Page 17 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:24 pm

Ok assuming wokeness is a "thing". Isn't virtue signalling (e.g. a public library disposing of Agatha Christie novels) a reflection of public opinion?

And isn't public opinion a reflection of public values?

If a value system values not openly offending a particular minority group > the circulation of the offensive material then isn't this going to happen regardless of what the majority of people privately might think about the actual offensive material?

What some call virtue signalling to me just seems like cleaning out the attic of cobwebs.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Ok assuming wokeness is a "thing". Isn't virtue signalling (e.g. a public library disposing of Agatha Christie novels) a reflection of public opinion?

And isn't public opinion a reflection of public values?

If a value system values not openly offending a particular minority group > the circulation of the offensive material then isn't this going to happen regardless of what the majority of people privately might think about the actual offensive material?

What some call virtue signalling to me just seems like cleaning out the attic of cobwebs.

When people complain about virtue signalling it's typically because people are signalling virtues they lack or values they oppose.

You never hear the people most prone to complaining about virtue signalling complain about people signalling agreement with their values.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
When people complain about virtue signalling it's typically because people are signalling virtues they lack or values they oppose.

You never hear the people most prone to complaining about virtue signalling complain about people signalling agreement with their values.

It seems to me an attempt to coerce consensus because the one claiming virtue signalling is offended. The risk to authenticity of a book or story seems a stretch that changing one word would result in cultural collapse suggests the culture that person identifies with is held together rather tenuously or propped up with pillars of salt.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 2:08 pm

George Washington University officially drops nickname deemed "extremely offensive," unveils new moniker

Quote:
Answering calls from students and the broader community, George Washington University will formally change its nickname to the Revolutionaries, officials announced this week.

The new name will apply to each of the school's athletic teams, and comes after years of pushback against the school's former moniker, "Colonials." Students had protested its connotation, given the violent and oppressive history of American colonization.

"We, as students of the George Washington University, believe it is of great exigence that the University changes its official mascot," reads the description of a petition organized by George Washington University students, which received more than 530 signatures. "The use of 'Colonials,' no matter how innocent the intention, is received as extremely offensive by not only students of the University, but the nation and world at large."

"The historically, negatively-charged figure of Colonials has too deep a connection to colonization and glorifies the act of systemic oppression," the organizers wrote. In addition to "Revolutionaries," "Hippos" and "Riverhorses" were also suggested as alternative monikers.

Chuck Todd, who hosts the NBC talk series "Meet the Press" and is a GW alumnus, announced the school's new name in a broadcast-style video released on Wednesday. The video also included feedback from students and staff at the school.

"The nickname that will represent GW's athletic teams and the community at large ... What's in a name? Plenty, it turns out," said Todd from behind a news desk. "Raise high, Revolutionaries."

The university's new moniker was decided based on 47,000 points of feedback from community members, collected over 12 months, George Washington said.

"Revolutionaries" was one of 8,000 original suggestions that officials narrowed down through community engagement and outreach over that time period, including focus groups, random sample surveys and merchandise distribution, the school said. The university's board of trustees then voted on a recommendation from the president and Moniker Advisory Committee, which the school said included students, faculty and alumni, to officially change the moniker.

The university plans to fully adopt Revolutionaries as its nickname in the 2023-24 academic year.

SMH. “Colonials” was not about American colonization, but it references the American colonies of Great Britain. Until they made it offensive “Colonials” was a reappropriated term. On occasion when discussing the U.S. and U.K. we jokingly describe ourselves as “the colonies”. But that is wokeness for you, no context, no humor.

That said I got to give them credit, at least the new name is closely related to the soon to be canceled name. It is selective wokeness though, it is still George Washington University, and is celebrating racist revolutionaries who put slavery in the constitution. Oops.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:39 pm

I'm curious about one thing. Do Afro-Americans with the surname "Washington" descend from George Washington's slaves or is it because when they were freed they lived in the city of Washington?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 8:45 am

Police drag autistic girl out of house ‘because she said officer looked like her lesbian grandmother’

Quote:
West Yorkshire Police have been accused of “manhandling” an autistic girl because she said an officer looked like her grandmother, who is a lesbian.

