew up an hour Sunday and only told people 3 mins before. Then started arresting some. But other cops let many people go even thought they knew they’re were lying about nit knowing about the first earlier curfew. They didn’t have to do that.

If only we could agree that many protesters are being as*holes. Then we could focus on other issues too. I’ve seen cops in other cities doing sh***y stuff, but also protesters too. Both sides suck. But there’s also many good on both sides and we’ve seen that.
The world is grey. This isn’t a case if only the cops are bad.
Protesters should be peaceful at all times and accepting of anyone who wants to protest regardless of their differing political beliefs. If the cops are Abusive then we have it on film.As mlk said and did, fill up the jails.make them show how bad they are to the whole world without lowering to their level.

It’s hard for a group who’s saying are “ only good cop is a dead cop” “no justice no peace” to claim their peaceful.

As much as we disagree I don’t want to believe you’d agree with wanting all cops to die.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 3:26 am

OI!
You two,
Get a room. :mrgreen:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jun 2020, 3:35 am

Here be Trump:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 2:01 pm

Twitter Trump Version of Being President
Per Gilligan's Island Narrative; Beginning of An End:

"The Last Great Dictator";
But of Course, Just A 'Real Human Story' With A Different Beginning:

It's All In A Delivery of What Emotions Bring In A Moving
Speech; And What It Does And Does Not Touch of Human Kind or Less.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm

Too many people here seem to forget that protesting in a way the government says is 100% legal and okay just makes it easier for the government to ignore you. Civil disobedience 101. The civil rights protesters of yesteryear blocked roads and staged sit-ins on private property (horror upon horrors!) And today's conservatives act like the police were awful for turning the hoses and attack dogs on them.

It's like I can hear the conservatives of the 1770's saying:
"These insane radicals call what happened in Boston a massacre. Those soldiers were just defending themselves!! Those so called protesters were the real threat! They were a mob!! And now these thugs think they're going to help their cause by dressing up as natives and throwing innocent people's property into Boston harbor? Where is the justice for that ship's captain? They only claim to believe in the rights to freedom and property. Why do they hate their country so much? My ship was in that harbor and I was terrified!"
Civil disobedience is apparently only fine as long as it a) has been vindicated by history, or b) does not challenge government violence.

You also gotta love the double standard with regard to violence:
It's only a few bad apples in the police killing innocent people. Therefore, we shouldn't be so critical of the police.
It's only a few bad apples in the protesters destroying property. Therefore, they all deserve tear gas, cudgels, and rubber bullets.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 2:55 pm

:roll:

Fnord wrote:
So here is my question: Have you made America great again yet?

I got my start in Democratic politics when I protested the Iraq invasion, and a few years later I worked as a local Democratic organizer (when the war and casualty counts were at their peak). One of the reasons I supported Barack Obama in 2008 was that I hoped he would prosecute the Bush administration for crimes that had already been exposed. While I wasn't totally shocked when Obama failed to do that, I was utterly gobsmacked when he continued and expanded domestic spying. Then I watched him squirm after the Snowden leaks and had to wonder if he was an asset of our own spy agencies. (There's plenty of precedent for that in Hoover's FBI.) Chuck Schumer's "six ways from sunday" quip and Hillary Clinton's Manhattan Project weren't reassuring.

Honestly, it doesn't take much to improve on that record.

Quote:
• Meanwhile, American cities are burning as arsonists and looters demonstrating against the death of one man are met with rubber bullets, truncheons, and more tear gas.

I'm sitting four miles from the Minneapolis neighborhood that was sacked, and I used to go to school there. Prior to this round of protests, both Mayor Frey and former mayor Hodges (whom I know personally) took a hands-off approach to protests, including allowing protestors to block freeways that are the only fast ambulance routes serving the southern half of the city. That policy didn't change until the second day of rioting, when one person in the crowd had already been shot to death (apparently not by police), 500 buildings had been damaged and 50 burned (including a major new low income housing development and a police station).

