Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 9:46 am

I'm not sleeping well at night, because I keep getting up every hour to pee. My sleep gets disturbed by the urge to pee and I have to keep getting up to relieve my bladder.

This happens the same whether I have caffeine or not (I've had caffeine in the evening before and not needed to get up to pee at all in the night). I don't drink alcohol ever, and I'm not a tea or coffee drinker.

I try not to drink any liquids before I go to bed, but I have to drink a little bit of water to swallow my pills down with (I can't take pills with food, it has to be drink).

I tried looking on Google about how to pee less during the night, but it just said what I've already answered. I was just wondering if anyone here knew of any home remedies that could perhaps dry up the urine in my body or something, so that I can just get a good night's sleep for a change.

I must wake up to pee about 10 times a night and I must pee about 15 times a day. I'm getting sick of it, but I'm not going to bother to see a doctor because they're only interested in you if you have COVID. :roll:

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 4:08 pm

Having to pee all the time is a classic symptom of untreated diabetes.

I would see your GP.

(Yes, I have diabetes!).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 6:09 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Having to pee all the time is a classic symptom of untreated diabetes.

I would see your GP.

(Yes, I have diabetes!).

I hope I don't have diabetes, because that will mean I won't be able to eat half of the things I normally eat any more. I'm not overweight (nor underweight), and diabetes doesn't run in my family, so I don't see why I'd have it.

But the doctors aren't seeing people any more, all they're doing is making a wild guess over the phone. But with diagnosing diabetes don't you have to physically see the doctor? There are some things that doctors just cannot diagnose over the phone.

My bladder's been like this for years, on and off. Surely if I had diabetes I'd be either dead or blind by now, as eating certain foods with diabetes can kill you or make you lose your sight.

I don't seem to have any food intolerances.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 6:52 pm

Too many variables to discuss in detail, but no not necessarily, particularly with Type 2.

Diabetes isn't hereditary, although there's an inherited propensity towards getting Type 1, which may or may not be triggered. Type 2 is pot luck.

I eat what I like, it's fine provided I inject the right insulin dose. That's calculated using a carb to insulin ratio.

You most probably haven't got diabetes, but it will do you some damage over the long term if you have, so get it checked if only to rule it out. Far better to know than not know.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

Joe,
Your doctor can still order blood and urine tests for you, via telephone. I had pneumonia and didn't even see my GP for my initial diagnosis. She sent the papers and lab work directly to the xray clinic and the labs, then ordered my prescriptions to be delivered. I saw her a few weeks later to confirm I was recovering, but didn't need to see her at the start. I think it's worth mentioning to your doctor to get their opinion. It could be something as simple as a UTI even if you don't think you have the normal symptoms. No matter what's causing this, you deserve a good night's sleep and should be able to get some answers quite easily.

Good luck!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 7:20 pm

You definitely need a medical opinion. Check to see whether your medical insurance/plan has some type of hotline you can call for medical advice. You can describe your symptoms and they can tell you what conditions you might have and what you can try to fix the problem.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 7:32 pm

starkid wrote:
medical insurance/plan

None of that nonsense here! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 3:29 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe,
Your doctor can still order blood and urine tests for you, via telephone. I had pneumonia and didn't even see my GP for my initial diagnosis. She sent the papers and lab work directly to the xray clinic and the labs, then ordered my prescriptions to be delivered. I saw her a few weeks later to confirm I was recovering, but didn't need to see her at the start. I think it's worth mentioning to your doctor to get their opinion. It could be something as simple as a UTI even if you don't think you have the normal symptoms. No matter what's causing this, you deserve a good night's sleep and should be able to get some answers quite easily.

Good luck!

