Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2020, 8:59 am

Anyone like astronomy or physics? Try to explain something in those fields that is interesting and see if you can stump me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 9:02 am

You first.  Present a valid equation that accurately explains the transfer characteristics of a typical lambda diode in relation to the Vco and Idss of both of its active components.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 9:08 am

I do like it.
I just suck at the terminologies and technobabble to memorize that comes with it.

And, I don't have enough math vocabulary and grammar skills for advanced stuff yet and also still suck at memorizing formulas along with countless stuff that relates to string of numbers involving the elements.

Otherwise, I can picture a lot of things out. :oops:

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 9:46 am

Here are a few to ponder over.

1.). In atoms, electrons move around the nucleus in spaces of high probability areas that we call orbits. While they appear to move randomly in these areas, that is simply not the case. Explain exactly what is causing them to travel those strange paths within orbit shells.

2.). Matter and anti-matter particles form in exactly equal amounts during pair production. Yet in the known universe, matter is predominantly found while anti-matter is considered very rare. Why is it not 50% matter and 50 % anti-matter?

3.). Neutrinos and anti-neutrinos can both pass through large amounts of matter without interacting with it. They will undergo annihilation with each other to yield two photons of blue light. What exactly allows neutrinos to travel through matter uninhibited this way?

4.). What specifically causes the Z boson to be its own anti-particle? Draw the substructure of it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:08 am

@QuantumChemist: Did we break the OP?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:46 am

Hokieman is probably seriously studying the questions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hokieman is probably seriously studying the questions.
I'll believe that when I see his results.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:09 am

I used to think that I liked it; in fact, I earned my Bachelor's degree in Astrophysics.

I found, however, that contemporary physics is unnecessarily abstract, more concerned with unrealistically neat and tidy models and their metaphorical details than with describing concrete physical reality (which is what interests me and motivated me to major in physics).

I think what I'm interested in is called natural philosophy.

Here is a question for you: why promote conservation of energy as a fact given that not all the energy transferred within a system is measurable (some is dissipated), thus rendering conservation of energy empirically unverifiable?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 11:15 am

starkid wrote:
... contemporary physics is unnecessarily abstract, more concerned with unrealistically neat and tidy models and their metaphorical details than with describing concrete physical reality (which is what interests me and motivated me to major in physics)...
That's why I took up engineering: to use those abstract concepts in making something real.
starkid wrote:
Here is a question for you: why promote conservation of energy as a fact given that not all the energy transferred within a system is measurable (some is dissipated), thus rendering conservation of energy empirically unverifiable?
Because, in a closed system, energy is not dissipated, only transformed.  It's in an open system where all of the dissipation may not be directly measurable, but only inferred from the measurable energy that remains.

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm

Ha,ha you guys probably broke me the OP.I think I like trying to understand this stuff.I break myself trying to create stuff at times too.Anyways this has been pretty fun!

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2020, 3:47 pm

I only consider myself to be very interested in astronomy particularly, not as much with physics, usally my mind gets warped before I get very far.I probably don't really understand astronomy or physics as much as I might think I do.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 4:29 pm

Yes, the fun part of physics is using it to make neat widgets. But not so much talking to people about how someone is wrong about something.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 6:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
@QuantumChemist: Did we break the OP?

I was not trying to intentionally. These are questions that I have been using my theoretical research to try to solve.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 7:36 pm

In my own case...
The abstract stuff for me is meta -- basically finding a way to make sense of what already exists yet cannot be explained.
Thus 'models' and theory -- the models are just a bunch of make up rules to make sense of the fundamental systems that supposed to make sense of why reality is reality.
I'd like to bet, there are systems that may already exists just outside the current languages or base numbers we have today.

In which, in my point of view is paralleled in terms of humanities with psychology and culture.
Culture is already there, psychology is new has it's own models of humanity that are easily updated due to culture's change...
Basically, psychology is why the human is being human, or why a being is being.
Not to mention there are already barely words for most emotions with all the languages out here.

Again, with any verbal terminologies, I'd suck recalling them.

I won't study either of it formally because it wouldn't be worth it to only capture a fraction of intangible snapshots of my thoughts while spending years confining to terms that may not entirely fit.
So I'd formally study something practical for livelihood's sake.

Yet the point of me finding, listening or reading to verbal terms in the first place is to capture a picture of something more abstract.
Which is something I continuously do, in a deep and naturally aspie way of attempting to make systems of making sense of everything, be it the physical existence or existentialisms.

So I do get far and deep myself. :lol: Just in undescribable terms.
Unless I found such terms, which would quickly make sense as soon as I'd get past the verbal dialogues barrier.
And on top of having to recall said terms in later dates, which is something I'd still struggle in general.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 6:24 am

Hokieman7 wrote:
Anyone like astronomy or physics? Try to explain something in those fields that is interesting and see if you can stump me.

I like astronomy and physics, but what is the point of explaining something if you will respond like a stump?

"When you have become a mighty warrior, better than the other men in your village, you must go into the forest, and search for the tallest tree there. Then, you should tell that tree how great you are."
- Laws of the Eastern Algonquin.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 12:16 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
Here are a few to ponder over.

2.). Matter and anti-matter particles form in exactly equal amounts during pair production. Yet in the known universe, matter is predominantly found while anti-matter is considered very rare. Why is it not 50% matter and 50 % anti-matter?

There was an uneven number of particles produced, with one more matter particle. Mutual annihilation means that only one survives, if it is not damaged by the battles. Since mutual annihilation produces energy, it can re-condense as all matter, and will not rest until it does.