Page 1 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 9:35 am

Modern society is characterized by being WOKE.

According to Wikipedia: Woke as a political term of African-American origin refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It is derived from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

It clouds or colors the entire world with what is acceptable or not acceptable in society. Every action can be view as evil or good. It is like being in the school playground again and being bullied by rules that make no sense to the victim [YOU].

So almost daily, I am bombarded with shimmers of Wokeness.

I ran across a new article today that typifies the changing culture. Of all things, it has even invaded "Looney Tunes" cartoons.

Elmer Fudd has made a big change for the newest series of "Looney Tunes" cartoons. The iconic character will no longer use a gun, according to the people behind the show. [The show apparently doesn't want to be associated with gun violence.]

So what are they going to substitute in place of the gun. Well would you consider a scythe!

Hey news flash! - scythes can be very dangerous also.

This is a Statue of Death, personified as a human skeleton dressed in a shroud and clutching a scythe, from the Cathedral of Trier in Trier, Germany.

Source: Elmer Fudd will not use a gun in new 'Looney Tunes' cartoons

So what are other instances of woke in modern society that drive you a little bit crazy?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 10:17 am

Well i see this mostly in social media but, people who act like fictional characters are real people and think art in general should have a social message etc. People acting like liking a fictional villain means you are a psychopath who condone their behaviors.
People who act like your actions in certain video games as a player shows your REAL character. And so on.. The news you shared was also ridiculous.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 10:37 am

Poor Elmer. How is he supposed to shoot that radically rabbit without a shotgun?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 11:43 am

AprilR wrote:
Well i see this mostly in social media but, people who act like fictional characters are real people and think art in general should have a social message etc. People acting like liking a fictional villain means you are a psychopath who condone their behaviors.
People who act like your actions in certain video games as a player shows your REAL character. And so on.. The news you shared was also ridiculous.

Yeah I had on social media someone criticise me for calling Humbert Humbert an unreliable narrator. They said 'no, you can rely on it that he's a paedophile'...

I'm woke myself but...

People who won't learn about other parts of the country (ugh Brendan O'Neill is on the right but he's fuelling this) so assume the UK is the USA. Just because white privilege is almost universal amongst white American gentiles does NOT mean this country treats its Eastern European/Irish Traveller/in some places just Irish in general population well.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2020, 12:07 pm

As a child in the Sixties it never occurred to me to view Elmer Fudd as a....role model!

If anything he made the use of fire arms seem rather UN cool.

And Wily Coyote went BEYOND firearms, and used weapons of mass destruction against the Road Runner. All those hours I watched Wily try to destroy the Road Runner with that plunger thing -that detonates the obligatory stacks of sticks of TNT (from the Acme Dynamite Company)- that would explode just a moment too late to get the Road Runner, but would leave Wily black and smoldering from head to toe- because sumpin always went wrong. Shoulda turned my childhood self into terrorist! But it didn't. :lol:

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 10:56 am

The idea that if you're against police abolition you're racist.

I think if someone didn't know who did a crime in certain American villages (you guys say small towns I know), there'd be a good chance of lynch mobs against black people coming back.

Not sure how it's racist to oppose the situation that would make that happen.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 11:02 am

In my opinion, declaring oneself as "woke" is merely an act of virtue-signalling -- a vain attempt to give the impression that the "woke" person is somehow morally superior to anyone who isn't "woke".  It's like when some people affected the "grunge" look back in the 1990s and declared that anyone who didn't embrace "grunge" was somehow backward and inferior.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 1:15 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Modern society is characterized by being WOKE.

According to Wikipedia: Woke as a political term of African-American origin refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It is derived from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

It clouds or colors the entire world with what is acceptable or not acceptable in society. Every action can be view as evil or good. It is like being in the school playground again and being bullied by rules that make no sense to the victim [YOU].

So almost daily, I am bombarded with shimmers of Wokeness.

I ran across a new article today that typifies the changing culture. Of all things, it has even invaded "Looney Tunes" cartoons.

Elmer Fudd has made a big change for the newest series of "Looney Tunes" cartoons. The iconic character will no longer use a gun, according to the people behind the show. [The show apparently doesn't want to be associated with gun violence.]

So what are they going to substitute in place of the gun. Well would you consider a scythe!

Hey news flash! - scythes can be very dangerous also.

This is a Statue of Death, personified as a human skeleton dressed in a shroud and clutching a scythe, from the Cathedral of Trier in Trier, Germany.

Source: Elmer Fudd will not use a gun in new 'Looney Tunes' cartoons

So what are other instances of woke in modern society that drive you a little bit crazy?

Ever seen the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy? Grim used a scythe all the time.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

blech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2020, 1:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
In my opinion, declaring oneself as "woke" is merely an act of virtue-signalling -- a vain attempt to give the impression that the "woke" person is somehow morally superior to anyone who isn't "woke".  It's like when some people affected the "grunge" look back in the 1990s and declared that anyone who didn't embrace "grunge" was somehow backward and inferior.

Nobody says "I'm woke" with a straight face, but I think it's awesome that we've gone from from internet trolls who use the phrase "social justice warriors" derogatorily to people who realize our current system isn't working and try to change it within a span of ten years.

