Page 4 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:55 am

League_Girl wrote:
Ah yes, some things have been twisted in the media like gender neutral Potato head. No, there will still be a Mr. Potato head, they are just getting rid of Mister. They are just rebranding the name. Go ahead and make it Mr. or Mrs. You could have done this already long before they made it gender neutral.

It is only the company that had decided to stop publishing 6 of the Dr. Seuss books. No one is going to come and take your books away that will now be out of print. Now they will become a collectable and worth a lot of money. The gov is not behind this. No, the author did not get cancelled.

Some things get blown so out of proportion and the media will twist things and put misleading headlines to draw attention and people won't bother to use their critical thinking skills or actually read the dang article. It's called clickbait.

They decided to keep the Mr. in Mr. Potato Head.

The Dr. Seuss books in question are available in PDF format on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/dr-seuss-banned-books/Dr.%20Seuss%20Books%20%5BBANNED%5D%20%5B3_3_2021%5D/And%20to%20Think%20That%20I%20Saw%20It%20on%20Mulberry%20Street%20by%20Dr.%20Seuss

I used to have a copy of McElligot’s Pool. I may still have it, but I’m not sure.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 5:39 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Once again, this isn't "outlawing Dr. Seuss" or banning "The Cat in the Hat." But it can be defined as very negative branding of Dr. Seuss and the Muppets. Dr. Seuss and Muppet creator Jim Henson weren't racist, but these controversies might imply they were.[/youtube]

No it doesn't. Why are people being such snowflakes and thinking just because some specific Muppet stuff has some warnings and certain Dr. Seuss stuff is being taken out of publication due to racist iconography. Do you guys really want to defend things like the picture bellow?

These things are not calling everyone a racist or a sexist or something, these people just want to be victims.

And the whole Potato Head thing is just big evidence of right wing cancel culture, losing their minds just because a brand that does both Mr. and Mrs. products might want to drop the Mr. from their brand name, like their brand name would be the family name or something. The sensitivity on these people. I mean, if Potato Head was going non-binary or something it would probably be something like Mx. Potato Head. So tell me fam, where is the Mx. Potato Head? How are the non-binaries ruining things?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
As for MyPillow, how was it different from other pillows?

Sarcasm:
All pillows should be banned because they are an example of systematic racism. Most of them are white propagating the idea that white equals good.

Baby teeth are racist for the same reason. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:49 pm

jimmy m wrote:
The hottest theme in liberal punditry is mocking conservatives for their objections to Woke Culture's long march through American entertainment conglomerates. It's not "real news."

'Mocking' is a deliberate tactic that the hard left fully embraces.
It doesn't work on me.
I am very funny, naturally. 8)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 11:34 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Ah yes, some things have been twisted in the media like gender neutral Potato head. No, there will still be a Mr. Potato head, they are just getting rid of Mister. They are just rebranding the name. Go ahead and make it Mr. or Mrs. You could have done this already long before they made it gender neutral.

It is only the company that had decided to stop publishing 6 of the Dr. Seuss books. No one is going to come and take your books away that will now be out of print. Now they will become a collectable and worth a lot of money. The gov is not behind this. No, the author did not get cancelled.

Some things get blown so out of proportion and the media will twist things and put misleading headlines to draw attention and people won't bother to use their critical thinking skills or actually read the dang article. It's called clickbait.

They decided to keep the Mr. in Mr. Potato Head.

The Dr. Seuss books in question are available in PDF format on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/dr-seuss-banned-books/Dr.%20Seuss%20Books%20%5BBANNED%5D%20%5B3_3_2021%5D/And%20to%20Think%20That%20I%20Saw%20It%20on%20Mulberry%20Street%20by%20Dr.%20Seuss

I used to have a copy of McElligot’s Pool. I may still have it, but I’m not sure.

My brother had the first book. I think we may still have it packed somewhere maybe up in the attic or garage.

I've seen the second book.

Never heard of the 3rd one

4th one, Nope

5th, nope

6th, nope

Now I want to read these books to see how they were racist.

People freaking out thinking the gov is going to come and take these books from them is hilarious. They also think it's the gov banning them, not the publishing companies that had decided they would no longer publish these books. That now means these books will be out of print and you would have to rely on ebay or used book stores or other websites that sell used books. But I am sure they will be worth more. There are lot of titles out there that are out of print and they sell pretty cheap like The Baby Sitters Club books.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2021, 11:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Remember Communism? ...
... the "woke" generation doesn't remember and doesn't care.  Presentism is their guiding world view.
[color=black]... and any claim that conflicts with their perspective is dismissed as "Boomerism".

Just like any claim that conflicts with what Donald Trump says is fake news.

For a while I thought you were on their side.

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2021, 12:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
As for MyPillow, how was it different from other pillows?

Sarcasm:
All pillows should be banned because they are an example of systematic racism. Most of them are white propagating the idea that white equals good.

