Page 11 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 7:41 am

I’m anti-racist, anti-discrimination, pro Green, mostly. Progressive in many aspects.

But I don’t subscribe to at least part of the “Woke” ideology as manifested in the 2020s.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 22 Dec 2022, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 7:42 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I don't agree with, for example, the song Fairytale Of New York sung by the Pogues being taken off the radio after being a loved Christmas classic for so many years because it apparently is offensive to gay people. I don't like that song myself as I find it depressing but a lot of people love it and are sad that it can't be played any more. Even my gay cousin likes that song and doesn't agree with it being cancelled

never heard of that song being taken off the radio. in fact, I am absolutely sure I heard it on the radio just a few days ago

That sucks.

I love the song. A coworker turned me on to it. Its about a dysfunctional hetero couple who manage to iron things out for Xmas...like Gleason's Honeymooners.

The couple exchange epithets during one verse, and the gal calls him a 'fa***t'. One microscopic detail. There something in the song to offend EVERYone. So... it all cancels out, and you're too busy laughing to be offended anyway. And its hardly noticeable. The fact that at one point in the story they watch '"he New York City Police Dept. quire singing on Christmas Day" stands out as a problem more because...there is no such thing as the NYC PD quire. :lol:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 7:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The fact that at one point in the story they watch '"he New York City Police Dept. quire singing on Christmas Day" stands out as a problem more because...there is no such thing as the NYC PD quire. :lol:

Yeah Google that and all that comes back are references to that song.

Personally, I've never heard that song but quite honestly I do in fact think it highly offensive to call somebody a fa***t. So it could trigger someone with no feeling of nostalgia for the song. It seems to me that Britain has a long tradition of tolerating offensive language more so than North America. I'll have to give the song a listen.

Of course then you have Let It Snow which has been denounced as a celebration of sexual harassment. I say nonsense to that.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I don't agree with, for example, the song Fairytale Of New York sung by the Pogues being taken off the radio after being a loved Christmas classic for so many years because it apparently is offensive to gay people. I don't like that song myself as I find it depressing but a lot of people love it and are sad that it can't be played any more. Even my gay cousin likes that song and doesn't agree with it being cancelled

never heard of that song being taken off the radio. in fact, I am absolutely sure I heard it on the radio just a few days ago

That sucks.

I love the song. A coworker turned me on to it. Its about a dysfunctional hetero couple who manage to iron things out for Xmas...like Gleason's Honeymooners.

The couple exchange epithets during one verse, and the gal calls him a 'fa***t'. One microscopic detail. There something in the song to offend EVERYone. So... it all cancels out, and you're too busy laughing to be offended anyway. And its hardly noticeable. The fact that at one point in the story they watch '"he New York City Police Dept. quire singing on Christmas Day" stands out as a problem more because...there is no such thing as the NYC PD quire. :lol:

I would be highly surprised if using that word meant it couldn't be heard on the radio here. That word isn't used as an insult here, and in fact a type of meatbal here are called faggotts that you can commonly find in supermarkets

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:22 am

Biscuitman wrote:
I would be highly surprised if using that word meant it couldn't be heard on the radio here. That word isn't used as an insult here, and in fact a type of meatbal here are called faggotts that you can commonly find in supermarkets

And they say British cuisine is dull!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m anti-racist, anti-discrimination, pro Green, mostly. Progressive in many aspects.

But I don’t subscribe to at least part of the “Woke” ideology as manifested in the 2020s.

Me too, I hate bigotry and discrimination, but I also hate over the top political correctness too.

I understand the word "fa***t" being offensive to gay people but couldn't they just censor the word out of the song?

I am a huge animal supporter and I wish there was activism against killing rats. Yes rats are pests and sometimes carry disease but I wish they'd make inhumane rat traps and poison illegal and invent stuff that will deter them instead. Animals have the right to live on this planet just as much as we do. What makes humans more superior and important than animals? I sometimes lay awake at night grieving over all the animals all over the world that are being inhumanely tortured by humans.
I don't believe humans are destroying the planet though. What we're doing is destroying the lives of animals and ourselves. Earth will still be here long after humans. Even when the astroid hit and killed all the dinosaurs, the planet and its beauty still remained.

