Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 5:47 am

There was a quote from this locked thread: viewtopic.php?t=387908

Quote:
I’ve met a few guys here with knowledge of things outside of bowling and technology.

Now of course I'm familiar with the autism/technology stereotype, but bowling? I've never heard that one before. (for the record I'm an avid bowler :) ).

Are there any other autism stereotypes I may not be familiar with?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 8:36 am

Stereotypes can be a sort of useful mental shorthand. For example if the previous five people you have met from Ireland all kicked you in the shin, it would be prudent to cover your shin when introduced to a sixth.

I suspect that in the example you cite that the word "bowling" was selected as a pejorative rather than contributing to the identification of an actual type.

Words are used in language to transfer an image or concept from one person to another. Stereotypes, like words, need to have a common definition in order to transmit what is intended. In the example you cite, I suspect that the reference to technology was insufficient to carry the negative connotation the writer desired to impart.

In the movie "Breakfast Club" one teenager tells another that his father should go bowling with the other father. This is to use the activity of bowling as an insult.

One might deduce from this usage that bowling may have initially been intended to identify blue collar workers which are supposed to be considered less intelligent than others. If have found this sort of smug disdain to be much more of a negative than being a blue collar worker.

I have been thinking lately that of all the people I have met in life, I have never found one that went to college that was not harmed by the experience. As a result, I am unable to validate the attempt to insult someone by associating them with bowling. I can appreciate the intent of the writer, I am just not able to agree with that point of view.

Like most things spoken in life, one has to consider if what is said is true. If untrue, it can be helpful to understand why it is being said.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 12:22 am

Bowling is not a stereotypical autistic interest. Modern forms of transportation (especially trains) and dinosaurs are.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 2:07 pm

starkid wrote:
Bowling is not a stereotypical autistic interest. Modern forms of transportation (especially trains) and dinosaurs are.

The interest I see in trains is more often historical than modern. I'd nominate computers as a more typical interest.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 2:10 pm

Steriotypes? I am not into music so I don't know.

I do love trains though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 6:01 pm

Bowling is definitely not associated with Aspies.

Saying this, I used to be an avid yet rather poor bowler, and was a steady watcher of the PBA Tour.