Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 12:36 am

The city council of Minneapolis,MN is considering defunding and deconstructing the city police department.

They have not yet decided what type of security agency and or private security company would take the place of the municipal police Dept.

This possible new plan is still on the drawing board but is a real possibility.

CNN

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 12:42 am

Vigilantes, perhaps? 8O

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:29 am

Private security are more corrupt then cops.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 8:05 am

Minneapolis has now disbanded it's police department in favor of a community policing initiative.

I think I know where all the criminals are now going to move to,Minnesota,you better get busy building more prisons cause your crime rate is going to go through the roof. :lol: :lol:

Whats the community rent O cops going to do if they need a swat team,at least Minnesota has laxed gun laws and citizens can defend themselves. :mrgreen:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 8:22 am

The state police are now banned from the University of Massachusetts campus,where will this end :mrgreen:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 10:36 am

Mayor Marty Walsh says he may reallocate money that would have been spent on the police in Boston.

So now they are going to defund the Boston police.This will certainly create new jobs building prisons for the coming surge in crime.

And if the defund police in Springfield or Holyoke,what citizen group will walk those streets. :mrgreen: :skull:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 1:52 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Minneapolis has now disbanded it's police department in favor of a community policing initiative.

I think I know where all the criminals are now going to move to,Minnesota,you better get busy building more prisons cause your crime rate is going to go through the roof. :lol: :lol:

Whats the community rent O cops going to do if they need a swat team,at least Minnesota has laxed gun laws and citizens can defend themselves. :mrgreen:

They haven’t. They just expressed their support for doing so,

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 1:57 pm

sly279 wrote:
Private security are more corrupt then cops.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 2:31 pm

sly279 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

They haven’t. They just expressed their support for doing so,
Thats not what an article in Forbes magazine said.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:13 pm

I think I know what the next hot items will be now that the Lysol problem is over with covid.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:15 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
I think I know what the next hot items will be now that the Lysol problem is over with covid.

Cartridges.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:18 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Cartridges.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of bandages, but you are probably right about that too.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:28 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
I prefered injecting Glade anyway :wink:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:31 pm

A side effect of this is that Dunkin' Donuts stock is going to plummet :D

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm

Transcript from CNN's New Day from today I've bolded the bottom part where the Minneapolis City Council President does not answer the host's question:

"CAMEROTA: Okay, John. Joining us now is Minneapolis City Council President Lisa Bender. Ms. Bender, we're so happy to have you this morning, because the move by the city council certainly got a lot of people's attention last night and we're so happy to have you clarify this. So what are you trying to do? Are you hoping by dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department that you will be getting rid of the police department?

LISA BENDER, PRESIDENT MINNEAPOLIS CITY COUNCIL: I think in Minneapolis, watching George Floyd's death, and the four -- the actions of the four police officers that were involved has been a huge wake-up call for so many in Minneapolis to see what many already knew, which is that our police department is not keeping every member of our community safe.

And so I think step one for us is to tell the truth. Nine council members from communities all across the city of all different backgrounds, standing together to tell the truth and say, this system isn't working for too many of our neighbors for too long, our reform efforts have failed and we have done many, many attempts at reform and new leadership in the department and many things and we still see this tragic death.

And so I think the wake-up of our community is what's driving the city council's announcement yesterday. And now the hard work begins for us to rebuild systems that really work to keep all of our communities safe.

CAMEROTA: But to be clear, you're not talking about reform. The word, dismantle, is intentionally different than reform. This is more than reform. This is dismantling. I mean, activists who support this are calling this a police-free future.

BENDER: Yes. And, you know, a lot of us were asked if we could imagine a future without police back in 2017, when we were running for office. And I answered yes to that question. To me, that future is a long way away and it would take an enormous amount of investment in things that we know work to keep people safe.

I mean, for a lot of folks in our community, stable housing is a safety issue. Having access to healthcare is a safety issue. And so, having -- you know, I think one thing folks are asking is to stop investing so much money in this militarized police force and instead invest in the things that our community really needs.

So, you know, I know the statement was bold and I stand by that bold statement, but the work ahead of us will be long, it will include every member of our community. It has to. And, you know, I think we have very immediate things, we have a state action against our police department, which gives us legal mechanisms in the very short-term.