I don't agree with forcing everyone to have electric cars to "save the planet", not after a bus depot containing electric buses blew up just because one of the buses on charge was faulty (unbeknownst to the workers). It caused the other buses to blow up too and all that plume going off into the air is probably more damaging to the environment than anything else. So this enforcement on electric cars seems like another propaganda thing to me.

Last edited by Joe90 on 22 Dec 2022, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:28 am

:lol:

they are actually really tasty! just a pork meatball

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:30 am

Biscuitman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

That sucks.

I assume you're a Brit.

Yeah... in the UK a 'fag' is a cigarette. It doesnt mean 'male homosexual'. And a 'fa***t' is a type of meatball. Fifty years ago the word 'fa***t' even occasionally turned up in American advertising to mean the food as well. Briefly. Before the nasty meaning completely drowned that out.

Originally the word "fa***t" meant "a tied-up bundle of sticks you gathered for kindling". And it's easy to see how 'sticks you planned to set on fire' could evolve into the modern British slang for 'cigarette'. But how it got to be a pejorative for 'homosexual man' in the US is not so obvious.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Me too, I hate bigotry and discrimination, but I also hate over the top political correctness too.

I understand the word "fa***t" being offensive to gay people but couldn't they just censor the word out of the song?

just read up the story. The song was not taken off the radio. in 2019 One BBC DJ decided to start using an alternative version which had that word taken out.

"In a statement, a BBC spokesperson said: “This was Alex’s decision. There is no ban"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

That sucks.

I assume you're a Brit.

Yeah... in the UK a 'fag' is a cigarette. It doesnt mean 'male homosexual'. And a 'fa***t' is a type of meatball. Fifty years ago the word 'fa***t' even occasionally turned up in American advertising to mean the food as well. Briefly. Before the nasty meaning completely drowned that out.

Originally the word "fa***t" meant "a tied-up bundle of sticks you gathered for kindling". And it's easy to see how 'sticks you planned to set on fire' could evolve into the modern British slang for 'cigarette'. But how it got to be a pejorative for 'homosexual man' in the US is not so obvious.

yeah, growing up here I was a teen/20's smoker and people only called cigarettes 'fags'. I had never even heard that there was an alternative meaning to the word elsewhere in the world until I think I was into my 30's

Brings up an interesting areas where the world is much more connected now and lines are blurred but a word can mean 2 very different things in different parts of the world

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:55 am

"Fag" is a great term for "cigarette".

I wish we Americans would conform to the British usage, and not the other way around. For some reason you cant say the word without putting a little ...snear of contempt into your voice. And cigarettes actually deserve that contempt (as well not being humans with feelings). Lol!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 10:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Boomers do less damage

There are zoomers who would disagree with that claim. Specifically, by "clinging" to the old definitions of racism and privilege, by being nonracist instead of antiracist they enable the open racists so are just as guilty as MAGA terrorists. In addition, we are viewed as selfish hedonists, who f****d up the economy, are bankrupting the country, and ensuring their generation would be the first generation to do worse than their parents. In addition, our workaholism destroyed families. And after all that, we have the gall to call them lazy and entitled. That was the sentiment behind "Ok boomer".

I suggest you tell the "zoomers" around the world not to embrace the concept of "Collective Guilt".
It is against WP rulz. :P 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 1:38 pm

MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The fact that at one point in the story they watch '"he New York City Police Dept. quire singing on Christmas Day" stands out as a problem more because...there is no such thing as the NYC PD quire. :lol:

Yeah Google that and all that comes back are references to that song.

Personally, I've never heard that song but quite honestly I do in fact think it highly offensive to call somebody a fa***t. So it could trigger someone with no feeling of nostalgia for the song. It seems to me that Britain has a long tradition of tolerating offensive language more so than North America. I'll have to give the song a listen.

Of course then you have Let It Snow which has been denounced as a celebration of sexual harassment. I say nonsense to that.

“FairyTale of New York” came out in the 80s the same decade as Dire Straits “Money for Nothing” in which the word “fa***t” was used several times. It got to number 1 in America. MTV and radio played the full song. The song is still aired but the slur been erased.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 1:59 pm

MaxE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Boomers do less damage

There are zoomers who would disagree with that claim. Specifically, by "clinging" to the old definitions of racism and privilege, by being nonracist instead of antiracist they enable the open racists so are just as guilty as MAGA terrorists. In addition, we are viewed as selfish hedonists, who f****d up the economy, are bankrupting the country, and ensuring their generation would be the first generation to do worse than their parents. In addition, our workaholism destroyed families. And after all that, we have the gall to call them lazy and entitled. That was the sentiment behind "Ok boomer".