The 16-year-old was arrested for a homophobic public order offence, police confirmed to PinkNews, as footage of the incident sparked widespread outrange on social media.

The girl’s mother, Lisa Rozycki, accused the force of being “bullies in uniform” in a TikTok video.

The video explained that her daughter told her an officer she ‘looked like her nanna, who is a lesbian’ and that the officer “took it the wrong way and said it was homophobic”.

“The officer then entered my home and assaulted me. My daughter was having panic attacks from being touched by them and they still continued to manhandle her,” text overlayed on the video reads.

In the video, Rozycki can be heard telling the officer to stop staring at her daughter due to her autism, while the daughter can be heard screaming, hitting herself and crying while officers attempt to grab her.

At the end the teenager is dragged from her home by multiple officers, despite Rozycki telling officers that she suffers with scoliosis and a twisted spine.

On X, formerly known as Twitter, people called the video “distressing” and “very upsetting”. One comment said the conduct from the West Yorkshire Police officers was “totally unacceptable”, while another condemned the force’s behaviour as “disgusting”.

West Yorkshire Police said the incident occurred at 12.12am on Monday (7 August) when the force received “calls from a family member of a 16-year-old girl who was reportedly intoxicated and putting herself at risk in Leeds city centre”.

“Officers attended at about 1am and drove the teenager to her home so she could be appropriately looked after,” the force told PinkNews.

“Upon returning her to the address, comments were made which resulted in the girl being arrested on suspicion of a homophobic public order offence. The nature of the comments made was fully captured on body-worn video.”

When the girl was eventually fit to be interviewed, that interview took place with an appropriate adult.

“She was later released on bail pending further enquiries and advice from the Crown Prosecution Service.

This is what could happen when hate speech is a crime.

It is good the public is reacting negatively.

While I am not a mind reader I think the autistic girl was being literal when “lesbian grandmother” not prejudiced.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 5:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I'm curious about one thing. Do Afro-Americans with the surname "Washington" descend from George Washington's slaves or is it because when they were freed they lived in the city of Washington?

Most American Blacks were slaves until the fall of the Confederacy at the end of the Civil War in 1865 ( like 3 generations after George Washington died in 1799). And because they were slaves they had no last names. So upon emancipation and becoming new citizens in 1865 either local clerks assigned them names, or they made up their own.

And ...as you were saying...many just took the same surnames as their former White slave owners.

But many made up names. So they...picked a word for the greatest thing in the world they could think of...like...a King, or a Knight. Hense why so many great Black American musicians of the last century had names like BB King, Albert King, Ben E. King, Brian McKnight, and Gladys Knight.

Or you name yourself after a great man of your country. Who better than Washington?

Many American Blacks are named Jackson and Jefferson as well, but that could be either thing... from being owned by Whites of those names, OR taking the names of presidents.

So thats my feeling as to why so many Black Americans are named "Washington". Though Washington did own a lot slaves and some were freed upon his death and lived free and some not (it was complicated apparently). But were talking about a fraction of like 150 people.

Living in the city of Washington had nothing to do with it. Few people of either skin color lived in Washington until the 1950s because it was a one horse town (JFK described Washington as "combining the charm of a large gritty northern industrial city with the efficiency of a small southern town"). Even today Washington is just a pimple compared to Chicago or NYC, Philadelphia, or nowadays even Baltimore. And its Black population didnt swell until Blacks began migrating north in large numbers out of the south also in the 20 century -north along two vectors -one along the eastern seaboard, and other up the Mississippi from the Delta to Chicago. The proportion of Blacks living in the DC is large, but its a large proportion out of small whole.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Most American Blacks were slaves until the fall of the Confederacy at the end of the Civil War in 1865 ( like 3 generations after George Washington died in 1799). And because they were slaves they had no last names. So upon emancipation and becoming new citizens in 1865 either local clerks assigned them names, or they made up their own.

