Country music group Lady Antebellum changes name to Lady A

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 6:48 pm

Lady Antebellum Makes Name Change in Response to Black Lives Matter Movement

Quote:
On Thursday (June 11), Lady Antebellum announced that the've officially shortened their name to Lady A in response to the ongoing Black Lives Matter movement.

In a lengthy note to fans on social media, the superstar country trio -- who first broke through in the late 2000s with hits like "Love Don't Live Here," "I Run To You" and "Need You Now" -- explained the reasoning behind the change.

"As a band, we have strived for our music to be a refuge...inclusive to all," they began. "We've watched and listened more than ever these past few weeks, and our hearts have been stirred with conviction, our eyes opened wide to the injustices, inequality and biases Black women and men have always faced and continue to face everyday. Now, blindspots we didn't even know existed have been revealed."

The trio continued: "After much personal reflection, band discussion, prayer and many honest conversations with some of our closest Black friends and colleagues, we have decided to drop the word 'Antebellum' from our name and move forward as Lady A, the nickname our fans gave us almost from the start."

Band mates Hillary Scott, Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood went on to explain the origins of their decision to use "Antebellum" -- which references the pre-Civil War era in the American South -- in their moniker. "When we set out together almost 14 years ago, we named our band after the Southern 'Antebellum' style home where we took our first photos. As musicians, it reminded us of all the music born in the South that influenced us...Southern rock, blues, R&B, gospel and of course country. But we are regretful and embarrassed to say that we did not take into account the associations that weigh down this word...which includes slavery.

"We are deeply sorry for the hurt this has caused and for anyone who has felt unsafe, unseen or unvalued," they continued. "Causing pain was never our hearts' intention, but it doesn't change the fact that indeed, it did just that. So today, we speak up and make a change. We hope you will dig in and join us."

Finally, Lady A concluded their post on a note of reflection and accountability, writing, "We understand that many of you may ask the question 'Why have you not made this change until now?' The answer is that we can make no excuse for our lateness to this realization. What we can do is acknowledge it, turn from it and take action."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 7:02 pm

I was just going to post that story. Wise name change. Always liked their sound. But their name always struck a sour note with me because of the implied nostalgia for the days of slavery.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm

Good on them for changing their name.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 5:56 am

I think their management made a decision in the current climate to protect their brand...its simply business

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2020, 6:36 pm

Great

They ended racism.
You would think a quick glance at the dictionary would have solved this issue before it was an issue. Or perhaps lady Antebellum is a statement about women in that period. It is just absurd that a f*****g word with no context is now cancelled. Worse that only when it was financially pressing to do so did they actually do it.

The way people seen to not be able to know right for from wrong

Similar to when the me too thing happened and all the brave men now made an effort and we treat them like heroes while they pat themselves on the back for not being misogynistz.

f**k that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 1:39 am

The real Lady A might have something to say about this.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 2:17 am

wonder how many of their listeners actually knew what "antebellum" meant, before the band went and spelled it out for them.

or even made the historical connection.

or even cared

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 2:23 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
wonder how many of their listeners actually knew what "antebellum" meant, before the band went and spelled it out for them.

Is 'antebellum' in reference to the pre-war South an obscure term? I'm pretty sure I understood it in reference to that since age 8 or 9 and I'm not even an American would might encounter it in a history book at school.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 4:05 am

its perhaps a coincidence but netflix removed the move "Gone with the Wind" from its channel and within a couple of days Lady Antebellum changed their name to Lady A.

"Gone with the Wind" is perhaps the greatest glorification of the antebellum era which I'm suspecting precipitated their decision.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 4:46 am

If A = Antebellum, then it's an abbreviation, not a name change.

Be the hero of your life.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 5:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Is 'antebellum' in reference to the pre-war South an obscure term? I'm pretty sure I understood it in reference to that since age 8 or 9 and I'm not even an American would might encounter it in a history book at school.

I don't consider it an obscure term. My fellow Americans should know what it means. But maybe I am asking too much of my fellow Americans. Lol!

In all fairness the word "antebellum" (prior to the fame of the band)was only heard, or seen in print, one way. That one way was coupled with the word "mansion". The few plantation homes that survived the war became local tourist attractions in the south. "See our lovely antebellum mansions". But that should be enough for anyone to make the connection that "antebellum equals built upon the backs of the slaves".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 5:30 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
If A = Antebellum, then it's an abbreviation, not a name change.

Well technically the A doesn't stand for antebellum anymore....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 5:34 am

killerBunny wrote:
Great

They ended racism.
You would think a quick glance at the dictionary would have solved this issue before it was an issue. Or perhaps lady Antebellum is a statement about women in that period. It is just absurd that a f*****g word with no context is now cancelled. Worse that only when it was financially pressing to do so did they actually do it.

The way people seen to not be able to know right for from wrong

Similar to when the me too thing happened and all the brave men now made an effort and we treat them like heroes while they pat themselves on the back for not being misogynistz.

f**k that.

I cant figure out what your point is.

Are you upset that the band had that name?

Or are you upset that they changed the name?