That sentiment seems somewhat ironic, at least to an American. Although Britain needed decades to recover from WWII (from today's perspective it might seem debatable they ever did so) WWII actually triggered the biggest economic boom in US history and many of the Greatest Generation, who had grown up during the Great Depression, prospered. This was the era of being able to support a comfortable middle class lifestyle on the wages earned by one family member holding a unionized manufacturing job. In contrast, somebody born when I was, who went to "college", entered the workforce in 1974 which was a very discouraging year in which to begin one's career. We always assumed we'd "do worse" than our parents. So from what Gen-Zedders are saying, we actually did better. Such a surprise!

I can say that my father probably made more money in his career than I did. When he was 40 he bought a Mercedes-Benz and every car he bought since then was also a Mercedes. At this point in my life, I could buy a Mercedes if I wished, but I would feel like a fool driving around in a car like that. I drive a 2010 Honda Fit and love it. My son, a Millennial, who makes well over $300K a year as a surgeon in a big-city public hospital, and could probably make a lot more in private practice, doesn't even own a car. He drives his wife's car which is also a Honda Fit.

In 2017 before “Ok Boomer” became I started a thread addressing this topic. I posted a few articles that ripped into the baby boom generation. What I wrote at the time was “ What it does say is the chickens do come home to roost. It was the boomers who said do not trust anybody over thirty, their parent's music and lifestyle were "square" and they have spent a lot of time and money trying to avoid the inevitable. Not fun being on the other side of it is it? Not a surprising result. The net is dominated by Millennials based on technology invented by boomers.

But is it true? As in most of these situations yes and no.

The boomers certainly have never really let the bitter divisions of the 60's go and that has and still is infecting American politics. But one is judged on what you do with what is given to you. Millennials were given a bad political and economic climate true, but MRA, Alt Right, SJW, Antifa, those are not boomer phenomena.

The other charge is that selfish boomers ruined the economy. Well, selfish elitist boomers certainly destroyed a great thing, but most boomers were victims of them more than the cause.

Another charge is that workaholic individualist boomers destroyed family life. Well, some of it was the thing we called "women's liberation" or that dirty word "feminism". Do you all really want to go back to the 50's when if you still single at 30 you were viewed as mentally ill and if you were female you were an "old maid"? Do not think so. Boomers changed that. Well, some did, mostly we were workaholics because we had to be due to the changing economy caused by the elite boomers.

And if need to get away from it all and listen to some music which generation had it better is debatable because everything is, it is but not much of a debate.”

In hindsight ignoring Gen Z was a huge error. Between the gender identities, the mass climate change, gun control, and BLM marches Gen Z is more radical then the boomers were in the 60s.. But otherwise I would not change anything I wrote.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 2:27 pm

Honestly, I feel that some Boomers were actually at least as radical as some Zoomers.

1968 was a crisis year, rather like 2021 was a crisis year. People were scared about "the s--- hitting the fan" in 1968, perhaps even more than the prevailing feeling today. Two very prominent people were assassinated that year: Robert F. Kennedy, and Martin Luther King.

King, arguably, was more prominent than Kennedy. There are now many streets, avenues and Boulevards named after him. There is not one place in the US, with over 50,000 people, that doesn't have a Martin Luther King something.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 2:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

That sucks.

I assume you're a Brit.

More definitions for you

Quote:
In the British male boarding school world of yesteryear, the word fag denotes a junior boy who performs menial tasks, usually for an older boy, who in return, mentors him. The OED traces this particular usage back to the eighteenth century, which was when the “fagging system” at England’s public (e.g. private) schools began to appear. The “fagging system” was one way schools carried out their mission to cultivate rulers of Britain’s empire, for how could one learn good leadership without first having served?

Quote:
fa***t Vote was a form of semi-legitimate eighteenth-century voter fraud. At that time in British politics, there was a property requirement to vote; thus, the OED informs us, the fa***t Vote referred to “a vote for a particular candidate or party fraudulently contrived by nominally transferring sufficient property” (picture bundles of twigs being given to someone who lacks them) “to a person who would not otherwise be qualified to vote.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.