And ...as you were saying...many just took the same surnames as their former White slave owners.

But many made up names. So they...picked a word for the greatest thing in the world they could think of...like...a King, or a Knight. Hense why so many great Black American musicians of the last century had names like BB King, Albert King, Ben E. King, Brian McKnight, and Gladys Knight.

Or you name yourself after a great man of your country. Who better than Washington?

Many American Blacks are named Jackson and Jefferson as well, but that could be either thing... from being owned by Whites of those names, OR taking the names of presidents.

So thats my feeling as to why so many Black Americans are named "Washington". Though Washington did own a lot slaves and some were freed upon his death and lived free and some not (it was complicated apparently). But were talking about a fraction of like 150 people.

Living in the city of Washington had nothing to do with it. Few people of either skin color lived in Washington until the 1950s because it was a one horse town (JFK described Washington as "combining the charm of a large gritty northern industrial city with the efficiency of a small southern town"). Even today Washington is just a pimple compared to Chicago or NYC, Philadelphia, or nowadays even Baltimore. And its Black population didnt swell until Blacks began migrating north in large numbers out of the south also in the 20 century -north along two vectors -one along the eastern seaboard, and other up the Mississippi from the Delta to Chicago. The proportion of Blacks living in the DC is large, but its a large proportion out of small whole.

Makes sense

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:49 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

No, this is what happens when you don't hold police accountable for abusing members of the public

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 12:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

No, this is what happens when you don't hold police accountable for abusing members of the public

both

FYI Existing thread on this incident

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 11:50 am

Seventh Grader Kicked out of class for Gadsden Flag patch
The claim by the district that the Gadsden Flag has its origins in slavery is completely wrong. Its origins were in American Revolution. Over the years it has been used and misused mostly by Confederates and the right. The left has used it also, notably by the group that was behind the alternative “People’s Bicentennial” .

They are a school district. One of their core jobs is to teach basic historical facts correctly. If they said we are banning it because it has been hijacked for nefarious purposes it would be problematic for a number of reasons but at least it would have basis in fact.

Accepting for arguments sake that the flag is offensive, it was not in peoples faces, it is an effin patch.

Speculation=mine:
If the district did not make an issue out it nobody would have noticed that patch.

The Gadsden flag is a symbol. But whose?
It would advise reading that article thoroughly for historical background of origins and hijacking of the flag.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 7:33 am

Seattle teacher tells student it’s ‘offensive’ to identify as straight

Quote:
A Seattle high school teacher has been accused of berating a student for describing himself as “straight” — saying it’s “offensive” because it suggests LGBTQ people must be “crooked.”

The unidentified pupil’s mom filed a formal complaint about Ian Golash, the chair of the social studies department at Chief Sealth International High School.

She claimed that in the beginning of the school year, Golash provided students with a “Social Identity Wheel” worksheet asking them to reflect on various identities — including race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation.

After her son labeled himself as “straight,” Golash allegedly told the boy the term is “offensive,” she claimed in an email to the teacher and Principal Ray Garcia-Morales sent in September but obtained this week by KTTH.

“It is completely inappropriate to dictate what terms a student can and cannot use to identify themselves with,” she wrote.

Golash denied singling out her son, but confirmed saying he prefers not to use the term “straight” because “it implies that to not be straight is to be ‘crooked,’ which could have a negative connotation.

The mother further claims Golash told her tenth-grade son he was “a product of the patriarchy” during a discussion about Florida “banning ethnic studies” — likely in reference to the state blocking an Advanced Placement course on African American studies.

She said her son was absent when the class watched a video about the topic, and told the teacher he did not know why the state legislature forwarded the ban.