The neighborhood is primarily populated by Latinos, Blacks and low-income Whites, and the demographics of the business owners similar. It's one of the few areas that still has a lot of small locally-owned shops and restaurants. One of the damaged restaurants was founded by a friend of mine who's well-known for helping to revitalize that neighborhood. She started out there in the 1990s when it was much rougher than it is now and the city was known nationally as Murderapolis. Apparently that earned her zero cred with the looters.

I would guess that Frey and Governor Walz (an old Farmer-Labor Democrat) got an earfull after the first day of riots, and another earfull after they ordered the crackdown. It's a no-win.

The semi-truck incident on Highway 35W was especially damning because local officials were warned about the danger during the 2015 protests. The crowd marched onto the highway without notice when it was still open to traffic, forcing a large number of cars to do emergency braking and drive the wrong way to get off. Some of the protestors mistook the truck's engine-braking for acceleration (even though the truck was visibly slowing down), and proceeded to block him from passing, kick in his window and bludgeon him when he stopped to avoid hitting them.

The victim was a Ukranian immigrant who had just finished delivering fuel to a black-owned gas station after several other truckers declined to make a delivery in that part of town. The station was one of the only ones still open there, and the owner has emphatically vouched for the driver. But as far as I know there's been zero effort to identify and prosecute the people who attacked him.

Quote:
In June, Trump used tear gas to clear the streets of homeless people around a church he never attends to provide a photo-opportunity for himself holding up a Bible he never reads.

I've been standing up to tradcons for 20 years, starting when Tom Daschle was still the face of the Democratic Party. (For those who don't remember, Daschle's Senate rebuked an independent court's ruling against the religous nature of the Pledge of Allegiance on a 99-0 vote.) But these days I'm just as disappointed by arm-chair scientists who don't bother to read the papers they cite. Here's a great recent example from Arstechnica:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/09 ... radiation/

There were already over 300 comments when I read the article (almost all of them disparaging the woman), but not a single one of those commenters (or the Ph.D. microbiologist story author) had bothered to click the hyperlink and actually read the paper :roll: How do I know? Because the link was broken.

I would be ashamed to associate with people who act like that. They should look at themselves in the mirror and see how despicable they've become. They rip up and burn minority-majority neighborhoods, victimize people who've helped them and disrespect science from the inside. Count me out.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 4:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Sure blocking a road is pesky but if the people doing it are going about it peacefully then you just kind of have to let it happen....its no excuse to try to bulldoze through them with a big truck just to make a point. The truck driver probably already knew there was a blockage...they have radios to radio things into each other....so there is no way that driver just had no idea there were protestors blocking that road and was just innocently driving through unable to stop. They would have known so yeah regardless of what anyone on the internet says...that truck driver at the very least should be charged with reckless driving. It doesn't matter if people 'should' be blocking the road or not...its a matter of if you have tons of protesters blocking a road it is not appropriate to try to run them over.

I hadn't seen your post when I replied to Fnord. Here's what the local MSNBC affiliate had to say about it:

Quote:
Officials said Monday that a 35-year-old Minnesota semi-truck driver did not go around barricades on I-35 and there’s no evidence that he was deliberately targeting protesters when his tanker truck sped onto a crowded bridge Sunday.

“From the traffic cams we know the driver of the tanker truck was on the freeway already,” Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington told reporters.

Harrington said the truck entered the interstate before workers had blocked off access to the highway.

“He was on I-94 already and he turned onto 35 before we got barricades or trucks there to block of his access to 35,” Harrington said.

[S]ome people who know Vechirko quickly came to his defense.

“He’s a great guy. That’s it,” said Lonnie McQuirten, owner of 36 LYN Refuel Station – a BP gas station on Lyndale Avenue in South Minneapolis.

McQuirten says Vechirko has just made a badly needed fuel delivery to his black-owned station – one of only a few stations still open.

He said Vechirko must not have known that state officials abruptly decided to close the interstates at 5 o’clock – instead 8 o’clock as had been announced earlier.

“Obviously he didn’t know there were people on the highway and I also didn’t know people were on the highway because I was on the highway at the exact same time,” McQuirten said. “He was not racist at all. He was doing his job, that’s it!”

