[ LONG ] The Chinese Room Thought Experiment.

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Basil342
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2020, 7:45 pm

Jakki wrote:
Mod bots and monitor bots ARE in use on at least one chatsite that
, i am aware of Usually have preset triggers to activate their monitoring of conversation, These automated bots never contribute to the threads..
The site as i understand has thread rooms for designations regarding various self identified issues .
And various named bots are assigned to all thread rooms on the site . Only few of the bots are known to all persons engaging on that site . Also supported by live moderators aswell, similiar
to this site . Site is rife with persons testing their skills to stump the sites operators ,and their bots, As it has appeared to me And to past moderators of that same site ,that have been friends with. These same individuals will do multiples of thread participants in efforts to "negate any beneficial persons suggestion by valid posters ,," using erroneous information . Supposedly it was initiatlly designed to be strictly a health support site. Have no idea if that had spread to any other support sites . Their are actually apps available on the net to aid moderators in watching various threads ,,that i have been warned thst some of these apps are also being employed by mean spirited persons with nothing else to do but make attempts to beat the moderators/operators of that same site .
this is only offered as a fyi to any and everyone .

That's interesting. It runs in line with human nature or at least my understanding of it. I believe humans or at the very least a subset of humans that will always test something to its limits to find its limits which can even if done maliciously can be beneficial.

Think of online security companies that hire outside "hackers" to specifically exploit their systems. The "hacker" does it out of curiosity and to some extent for sport (or even completely self-serving), but the designing company gains Intel on how it could be exploited and can attempt to "patch the holes." I've always run under the theory "if it can be built, it can be taken apart."

It does show a practical usage of an AI member and even possible benefits. It lends to the arguement of keeping an AI.

Basil342

23 Jun 2020, 8:01 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Well. We have no definition of consciousness, and the zombie per definition eludes our understanding (he's lacking... What? Exactly?).
The spamposting AI is a machine, we can understand it in its entirety.

The zombie is lacking self-awareness. Someone who completely lacks or is incapable of conscious knowledge of one's own character, feelings, motives, and desires. Something like a sociopath that is incapable of empathy or remorse that has no goal in life. Just a walking, talking, body, by every definition dead inside, hence "zombie."

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 4:56 am

Basil342 wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Well. We have no definition of consciousness, and the zombie per definition eludes our understanding (he's lacking... What? Exactly?).
The spamposting AI is a machine, we can understand it in its entirety.

The zombie is lacking self-awareness. Someone who completely lacks or is incapable of conscious knowledge of one's own character, feelings, motives, and desires. Something like a sociopath that is incapable of empathy or remorse that has no goal in life. Just a walking, talking, body, by every definition dead inside, hence "zombie."

Philosophy Zombie: A theoretical person whose behavior is indistinguishable from normal humans, except they have no internal, private experience (consciousness). It is an active debate in philosophy of mind whether or not this concept is possible in reality, metaphysically possible, or even a coherent idea.

That's not 'by every definition dead inside'.
That's a digesting body with measurable brain activity etc.

I was thinking we could put them to work, but then I realized that actually was the argument for slavery before: that the enslaved people weren't really human. But philosophers realized they had no good distinction between humans and slaves or humans and kings.
So the philosophy zombie is indistinguishable from the outside. No brainscan could detect it.

I'm a materialist and assume, for now, that consciousness is an emergent effect if brain function. If the philosophy zombie has brainfunction but no consciousness, it's a paradox.
But I don't actually *know* if consciousness is an emergent effect of brain function or something else.
If it's something else, will we be able to detect it? Then we could tell the philosophical zombie from humans, and that would break with the description of the phil.zombie.
If we can't detect consciousness and it stays elusive, then *by definition* we won't be able to distinguish humans from philosophy zombies within the given frame of what we call 'natural'. But we don't have a definition for natural and supernatural either.

Basil342

24 Jun 2020, 12:00 pm

shlaifu wrote:
That's not 'by every definition dead inside'.
That's a digesting body with measurable brain activity etc.

I was thinking we could put them to work, but then I realized that actually was the argument for slavery before: that the enslaved people weren't really human. But philosophers realized they had no good distinction between humans and slaves or humans and kings.
So the philosophy zombie is indistinguishable from the outside. No brainscan could detect it.

I'm a materialist and assume, for now, that consciousness is an emergent effect if brain function. If the philosophy zombie has brainfunction but no consciousness, it's a paradox.
But I don't actually *know* if consciousness is an emergent effect of brain function or something else.
If it's something else, will we be able to detect it? Then we could tell the philosophical zombie from humans, and that would break with the description of the phil.zombie.
If we can't detect consciousness and it stays elusive, then *by definition* we won't be able to distinguish humans from philosophy zombies within the given frame of what we call 'natural'. But we don't have a definition for natural and supernatural either.

That is a valid point. I meant more along the lines of emotionally dead inside. Completely void of purpose. More like the parts of the brain that would normally control this (assuming it is in the brain) are dead. Similar to that of a computer. Currently a computer is capable of preforming tasks however limited but isn't self-aware because it lacks the system to process these advanced processes.

I also couldn't agree more about the slavery statement.