“I’m told that rather than converse about the topic and provide him with information and an actual answer, he was told that he was a ‘product of the patriarchy that teaches young boys not to care,’” she wrote in another email to the principal and teacher.

“You missed an opportunity here to teach your student about current events and instead shamed him for being a male.

The same mother previously accused the ethnic studies world history teacher in an earlier complaint of giving her son a failing grade on a quiz when he labeled two statements “true” — The first that “All men have penises” and the second that “Only women can get pregnant.”

Mr. Golash instructs his students what to think and not how to think,” the unidentified mother continued. “This in no way provides identity-safe classrooms that allow students to feel visible and valued.”

She claims her son had to “self-censor” due to Golash’s teaching methods, which she described as “intolerant.”

Seattle Public Schools said in a statement to The Post that it does not comment on pending litigation.

But the school district is already investigating two separate complaints against the teacher, according to KTTH — one for the failed quiz and another for an incident in which he allegedly taught an antisemitic curriculum.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 8:09 am

What a silly situation. Even if straight used to imply lgbt people are crooked, it clearly doesn't mean that anymore (like how queer used to mean weird). Considering it's Florida though, I can understand why a teacher might be defensive in that way. DeSantis has been nothing but a blight on that state. I wonder if the alleged antisemitism was merely pro-palestine support? either way it seems like a case of a teacher overcompensating for Florida's hellholishness

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 2:26 pm

Readydaer wrote:
What a silly situation. Even if straight used to imply lgbt people are crooked, it clearly doesn't mean that anymore (like how queer used to mean weird). Considering it's Florida though, I can understand why a teacher might be defensive in that way. DeSantis has been nothing but a blight on that state. I wonder if the alleged antisemitism was merely pro-palestine support? either way it seems like a case of a teacher overcompensating for Florida's hellholishness

FYI Back in the 50s and before “queer” did mean weird.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s “queer” was a slur on par with the N-Word. The queer community has taken “queer” and made it a term of endearment and pride.

I have no memory of “straight” being anything other than shorthand for heterosexual. Plenty of homophobic people used “straight” because most people held homophobic views back then. But “straight” was never considered an antonym for “queer”

If one looks for offense hard enough one will find it. That is one of the problems this teacher has. The other one is he is a bully.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 6:48 pm

When I was in Secondary school, I remember we had to read this anti-drug book that was a bit dated. It was unintentionally quite funny as a result.

Characters would say things such as 'Oh, I don't do drugs, I'm straight now' or 'I've gone straight' which in the context meant 'I'm on the straight and narrow' aka 'I'm clean / I've left that life behind me / Sober'. Our teacher had to explain this to us. We still poked fun at it though because it sounded quite odd to a modern audience.

I played the role of this boy-crazy teenage girl who was a bit clumsy and had a tendency to make bad choices. Mainly flirting with drug dealers and deciding to take drugs. The cautionary tale character. We each had to read out lines to the rest of the class and my dialogue was so over the top that it was difficult not to laugh.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 9:52 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
When I was in Secondary school, I remember we had to read this anti-drug book that was a bit dated. It was unintentionally quite funny as a result.

Characters would say things such as 'Oh, I don't do drugs, I'm straight now' or 'I've gone straight' which in the context meant 'I'm on the straight and narrow' aka 'I'm clean / I've left that life behind me / Sober'. Our teacher had to explain this to us. We still poked fun at it though because it sounded quite odd to a modern audience.

I played the role of this boy-crazy teenage girl who was a bit clumsy and had a tendency to make bad choices. Mainly flirting with drug dealers and deciding to take drugs. The cautionary tale character. We each had to read out lines to the rest of the class and my dialogue was so over the top that it was difficult not to laugh.

I remember the phrase “getting straight” meant getting off drugs.

“Scared Straight” were “tough love” programs based on a documentary designed to discourage kids from becoming criminals.

“Straight and Narrow” meant leading an honest snd moral lifestyle.