(https://www.kare11.com/article/news/loc ... fb2754bc25)

Needless to say MSNBC is not an alt-right conspiracy site. And if you're not satisfied, the Star Tribune ran essentially the same story. As for your hypothesis that other truckers would have warned him over CB radio, the time window for that to happen was small.

Could you please stop ripping on a guy who got attacked and beaten bloody for providing a basic service to a part of my city that was finally making a comeback? Way to crush hope.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 5:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Note to Self: The answer still seems to be a loudly resounding "NO"; but what else could you expect?

:roll: Not much ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 8:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Note to Self: The answer still seems to be a loudly resounding "NO"; but what else could you expect?

:roll: Not much ...

MAGA people are likely very happy ...

1. Immigration - Trump has been cracking the whip on illegal aliens, since day one. He hired thousands of border patrol. He stopped the Mexican caravan. He empowered ICE to do business raids. He is deporting "asylum seekers" to Central America. He's refusing to let "asylum seekers" into the country.

2. Stock market - The markets are up, up. up. If you got on board the Trump train, you got rewarded.

3. Taxes - Trump's tax cut 1.0 lowered federal tax brackets.

4. ACA - Trump eliminated the hated ACA mandate.

5. ACA- appeasing his base, Trump has consistently tried to end the ACA.

6. LGBT - appeasing his base, Trump has banned trans people in the military, and reversed an Obama medical non-discrimination policy against trans people.

7. Military - YuuuGE increase in military spending

8. Oil/Coal - reversed many Obama oil/coal policies.

9. Aluminum/Steel (domestic industries) - tariffs on imports to protect particular domestic industries.

10. Farmers - he likes to give them bailouts.

11. Free trade - Ended TPP. Reworded NAFTA. (idea: protect domestic industries)

12. Abortions - less under Trump.

13. Revitalization of domestic manufacturing - spending trillions to bring back US manufacturing of particular industries.

14. America First -demands that foreign entities put America first. Cut WHO funding. Warns NATO to pay its fair share. Cut foreign aid to some countries. Threatens to cut aid to other countries who don't "put America first".

15. He speaks like he cares.

and much, much more

Also, the new slogan is KEEP AMERICA GREAT (so it's now GREAT)

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 3:00 am

Shameless *BUMP* of this thread, because starting another thread on this topic seems more pointless than posting a link to  A Complete Psychological Analysis of Trump's Support .

The article may give some hints as to why MAGA types are not about to "Make America Great Again".

Key points within the article include:

• A 2016 study found that ". . . the racial and ethnic isolation of Whites at the zip-code level is one of the strongest predictors of Trump support."

• A 2017 study found a direct link between national collective narcissism and support for Donald Trump.

• A 2016 survey of 406 US adults found that those who scored high on both Social Dominance Orientation (SDO) and Authoritarianism were more likely to vote for Trump.

The article goes on to describe the overall psychology of Trump supporters:

1. Practicality Trumps Morality

2. The Brain's Attention System Is More Strongly Engaged by Trump

3. America’s Obsession with Entertainment and Celebrities

4. "Some Men Just Want to Watch the World Burn."

5. The Fear Factor: Conservatives Are More Sensitive to Threat

6. The Power of Mortality Reminders and Perceived Existential Threat

7. The Dunning-Kruger Effect: Humans Often Overestimate Their Political Expertise

9. Lack of Exposure to Dissimilar Others

10. Trump's Conspiracy Theories Target the Mentally Vulnerable

11. Trump Taps Into the Nation's Collective Narcissism

12. The Desire to Want to Dominate Others

13. Authoritarian Personality

14. Racism and Bigotry

About the Author: Bobby Azarian, Ph.D., is a cognitive neuroscientist affiliated with George Mason University and a freelance journalist whose work has appeared in The Atlantic, The New York Times, BBC Future, Scientific American, Slate, The Huffington Post, Quartz, and others.  His research has been published in journals such as Cognition & Emotion and Human Brain Mapping.  Thus, the author is not some socially isolated conspiracy theorist with an Internet connection and too much time on his hands.  He is, instead, a highly educated professional in the mental health field.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.