Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2020, 4:06 pm

This is the kind of information that meets parents of autistic children. This is taking advantage of parents who want to help their children live full life without any diagnosis.

I have reported this video to youtube for being a total scam. I sometimes wonder if it's the people buying into it who are the dumbest or the ones making this garbage up. Just look at it "30 minutes into treatment - already showing improvement" :roll: He's got his feet in a foot bath ffs, it's not going to make any difference at all other than maybe cleaning his feet.

I've lost so much respect for people, even people generations before us. All this time has gone by and we still don't know s**t about ourselves. "Refrigerator moms". Just look at the expertise some 60 years ago. And even today these doctors and shrinks try to pretend they know/understand anything. Seems like all ideas so far are complete train wrecks.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 12:06 pm

Glad you're on it, Jon. Chelation therapy is responsible for quite a few deaths of autistic children and adults. It's associated with serious side effects including potentially deadly kidney damage. Parents seeking "cures", "treatments" for their children are easy prey to quackery, especially early on into the diagnosis. Knowledge and acceptance is key, and can save a whole lot of harm. Chelation is based on the belief that mercury causes autism ... complete and utter misinformation, which has been long proven to be incorrect.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 9:43 am

40 years ago I worked on a crisis hotline. I would give a four hour lecture on the whole spectrum of drugs to new volunteers as part of their training. I would get comments from different people afterwards regarding their own experiences.

Because there was advertising on TV at the time for a recovery clinic, I felt obligated to explain that this should not be used as a resource to suggest to families. During a break a gal came up to me grateful for my cautionary warning because she had worked for the clinic and had been instructed to say whatever was necessary to get people to come in and sign up.

It doesn't matter if people are motivated by good intentions, malice, ignorance, or greed, declarations of "solutions" to problems can go wrong (sometimes drastically wrong).

The key to surviving an onslaught of bad information is to grow in familiarity with truth. This is not as easy as one might expect. Sometimes comfort has a greater appeal than truth. Wisdom and discernment are also critical elements to avoid the snares scattered throughout the avalanche of information to which we are subjected.

Thank you Jon81 for your concern that people might be misled. So many people have come to be led by and rely on "experts" that few make the effort to apply skepticism.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 8:24 am

It bothers me that autism-related providers can’t just say that sometimes a child is misdiagnosed and that’s why the diagnosis goes away.

There is also not as much awareness that mildly autistic people can and do learn to blend in to the degree where they are indistinguishable from non-autistics.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 5:13 pm

Jon81 wrote:
This is the kind of information that meets parents of autistic children. This is taking advantage of parents who want to help their children live full life without any diagnosis.

It boggles my mind people turn to Youtube, Facebook videos for truth. The gullibility.

I turn to Wikipedia. It's not 100% perfect but it's a start. Better than Youtube, lol.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2020, 2:40 pm

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

It boggles my mind people turn to Youtube, Facebook videos for truth. The gullibility.

I turn to Wikipedia. It's not 100% perfect but it's a start. Better than Youtube, lol.

I know what you mean. However, you're not going to find much help on wikipedia at all. You need to get everything validated, something that's quite hard for anyone to do at this point regarding autism. Even the validated "facts" are somewhat BS if you ask me.

That's the reason these people take advantage of the situation. It's difficult to say otherwise when people claim to have found some kind of cure for the condition.

It's the people that know exactly what they're doing when pulling a scam that I'm after here. There are people who honestly believe what they're doing is good, and that's a different story.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 5:28 pm

Jon81 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

I know what you mean. However, you're not going to find much help on wikipedia at all. You need to get everything validated, something that's quite hard for anyone to do at this point regarding autism. Even the validated "facts" are somewhat BS if you ask me.

That's the reason these people take advantage of the situation. It's difficult to say otherwise when people claim to have found some kind of cure for the condition.

It's the people that know exactly what they're doing when pulling a scam that I'm after here. There are people who honestly believe what they're doing is good, and that's a different story.

I have not looked up autism on Wikipedia, but I did look up Asperger's, and really I did not find anything major amiss. Do you, and if so, what?

In general, Wikipedia's my go-to source mostly for things like nutrition, medicine, religion, mythology, gods and goddesses. Anything under the Sun I want to know more about. I have not found any "WHOPPERS" on there. They are pretty conservative what they allow in for the most part. Just my experience.

Contrast that with YouTube...it's a challenge finding anything halfway accurate on YouTube, most of that stuff is really shallow. Just peeps getting up in front of the camera talking off their head.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2020, 3:02 pm

Jon81 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

I have not looked up autism on Wikipedia, but I did look up Asperger's, and really I did not find anything major amiss. Do you, and if so, what?

In general, Wikipedia's my go-to source mostly for things like nutrition, medicine, religion, mythology, gods and goddesses. Anything under the Sun I want to know more about. I have not found any "WHOPPERS" on there. They are pretty conservative what they allow in for the most part. Just my experience.

Contrast that with YouTube...it's a challenge finding anything halfway accurate on YouTube, most of that stuff is really shallow. Just peeps getting up in front of the camera talking off their head.

Ok, I retreat and lay flat. You're completely correct about youtube, and actually that's the thing I was saying in the first place. They let these complete lies slip through the net.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 4:36 pm

Jon81 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

Ok, I retreat and lay flat. You're completely correct about youtube, and actually that's the thing I was saying in the first place. They let these complete lies slip through the net.

Well I am glad you concur, I would be dismayed to find my primary "go-to" source is off.

I have chatted up college professors that were dismissive of Wikipedia, but I think their main beef was, students using it as the ONLY source for their term papers. It raised their hackles, mine too, if you think back to the day when I trudged the library or several libraries, went to the Dewey Decimal System card catalog, looked up books, checked out some, photo-copied others, took notes on note cards, numbered the note cards, wrote on the back of the note cards, etc. etc.

Well things are easier for students of today, they can pop on the net and grab a lot right there. I am not sure whether students still use a library or not. I don't know how they do research these days. I bet there is a web site they go to with more sources than Wikipedia offers. I bet they don't have to check out books like I did.

But yeah Youtube sucks for anything factual/information-based. Bunch o' charlatans, wanna-be's, meme-makers and so on. However, I will say this, there are some cool peeps on there too, you know you take the good with the bad. You subscribe to the good ones, so in the end you will see more of them.