Possible mild form of cystic fibrosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 5:08 am

I've had a problem with heavy phlegm/mucus production as long as I can remember--I am over 60 now. It makes me have to cough a lot to clear my windpipe. I do blow my nose fairly often to get some of it before it can clog my windpipe, but the problem never goes away. The past few years it has gotten worse. I started taking a decongesting allergy med 2 or 3 years ago, first at bedtime, but now about twice a day, as the problem is getting worse. I also take methol cough drops to help. I can't take expectorants, even when I have a cold or flu, as it ties my intestines in knots, so I have to rely on other ways to decongest my lungs and sinuses. The strange thing is, I never have any sinus pain, except sometimes during a cold or flu, so it's not related to any sinus infection.

A while ago it occurred to me that my condition resembles cystic fibrosis, but isn't as bad. A few days ago I suddenly wondered if maybe there is a milder form of cystic fibrosis. I did some research online, and there is, and the symptoms match my situation. I'm thinking of asking my doc to check for the genetic marker for cystic fibrosis next time I have a doc visit. People with the mild form can live a lot longer than those with classic cystic fibrosis, sometimes even to a full life span. Not sure what the docs can do for me. I'll have to do some more research--on treatments this time. I do know that people with cystic fibrosis often use inhalers. I had to use one for a lung test a couple of years ago, and hated it, as it made my lungs feel very uncomfortable. It could have just been the type of drug used in the inhaler, tho. Anyway, maybe now I can finally get some real help with this problem. All the coughing to clear my windpipe hurts my lungs after a while. That's why I started taking the allergy med, and why I also take the menthol cough drops. They ease the strain on my lungs, so my lungs feel better for a while.

Anyway, keep safe and well all!