Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 4:40 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
sly279 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
It's looks defunding the police will mean reorganizing the police and maybe demilitarizing the police by taking away firearms and putting swat teams in the hands of the state police if firearms are needed.I don't think from what I have heard that there will be actual citizen neighborhood watches in charge of law enforcement.

Yeah so the state police can do all the abuse and killing.
We shifted the blame problem solved :roll:

Criminals have dangerous weapons and being that there criminals,there intent is to use them to hurt you,people need protection.Even in England where routine patrol does not carry guns,they have special units that have guns if a situation arises.That's what things will likely look like under a restructuring of police departments,I suspect state police will have the guns and respond when needed.

The state police preform the same duties city police do. They pull over and give tickets and such. So replacing city police with more state police won’t change anything

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 7:03 pm

Biden says he doesn't support defunding police

Quote:
Joe Biden said Monday that he does not support some calls to "defund the police."

"No, I don't support defunding the police," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said in an interview with CBS while in Houston to meet with the family of George Floyd, whose death last month as a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck set off nationwide protests. "I support conditioning federal aid to police based on whether or not they meet certain basic standards of decency and honorableness. And, in fact, are able to demonstrate they can protect the community and everybody in the community."

Biden's campaign had said earlier Monday that he backs advocates' calls to increase spending on social programs separate from local police budgets, but he also wants more funding for police reforms such as body cameras and training on community policing approaches.

"Vice President Biden does not believe that police should be defunded," campaign spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement. "He hears and shares the deep grief and frustration of those calling out for change, and is driven to ensure that justice is done and that we put a stop to this terrible pain."

The comments came as President Donald Trump and his campaign sought to tie Biden to calls to "defund the police," which have emerged in recent days at protests over police brutality and the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer.

Biden's campaign rejected the phrase "defund the police" and called for more funding for police departments to implement policy changes. But the former vice president also supports some of the principles the phrase's advocates champion.

In the statement, Bates said that Biden supports "the urgent need for reform -- including funding for public schools, summer programs, and mental health and substance abuse treatment separate from funding for policing -- so that officers can focus on the job of policing."

Biden is calling for more funding for training, community policing programs, hiring more diverse police forces and body cameras for police officers.

"There are many police departments across the country who are seeking to realize these kinds of changes, but haven't had the resources to -- and the Trump administration has in fact made obtaining those resources more difficult," Bates said. "This is at the core of Joe Biden's plan to bring transformative change to our criminal justice system."

Biden has called for an additional $300 million in funding for the Community Oriented Policing Services program, which would allow more police officers to be hired and pay for training on community policing approaches.

The Trump attacks on Biden over the phrase "defund the police" are the latest iteration of tactics Trump has used for decades -- and in his political campaigns. He declared himself the "law and order" candidate in 2016.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 5:23 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
sly279 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
It's looks defunding the police will mean reorganizing the police and maybe demilitarizing the police by taking away firearms and putting swat teams in the hands of the state police if firearms are needed.I don't think from what I have heard that there will be actual citizen neighborhood watches in charge of law enforcement.

Yeah so the state police can do all the abuse and killing.
We shifted the blame problem solved :roll:

Criminals have dangerous weapons and being that there criminals,there intent is to use them to hurt you,people need protection.Even in England where routine patrol does not carry guns,they have special units that have guns if a situation arises.That's what things will likely look like under a restructuring of police departments,I suspect state police will have the guns and respond when needed.

You mean basically the same way that SWAT teams sit around waiting to be called for specific occasions, only difference here is the front line cops get only non-lethal weapons if any at all and the SWAT teams do all the gunplay?
That's what defunding may look like,I don't agree with it.