Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 4:12 pm

This is focussed on major depression , but I wonder how much burnout in ASD affects sleep quality .

Quote:
Key clinical point: Individuals with major depressive disorder (MDD) have lower sleep quality (SQ) vs. those with burnout syndrome (BS); a bidirectional association is seen between MDD and SQ, whereas BS is predictive for SQ but not vice versa.

https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/clini ... 20syndrome

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 5:24 pm

firemonkey wrote:
This is focussed on major depression , but I wonder how much burnout in ASD affects sleep quality .

Quote:
Key clinical point: Individuals with major depressive disorder (MDD) have lower sleep quality (SQ) vs. those with burnout syndrome (BS); a bidirectional association is seen between MDD and SQ, whereas BS is predictive for SQ but not vice versa.

https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/clini ... 20syndrome

I'd look at it the other way round. Lack of sleep, or poor quality of sleep, leads to increasing levels of stress and exhaustion, and eventually burnout. Once you have burnt out, the actual collapse can come as something of a relief, and sleep might improve. Alternatively if the burnout causes other things to fall apart (relationships, jobs etc.) then sleeping for prolonged periods is a way of hiding from that and/or a way of recovering mentally.

I suspect your question is more nuanced than my answer so apologies if my reply is inappropriate.

I worry a lot about sleep as I'm on the spectrum but also have type 1 diabetes. The latter can affect sleep quality very easily and that tends to provoke an AS downward spiral if I'm not careful.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm

I have not looked at the link, but burnout definately effects sleep quality.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 1:09 am

^^ Your response was fine .