I really hope it's not any type of diabetes because I don't want to have to inject myself each day for the rest of my life. God, I hate diabetes, I wish it never existed. If I did have it my life will be over.
I'll have to phone up the doctor, which I hate doing, not just to see if it's this stupid diabetes but to see if I can get treatment for it. Anything for a full night of uninterrupted sleep.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 4:21 am

When I am anxious, nurvous or stressed I drink a lot of liquids. I then need a lot of toilet breaks. It limits me so I can't go to certain areas after 5pm at night because they are built up areas and there are no toilets open. Only dissabled toilets and I am not classed as dissabled.
I also drink liquids when in a partial shutdown or just before as my throat gets dry and I suddenly feel desperate thirst.

One of the issues that I have is that I have recently discovered after desperately needing to drink is that I was anxious the last time I was waiting in the benefits office, and so I started to drink. I have to bring a small bottle of water or cola everywhere. Cola is more effective in a partial shutdown.
So I started taking a few sips, and a security guard rushed towards me. I found out we are not allowed to drink anything in there. The problem is that if I can't drink a liquid, I can't get through being there so in the future, after this lockdown has ended, I need to discuss what I can do about it. If they say I have to go outside, it is ok, but I will be there every few minutes so it is not practical.

It is not diabetis with me.

I have not come across anywhere that I am not allowed to drink anything, except before I was knocked out and I had a very difficult time. The guy wanted to slowly explain the proceedure and I was saying "Knock me out now. Quick!" And I had asked if they could fetch me a drink for when I came round as one is not allowed to drink for many hours (May have been 6 or 12 hours) before one is knocked out. Therefore, I needed to tie it so I was so tired that I had my last drink before I went to bed, and went straight to the place (Brother gave me a lift there and back) and I could go straight in... Though they wanted me to fill in forms etc.. "Grrr!" "Forms!"

But as I am not allowed to drink at the benefits office it is a major concern for me as it is my number one form of stimming as well.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 7:53 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a UTI.
Your doctor might even prescribe antibiotics over the phone without requiring a sample.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 3:10 pm

Usually, Type 2 diabetes doesn’t require injections. I’m definitely not speculating that you might have it.

I’ve been going pretty often today, actually.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2020, 11:48 am

I experience this too, it's frustrating as I often can't back to sleep after and this lead to more visits to the bathroom.

My GP asked me to provide a urine sample which was clear and keep a bladder diary - frequency and volume of input/output. Will see if anything comes from that. I don't drink tea or coffee and I run 5 times per week. My sleep hygiene could be better, admittedly.

Good luck, OP.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 2:22 pm

I have the same problem, I woke up at least 5 times last night, it can be as bad as waking up like 15 times or more a night. I have been tested for everything, normal urine output, just a disproportionate urgency to pee vs how much is actually in my bladder. I haven't really got a diagnosis other than nonspecific urethritis. What I've found works is Gabapentin or Pregabalin one a day before bed, they calm down my bladder nerves so it that it doesn't prevent me from sleeping. I am trying to take a tolerance break for them because I've been using them for years, otherwise with them I'd maybe wake up 1 or 2 times a night.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 5:59 pm

I think it might also be psychological with me. I'll lay there focusing really hard on my bladder and getting up to go to the bathroom even when I don't need to (although I still manage to do a whole pee). I think I just have a fear of wetting the bed in my sleep, even though I haven't done so since I was a small child.

If my bladder is full but I haven't woken up, I sometimes have dreams where I'm sitting on the toilet trying hard to pee but it won't come out. But I'm so petrified that one of these days I might actually pee whilst having these dreams. That would be so embarrassing being so I sleep with my boyfriend. And no, I am not wearing pull-ups or adult diapers! :roll: :oops:

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 7:32 pm

Do you have high blood pressure or anything? I can think of a couple of ideas, one idea if no BP issues is to try eating something salty before bed.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 3:58 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
Do you have high blood pressure or anything? I can think of a couple of ideas, one idea if no BP issues is to try eating something salty before bed.

No, my blood pressure gets checked once a year because I'm on the contraceptive pill and it is always fine.

I used to eat a bag of crisps (potato chips) before going to bed but I had to stop that when I started dieting.