Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:49 pm

Earlier this year, a clinical social worker gave me an autism diagnosis and the psychiatrist agreed, and also added mild ADHD. The cliniton claimed I was obvious enough that people that don't know me very well but are familiar with autism would pick me out.

Also a different psychiatrist when I was inpatient for bipolar symptoms (which I also have) brought it up too.

But I sort of feel like this diagnosis is "less legit" than someone that went through hours of testing...

Why am I so insecure about this still??? Like I just can't accept it :(

Also having depression problems too...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:54 pm

You have a legit diagnosis.

I wish you could at least volunteer at a zoo.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 7:34 pm

Maybe they feel that you don't need extensive testing because you've been in mental health treatment for a while and they've had the opportunity to observe you.

Someone on YouTube said that he was diagnosed with Asperger's after nothing but filling out a questionnaire.

I once contacted a psychologist about an evaluation and was told that all he'd do is interview me and have me fill some things out, no neuropsych testing or ADOS

Different clinicians seem to do things differently...honestly I half don't trust them or care anymore because it seems like so many are winging it. It's as if there is no standardized evaluation procedure for an adult. It seems like only people specifically trained in neuropsychology do the extensive testing; psychologists, social workers, etc. are more informal about evaluations and diagnoses.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 7:43 pm

Did the psychiatrist interview you or have you fill out any questionnaires? What happened?

Dreamtastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jun 2020, 7:53 pm

You know, I'm honestly not sure. I've always been told that testing is required for an official diagnosis. But then again, my understanding is that there is nothing in the DSM diagnostic criteria indicating any kind of testing is required for an autism diagnosis. I've always had this sort of inkling that it is actually our for-profit healthcare system (at least in the US) that insists upon testing, which is generally quite expensive (and therefore profitable).

But I guess that if it was a psychiatrist who gave you the diagnosis, it just very well might be official! But once again, I don't know for sure. I don't know if it would hold up as a legal diagnosis for all purposes such as disability benefits, etc. without testing.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 11:05 am

I already get disability for being bipolar.

The only screenings I got were a few years ago when a therapist suspected autism and gave me the AQ questionare and RAADS, and the therapist thought I had it based on the results.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Deanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2020, 11:46 am

I understand. I got my "diagnosis" from a psychologist, but didn't go through the full diagnostic test process. She told me it's an 8-hour process and not really needed in my circumstances (57 years old, able to cope). I find myself questioning it.