Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 9:00 pm

And why is your answer “Yes?” :chin:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 9:21 pm

Is it okay to punch an antifa member?
And why is it wrong to embrace "an eye for an eye"?

Aren't you encouraging violence?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And why is your answer “Yes?” :chin:

To quote Isaac Asimov:
Quote:
Violenece is the last refuge of the incompetent

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to talk with them and explain\educate them on what is wrong with their beliefs, and how yours are better?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 10:06 pm

If we don’t punch them, are we complicit in their actions?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 10:58 pm

Woody Allen would say "yes". He is ...rather persuasive... for a few seconds...then the topic changes to...orgasms.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:06 pm

I don't know how many Nazis are still alive today. Aside from that I guess it depends on whether or not the "Nazi" is attacking and you're punching in self defense? Then I'd say it's ok. If the "Nazi" is obeying the law and acting peacefully then punching them is just thuggery poorly masquerading in self-righteousness.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I ask myself same question about antifa(no not really just proving a point)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:19 pm

If you start seeing them reemerging in large enough numbers it's probably worth addressing the underlying causes that would make it a 'thing'. One of the ongoing theories that's shown persuasive cause and effect is that fascism (of which naziism is a very unusual and particular sort) is a bit like a cultural immune response that starts happening when certain kinds of things are already going horribly wrong economically and socially. Patch the proximate causes if possible and the fascism generator function grinds either to a halt or to such a crawl that it's creating something like a few dozen or a few hundred worldwide every year.

Punching them seems like an abdication of examining what they're a sign of, although obviously if they're physically confronting you or being physically aggressive toward someone where you're at and you decide to break it up it's a different story.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:26 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
If you start seeing them reemerging in large enough numbers it's probably worth addressing the underlying causes that would make it a 'thing'.

One of the most obvious generator functions, something Mark Blyth was talking about as far back as his original Global Trumpism and is now hitting on with his book Angrynomics:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:27 pm

Magna wrote:
I don't know how many Nazis are still alive today.

He was talking about the people that are born and raised today (a lot of them are pretty young) who are wishing Hitler were to win. Look up "American Nazi Party" for example.

Punching the Nazi that "was" alive during World War 2 would be punching the elderly, which would be wrong on so many levels.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:33 pm

QFT wrote:
Punching the Nazi that "was" alive during World War 2 would be punching the elderly, which would be wrong on so many levels.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure everyone here agrees with you on that (punching an elderly Nazi). Doubtful they'll come right out and say it though.

Last edited by Magna on 20 Jun 2020, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:39 pm

Magna wrote:
QFT wrote:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure everyone here agrees with you here on that (punching an elderly Nazi). Doubtful they'll come right out and say it though.

I am sure a good portion of elderly ex-Nazis are very strong anti-nazis, because of the bad taste in their mouth from all their shocking memories.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:55 pm

sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I ask myself same question about antifa(no not really just proving a point)

USA is anti fascist. You’re anti USA now?

:lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 12:02 am

QFT wrote:
Magna wrote:
QFT wrote:

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure everyone here agrees with you here on that (punching an elderly Nazi). Doubtful they'll come right out and say it though.

I am sure a good portion of elderly ex-Nazis are very strong anti-nazis, because of the bad taste in their mouth from all their shocking memories.

Depends. Might be hard to punch some old Nazi housewife in the face, buuuut, if it were a CONFIRMED Nazi war criminal who was a ruthless mass murderer? f**k that guy! Punch him right in the face. Hard - like it’s a-okay if it kills him, hard. 8)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 12:04 am

I somehow don't think the US soldiers at Normandy were putting on black masks in the u-boats to then go vandalize French cities. I could round up a bunch of friends, call us 'anti-breast-cancer', put pink arm bands on, go smash and loot things (places that aren't smoke shops or creating carcinogenic products), and then when me and my friends get arrested it would be proof that the police are in favor of breast cancer.

IMHO they've got a meth-head problem to deal with before they can be taken very seriously by their name.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 12:12 am

goldfish21 wrote:
QFT wrote:
Magna wrote:
QFT wrote:

Depends. Might be hard to punch some old Nazi housewife in the face, buuuut, if it were a CONFIRMED Nazi war criminal who was a ruthless mass murderer? f**k that guy! Punch him right in the face. Hard - like it’s a-okay if it kills him, hard. 8)

Advocating for killing people. WP 2.0?