I do wish most people would go a step farther then they currently are able or willing to go, but I do want to give my kudos to the young folks. I'm an older millennial whose generation was still trying to play by the boomers' rules, but these Gen-Zs have a whole new vision of what the world should look like.

As far as the original post, it's just nonsense to try to dismiss a generation that tries to remedy the social injustice that the older generations either couldn't or wouldn't do anything about with a post about a cartoon, although cartoons are a reflection of the time they were made in and there's nothing wrong with looked at them with a fresh eye in 2020. It's important to separate personal nostalgia with the reality of life for people at the time who didn't have your privilege, and consider if your fond memories are more important than trying to create a better world for everyone going forward.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 2:15 pm

Remember Communism?  Remember why it failed?  One of its foundational principles was that human greed and the other "Deadly Sins" could be forcibly evolved out of the human spirit within a generation.  This was proven to not be true.

"Social Justice" is facing the same barrier -- Human Nature. It is human nature to separate "Us" from "Them", especially by exaggerating the flaws in "Them" while diminishing the same flaws in "Us".  You cannot remove this nature by marching, rioting, or passing legislation; it can only be suppressed one person at a time, and only if that one person is both willing and able to suppress it.

But it will always be there -- it's just human nature.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 09 Jun 2020, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 2:16 pm

blech wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Nobody says "I'm woke" with a straight face, but I think it's awesome that we've gone from from internet trolls who use the phrase "social justice warriors" derogatorily to people who realize our current system isn't working and try to change it within a span of ten years.

I do wish most people would go a step farther then they currently are able or willing to go, but I do want to give my kudos to the young folks. I'm an older millennial whose generation was still trying to play by the boomers' rules, but these Gen-Zs have a whole new vision of what the world should look like.

As far as the original post, it's just nonsense to try to dismiss a generation that tries to remedy the social injustice that the older generations either couldn't or wouldn't do anything about with a post about a cartoon, although cartoons are a reflection of the time they were made in and there's nothing wrong with looked at them with a fresh eye in 2020. It's important to separate personal nostalgia with the reality of life for people at the time who didn't have your privilege, and consider if your fond memories are more important than trying to create a better world for everyone going forward.

I have tried to rewatch many "classics" over the years and turned them off in disgust. One of the worst offenders is early Disney - repeated instances of racism and done over a span of many years. They didn't even try to hide their biases.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 2:27 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
blech wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nobody says "I'm woke" with a straight face, but I think it's awesome that we've gone from from internet trolls who use the phrase "social justice warriors" derogatorily to people who realize our current system isn't working and try to change it within a span of ten years. I do wish most people would go a step farther then they currently are able or willing to go, but I do want to give my kudos to the young folks. I'm an older millennial whose generation was still trying to play by the boomers' rules, but these Gen-Zs have a whole new vision of what the world should look like. As far as the original post, it's just nonsense to try to dismiss a generation that tries to remedy the social injustice that the older generations either couldn't or wouldn't do anything about with a post about a cartoon, although cartoons are a reflection of the time they were made in and there's nothing wrong with looked at them with a fresh eye in 2020. It's important to separate personal nostalgia with the reality of life for people at the time who didn't have your privilege, and consider if your fond memories are more important than trying to create a better world for everyone going forward.
I have tried to rewatch many "classics" over the years and turned them off in disgust. One of the worst offenders is early Disney - repeated instances of racism and done over a span of many years. They didn't even try to hide their biases.
It is sad to say this, but they didn't even try to hide their biases because the prevailing notion was "That's just how things are".  People back then actually believed that those caricatures were accurate depictions of real-life racial traits and behaviors, and that presenting them for laughs was perfectly alright.

But that was then, and this is now.  Today's Hollywood writers have to run their scripts past "Sensitivity Directors" for approval, and any overt displays of racism, sexism, et cetera must be performed by the "bad guys" or by characters that give a repentance speech just before they die heroically.

The stories end up both boring and predictable, or they get filled with spectacular explosions and shapely young women in snug, revealing costumes.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 4:24 pm

Blockbusters have always been filled with bs. Small budget indie films more often portray a realistic multicultural world with real people and real life and not just stereotypes. We all know that media influences the masses. So whatever the reasoning behind the changes in Hollywood it doesn't need to be noble, as long as it keeps happening.
It's not the far right or far left that need to be reached - many have an agenda or an illness as far as I am concerned. It's those on middle ground who can change the status quo by showing support and voting for positive change. I encourage nonviolent means towards meaningful change.
Apathy has created this mess - it's time to make a choice and stand by it. What kind of a person are you?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 4:30 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
... Apathy has created this mess - it's time to make a choice and stand by it. What kind of a person are you?
The kind of person who used to get involved in causes only to get exploited and burned by those in charge.

Never again.  Got a cause?  Good luck with it.  Let me know how it turns out.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 4:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
I love belko61 wrote:
... Apathy has created this mess - it's time to make a choice and stand by it. What kind of a person are you?
The kind of person who used to get involved in causes only to get exploited and burned by those in charge.

Never again.  Got a cause?  Good luck with it.  Let me know how it turns out.

No cause here. Just decency.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 6:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
Remember Communism? 

Ok Boomer the "woke" generation doesn't remember and doesn't care. Presentism is thier guiding world view.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman