Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 4:24 pm

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 4:28 am

I went to a prestigious British art school to learn with horror that that level of drawing really does count as "skilled" in Britain

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 6:30 am

My drawing skills are at best at the level of a 7 year old. Both my brother and sister have above average artistic skills.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 6:37 am

I want to draw. 3D art I can do as I regularly do it with my hobby.. But 2D artwork, I want to learn. What this short film has taught me is that art is about the methods used. Now this has cleared up a mystery to me and has enabled me to think that if I learn a few of these methods, I will be able to draw!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 9:15 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I want to draw. 3D art I can do as I regularly do it with my hobby.. But 2D artwork, I want to learn. What this short film has taught me is that art is about the methods used. Now this has cleared up a mystery to me and has enabled me to think that if I learn a few of these methods, I will be able to draw!

Take different artists with different styles and practice by copying. That way, you'll figure out how styles work, and then you can create your own.
The rest is drawing from observation (well, I guess so is copying styles, actually) and practice.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 9:26 am

shlaifu wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Take different artists with different styles and practice by copying. That way, you'll figure out how styles work, and then you can create your own.
The rest is drawing from observation (well, I guess so is copying styles, actually) and practice.

I want to draw scenery as a backdrop for my trains to pass through.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 10:44 am

I used to like drawing even though I’m not very good at it, back when I was taking a medication that lessened my essential tremor. I had to stop taking that, though, because it was making my blood pressure drop too low, and now I just get frustrated with the tremor any time I try to draw.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 10:50 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I want to draw scenery as a backdrop for my trains to pass through.

Cool! There's lots of great landscape painters, British people like John Constable for example. But if you prefer to draw, rather than paint, then japanese woodcut artists, like Hiroshige, Hokusai or Hasui Kawase might be worth a look.

Just pick something you like, and don't worry if you need a lot of attempts.
It can be frustrating, it's hard, but if it weren't, it wouldn't be rewarding to learn.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 3:37 pm

OK, that was fun - I scribbled along while watching. A few years back I really wanted to learn to draw well enough to do a webcomic, but never got anywhere with it. I can kind of draw little cartoon faces- usually in 3/4 profile, like these ones. Not very consistently, though- if I try to repeat one it doesn't work. Still, this has made me want to start doodling again.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 3:53 pm

It is something that is great. It opens a new world of oppertunities.

DavidSmitis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2020, 12:48 am

Now illustrator is a very popular profession. There are many companies looking for talented people to draw branded bags, create badges, create movie characters, etc.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 4:20 am

shlaifu wrote:
I went to a prestigious British art school to learn with horror that that level of drawing really does count as "skilled" in Britain

yikes...don't go to an "art school" if you want to see technical skill. :lol:

i drew/painted my current avatar, and a few before it. *here* is the full thing...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 5:35 am

Thanks, MG. I’ll be on the lookout for more things I “can’t”do. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 6:03 am

My drawing is at elementary school level.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 2:54 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

yikes...don't go to an "art school" if you want to see technical skill. :lol:

i drew/painted my current avatar, and a few before it. *here* is the full thing...

"2224.1 Blue/Not Blue (mixed media, 2019). The abrasions in the scavenged concrete are a chronoclastic metonymy for the liminal reification of violence, building on the transiterative vocabulary of the "Unhappenings" of the Pinsk School in a way that engages with and yet challenges their work. The twisted umbrella spokes, obviously, constitute an ambiguous meditation on the Hamburg Stock Exchange crash of 1929 considered as Joycean epiphany. Please fund me."

DavidSmitis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2020, 7:16 am

DavidSmitis wrote:
Now illustrator is a very popular profession. There are many companies looking for talented people to draw branded bags, create badges, create movie characters, etc.

Even the school level can be used in work, and will develop further.