You know, there are lessons from all over the country, all over the world that we're looking to take immediate steps while we work toward building the systems that we would need to imagine that future.

CAMEROTA: Do you understand that the word, dismantle, or police-free also makes some people nervous, for instance? What if in the middle of night, my home is broken into? Who do I call?

BENDER: Yes, I mean, hear that loud and clear from a lot of my neighbors. And I know -- and myself, too, and I know that that comes from a place of privilege. Because for those of us for whom the system is working, I think we need to step back and imagine what it would feel like to already live in that reality where calling the police may mean more harm is done."

Does not answer the question.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 7:09 pm

What you need to know about plans to defund Minneapolis Police - Agreement by 9 of 13 council members is a tiny step in what could be a long process

Quote:
Defunding or dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department has become a cohesive cry from protesters since the death of George Floyd under the knee of a city officer two weeks ago.

On Sunday, nine Minneapolis City Council members told a crowd they were prepared to “begin the process of dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department.”

A day before, Mayor Jacob Frey was unwilling to support defunding and was jeered by a crowd for saying he favored reforms. Here are some answers to questions about the future of policing in Minneapolis.

Why is the City Council talking about dismantling or defunding the Minneapolis Police Department?
The killing of Floyd, captured on video by a bystander and considered by many to be a modern-day lynching, shocked the community’s conscience and launched two weeks of global protests from one Minneapolis street corner.

But the problem is long-standing. The city’s poorer and minority residents on whom police disproportionately use force are often wary of trusting Minneapolis police.

What do Minneapolis City Council members mean by dismantling the police department?
The Council has not released any specifics. The council members have articulated support for the concept, but the details will be more difficult.

There are clues. Last Friday, the Council met in an emergency session and banned choke holds and neck restraints in all circumstances.

Even before Floyd’s death, the current City Council refused requests from Mayor Jacob Frey to increase the number of police on city streets. Last year, the council rejected Frey’s budget proposal to increase the number of officers on the street. Then in early March, the council rebuffed Frey’s request to apply for a federal grant for more officers.

Is dismantling different from defunding?

Dismantling implies abolition of the current structure. Defunding refers to shaving the budget.

Behind both is the idea of shifting resources from a paramilitary police force to education and social services with the aim of reducing socioeconomic disparities.

Will there be police on the streets of Minneapolis this summer?
Yes. The council for now has nine members agreeing on the concept of dismantling the department, but there are no agreements on the details or a plan of action for next steps.

What is the Minneapolis Police Department budget?
$189 million in 2020 with 892 sworn officers and 175 civilian employees.

Can the Council “defund” the police and stop paying them?
Not entirely.

The Council must follow the City Charter which requires the funding of “a police force of at least 0.0017 employees per resident, and provide for those employees’ compensation, for which purpose it may tax the taxable property in the City up to 0.3 percent of its value annually.”

As for what size police force the charter requires, a city spokesman would say that’s a “legal interpretation” that he wouldn’t answer.

Who can change the charter?
The council alone cannot do this. It needs to be a 13-0 vote with the mayor’s approval. But three council members have not said whether they support the dismantling and one seat is vacant.

It’s unclear whether a 12-0 vote would be considered unanimous for the purpose of changing the charter.

Can voters change the charter?
Yes, if a simple majority vote to do so on a citywide ballot question.

What would replace the police?
The idea generally would be to have a social services-based approach, possibly using the fire department to handle drug overdose calls, health care and social services professionals to tend to mental health matters instead of militaristic, uniformed officers with guns.

But even the council members who want to dismantle the police aren’t yet articulating detailed agreement on a new approach.

Has any city in the United States done this?
There have been some attempts at shifting focus.

The police force in Camden, N.J., was dissolved and absorbed by the county sheriff, doubling the size of the latter. Training shifted into heavily emphasizing deescalation tactics where restraints and force were used as a last resort.

There’s been movement elsewhere as well to change the model. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has embraced removing $150 million from the $2 billion police budget. Last year, 911 operators in Austin, Texas, 911 began asking callers whether they are seeking police, fire or mental health assistance.

Longtime civil rights activist as the Rev. Al Sharpton, who was in town last week, said pressure for change in policing practices is at unprecedented levels with white people marching in the streets alongside people of color across the country.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman