Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 2:27 am

I've suffered from a really bad phlegm problem all my life, along with some intestinal and lung issues all my life. Decades ago I saw a movie about a little girl with classic CF. She had worse phlegm issues than I have, along with a bunch of other health issues. At the time I did note that we both had phlegm issues but didn't see myself as suffering from CF, as I didn't fit the other Classic CF symptoms. My phlegm and other health issues have gradually gotten worse over the years, so they are becoming a real problem for me. About a week ago it suddenly occurred to me that maybe there is a milder form of the disease, so I looked into it. Turns out that there is a milder form of CF called atypical CF. I fit the profile on that. Unlike classic CF which drastically shortens the life, people with atypical CF can live a lot longer, sometimes even a full-length life span. One of the problems with Atypical CF is diagnosing it. Sometimes people don't find out till late in life that this is the cause of some or all of their health issues. One article said that one lady was 70 when she was finally diagnosed. I'm 60. After reading up on it, I really think this is what's been making me miserable all my life. Next time I see a doc, I'll ask them to check it out for me. I think they have to do a gene test to see if I have any CF genes. With classic CF you need CF genes from both parents, but atypical CF is caused by having CF genes from only one parent. If you only have the genes from one parent, you might not have any symptoms, or you could have symptoms ranging from very minor, to more serious. It can even get gradually worse over time, like with me.

I'm also going to look into natural health aids for dealing with my phlegm issues, as they are less likely to have harmful side effects than the drugs prescribed by docs.

Does anyone else here suffer from atypical CF, and if so what kinds of meds or other treatments were you prescribed?