Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2020, 1:27 pm

I'm diagnosed "Autism Spectrum Disorder" about 10 years ago by a psychologist who specializes in same. I used to have a local aspie group that met once a month, but when its founder retired the group died, so I've been pretty much the only aspie I know for a long time. Which is like it was before that, as well, as I didn't know anyone aspie before that, either.

I did get some additional benefit from the psychologist I saw for awhile, in that he helped me understand why I was getting abused and hated at my work place (and other places, but I was there specifically because I was about to lose another job due to social problems I wasn't recognizing or responding to intelligently). I was able to learn some of what he tried to teach me (like I had never heard of or understood "frenemy" before), but my insurance ran out after only a few times so I wasn't able to continue to see him for more instruction.

In any event, I have a ham radio license and plan to up my license to Extra this fall. I live in a radiowave valley right now, and can't get any signal of any kind, and I don't have the money or property to do the big towers. So I study and plan to do QRP as soon as I learn morse code.

I also enjoy wild birds of all kinds, and I rarely go anywhere without at least a small binoculars. Doesn't matter if it's "just" crows or starlings - I never get tired of watching them. And of course I enjoy finding new (to me) birds, as well.

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 1:43 pm

Welcome to wrong planet.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 1:50 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. My brother has a radio ham licence.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 1:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

I love woodpeckers. They are beautiful birds. I feed them in the winter when there is snow on the ground.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 6:21 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Watching birds is a quite nice hobby to have. I personally like to watch for the different flying patterns they have, and differences in the patterns of their singing.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 8:00 pm

Welcome to wrong planet

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 8:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet from another bird watcher.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2020, 3:26 am

Welcome to another ham!

I'm an Extra, licensed for 10 years after 40 years of avid lurking. I monitor everything from longwave to 800MHz public safety. Just moved out of a valley and am getting used to the propagation quirks of my new location. No antennas up yet, so have been lurking on broadcast FM here and notice stations from hundreds of miles away (notably Lewiston, ME from west central CT) . Waiting to see if this is a regular feature of being a couple of hundred feet up on the slope of a big hill or a summer temp inversion. I miss analog TV. ;) Haven't put up any HF wires here yet, but have more room here than where I was (and I had a couple of wires there). My favorite band is 80m. Have talked as far east as Cyprus, Crete and Russia with 200W and a wire on 80m phone. No plans for towers at present.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 5:55 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 2:56 pm

Welcome to WP, for the last few weeks I've got to enjoy watching all sorts of garden birds, quite fond of this territorial little wren that visits while I have my morning coffee.

TamiSchall
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2020, 3:28 am

Welcome!