Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

teddybears_and_twirling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2020, 3:42 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Educate yourself. There are books out there about racism and current issues and articles out there. It's 2020 now so people don't really have an excuse to be ignorant when you can find answers out there already.

I'm sorry but I really hate this mentality. First of all, it can be time consuming to find good, reliable sources. More importantly, you can't ask clarifying questions when something is unclear. Personally, I struggle to understand abstract things, i.e. things I haven't experienced myself. I know it's not anyone's responsibility to explain things to me, but it would be nice nonetheless.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 3:51 pm

teddybears_and_twirling wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Educate yourself. There are books out there about racism and current issues and articles out there. It's 2020 now so people don't really have an excuse to be ignorant when you can find answers out there already.

I'm sorry but I really hate this mentality. First of all, it can be time consuming to find good, reliable sources. More importantly, you can't ask clarifying questions when something is unclear. Personally, I struggle to understand abstract things, i.e. things I haven't experienced myself. I know it's not anyone's responsibility to explain things to me, but it would be nice nonetheless.

It's a conundrum, the people who have the most experience can't be expected to explain things because who wants to keep revisiting the worst experiences in one's life over and over again? But on the other hand, most people are too busy to turn their concern into an active drive to better understand things when it's much harder to understand without at least some degree of guidance and explanation.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 6:44 pm

teddybears_and_twirling wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I think googling "Why is it racist to say all lives matter?" is pretty easy.

If you want to dismiss peoples perspectives on when they explain it after you find the results, that is on you. Also admitting how time consuming it is to find a source you are satisfied with admits laziness.

Also from my experience, people never listen when they are told they are wrong. Even studies have shown it. People are more likely to change their mind when they seek it out themselves.

Instead of sprouting your opinion on issues you know little about, just read instead, lurk, reading any articles posted.

Many people fighting for human rights and advocating for others are too burned out to educate because most of the time, people never listened and always dismissed what they would say to them., get insulted, get argued with and lot of the times people do't want to be educated and wanting to learn, they just want to argue.

Like I say, if you are genuinely curious and genuinely want to learn, you can go online and start googling, start reading about social issues in life. It is no one's job to educate you, it would be like me applying to be a nurse at the hospital and then expecting other nurses to train me and teach me everything when they had to bust their asses off studying and going to classes for it before they were allowed to practice.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 7:23 pm

Why is "All Lives Matter" racist? Because a bunch of probably NT people said so. I can't fathom literal autistic people coming up with this idea

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 7:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Why is "All Lives Matter" racist? Because a bunch of probably NT people said so. I can't fathom literal autistic people coming up with this idea

Because it's intended to distract from a legitimate problem as keeps being pointed out again and again. I guess ignoring an explanation you don't like is the now same as not having received one. :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 9:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

And ignoring the cartoon and the video I posted just proves why we can't even be bothered to explain it. No one wants to listen. If they did, they would do research and educate themselves.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Vegeta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2020, 6:48 am

Mr Floyed wasnt the most innocent person hes held a gun against a pregnant womans stomach after breaking into her house, he also had a drug problem on his death he had meth, morphine and fentinil in his system, however for a counterfit 20 dollar bill he did not deserve to die.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 3:06 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Mr Floyed wasnt the most innocent person hes held a gun against a pregnant womans stomach after breaking into her house, he also had a drug problem on his death he had meth, morphine and fentinil in his system, however for a counterfit 20 dollar bill he did not deserve to die.

He had served his time for those crimes.

Having drug metabolites in his system, or even the fact that he had corona don't change the fact that his murderer intentionally chose to cut off blood to his brain for 8 minutes and 46 seconds. Derek Chauvin knowingly chose to take George Floyd's life with his actions and these factors don't mitigate or alter his responsibility.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う