Beatles' 9th album The White Album should be banned because is racist, the cover and its unoffiicial name are racists. Let's make a manifestation all over the place demanding for a change of the color of the cover to pink or any other non-white color and change its name to: The Inclusive Album.

Sounds like a joke, but actually it isn't that far out for something as ridiculous as this to actually happen.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 3:46 pm

The left continues to eat its own. Cancel culture hit Teen Vogue on Monday when staffers erupted over decade-old tweets their incoming boss deleted and apologized for years ago.

Alexi McCammond, who shook up the White House communications team last month by dating a Biden staffer when she covered the administration for Axios, announced last week that she accepted a gig as the editor of far-left magazine Teen Vogue.

McCammond seemed like a nice fit, as a young-but-seasoned reporter who appears to align with the magazine’s liberal views, but staffers found an issue with her hiring by resurfacing tweets she sent as a teenager in 2011.

An editor for Teen Vogue shared a note from the magazine’s staff declaring more than 20 members objected to McCammond "in light of her past racist and homophobic tweets." The staffers boasted about sending a letter to parent company Conde Nast and declared they’re "hopeful that an internal conversation will prove fruitful in maintaining the integrity granted to us by our audience."

"Do people still think ‘Cancel Culture’ doesn’t exist? Every time it feels like the peak, a new woke summit emerges from the clouds," Krakauer wrote. "McCammond, who happens to be a Black woman, for what it’s worth, previously apologized for and deleted these tweets in 2019. She posted them when she was 17-years-old. But it’s not enough. It’s never enough."

Source: Cancel culture hits Teen Vogue: Editor draws backlash over decade-old tweets she already apologized for

Cancel culture = Bullying

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Mar 2021, 3:53 pm

Is anyone other than Fox carrying this "news"?
Asking for a friend...

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2021, 5:40 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Cancel culture = Bullying

Pretty much.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 5:50 pm

jimmy m wrote:
The left continues to eat its own.

Nom nom nom.
:mrgreen:

jimmy m wrote:
"Do people still think ‘Cancel Culture’ doesn’t exist? Every time it feels like the peak, a new woke summit emerges from the clouds," Krakauer wrote. "McCammond, who happens to be a Black woman, for what it’s worth, previously apologized for and deleted these tweets in 2019. She posted them when she was 17-years-old. But it’s not enough. It’s never enough."

8)

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2021, 2:35 am

I'm very left wing generally speaking and I tend to find that a lot of these "cancel culture" run amok narratives are very exaggerated. Usually through cherry-picking a fringe case and making it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Or downplaying how bad the cancelled person actually was. Though there are definitely some occasions where the "SJW" mob has gone too far. The problem with cancelling is that it doesn't really work a lot of the time. I'm more interested in changing policy and material conditions.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 3:32 am

MidnightRose wrote:
I'm very left wing generally speaking and I tend to find that a lot of these "cancel culture" run amok narratives are very exaggerated. Usually through cherry-picking a fringe case and making it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Or downplaying how bad the cancelled person actually was. Though there are definitely some occasions where the "SJW" mob has gone too far

This is also my take on it.

Some people have genuine 'cancel' situations to deal with, because there are always going to be idiots out there spoiling things for others. But now we have a situation where cancel culture is talked up to be this new huge problem going on, when much of the time it is not relevant to the conversation. It has quickly become an excuse to use when something hasn't gone your way, it's now something to grab hold of and shout about when you happened to lose out on something or just when your feeling got hurt a bit.

Didn't get the job you wanted? scream 'cancel culture!'
Your dinner wasn't as warm as you wanted it to be? scream 'cancel culture!'
The movie you wanted to watch is no longer available? scream 'cancel culture!'

People have already falsely used it to such an extent that real claims of cancel culture are being ignored now and folk are just rolling their eyes at the claimant

I am talking in general here and not about the story on this thread as I don't know the detail of that

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 4:19 am

MidnightRose wrote:
I'm very left wing generally speaking and I tend to find that a lot of these "cancel culture" run amok narratives are very exaggerated. Usually through cherry-picking a fringe case and making it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Or downplaying how bad the cancelled person actually was. Though there are definitely some occasions where the "SJW" mob has gone too far. The problem with cancelling is that it doesn't really work a lot of the time. I'm more interested in changing policy and material conditions.

A 'proper' hardcore progressive needs to follow 'The Narrative'. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 7:48 am

About Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Seuss.

This is branding and marketing 101.

Instead of quietly discounting a product line that is not selling well announce it publicly and say you are doing it to be anti racist. This creates the expected “cancel culture” backlash. By seeming to threaten to turn kids woke this has pushed all sorts of emotional buttons(Oh the children). In their emotion parents become convinced that the entire line of Dr. Seuss snd Mr. Potato Head is being cancelled or will be shortly and make a panic run on these items making the companies a quick profit.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2021, 6:23 am

Just a quick question. Is the left full of brainwashed libs who all follow the party line no questions asked? Or is the left literally eating itself alive and can't agree on anything?