Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:34 am

"The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" is moving to change it's name due to slavery reference concerns.

The order shortens the official name of the state to simply "Rhode Island" and removes the word plantations from all state official documents and communications with the Governor.Effective as soon a practicable and possible.

According to the states legislature it will move forward with a bill to change the states official name as soon as possible.

Senate legislation will put a ballot question for voters in november as well concerning changing the name.

The Providence journal reports there was a previous ballot measure to change the states name in 2010 but it failed by 78% of voters.

I'm slightly confused,we have an executive order by the Governor,a bill by the state assembly and a state senate sponsored ballot measure.Which one will come to law first,I guess the executive order will hold down the fort until the house and senate figure out there end of things.

But in any case The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is getting a new name,Which is what Rhode Island always been known as colloquially anyway.

masslive.com

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 7:16 am

vermontsavant wrote:
"The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"

Never knew or heard of that.

Be the hero of your life.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:03 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
"The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"

Never knew or heard of that.
It's never been used colloquially,you would have to see an official state document.I once bought a used car on the internet in Tiverton,RI and of coarse it came with a RI registration and title.Otherwise I'd never seen that either,it's never spoken.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:16 am

Tl;dr:

Rhode Island now officially Rhode Island.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:40 am

Lets name it for Joe Biden. Bidenstan.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:41 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Tl;dr:

Rhode Island now officially Rhode Island.
There is an executive order that should hold over until the legislature or a ballot question will finalize it officially.More or less official I supose.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:14 am

I am confused. How does any change actually occur for the so-called name change of rhode island?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:19 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
I am confused. How does any change actually occur for the so-called name change of rhode island?

Current official name: "The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations", commonly just called "Rhode Island".

After the change the official name will be "Rhode Island", and it'll still be commonly called "Rhode Island".

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:50 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Current official name: "The state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations", commonly just called "Rhode Island".

After the change the official name will be "Rhode Island", and it'll still be commonly called "Rhode Island".

Oh, ok, I thought Providence plantations was a city, not part of the state name. Thanks for clarifying.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:53 am

No problem, I was confused for a good while too.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 10:42 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Oh, ok, I thought Providence plantations was a city, not part of the state name. Thanks for clarifying.
Providence is the capital of Rhode Island,Providence Plantations was a part of the states name.But Providence is a city.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 12:50 pm

When my parents flew back from Europe the French accent pilot announced that "we are now approaching the Island of Rhodes". Which caused mom and Dad to freak out and think that they were on the wrong plane, and they were headed east across the Aegean, instead west back to the States. Turns out that the pilot meant "Rhode Island". Not the Greek island off the coast of Turkey.

But if the state legislature is gonna mess around with the name there is another thing they should change. Since "Rhode Island" isnt even a friggin island they ought to drop the "Island" part. Trouble is that the name "Rhodesia" is already taken. They could just call the state "Rhode Land".

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Since "Rhode Island" isnt even a friggin island they ought to drop the "Island" part. Trouble is that the name "Rhodesia" is already taken. They could just call the state "Rhode Land".

I don't think Zimbabwe want "Rhodesia" any more.... the hint being a 15-year war and the downfall of a white settler regime that made apartheid South Africa look enlightened by comparision. So the name is technically available for Rhode Island to use. If they enjoy riots.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
When my parents flew back from Europe the French accent pilot announced that "we are now approaching the Island of Rhodes". Which caused mom and Dad to freak out and think that they were on the wrong plane, and they were headed east across the Aegean, instead west back to the States. Turns out that the pilot meant "Rhode Island". Not the Greek island off the coast of Turkey.

But if the state legislature is gonna mess around with the name there is another thing they should change. Since "Rhode Island" isnt even a friggin island they ought to drop the "Island" part. Trouble is that the name "Rhodesia" is already taken. They could just call the state "Rhode Land".
Now that Rhodesia is Zimbawe,Rhodesia is open for the taking.It's a mystery why it's called an Island when it's not at all,it has some prominent islands like Block Island though.Maybe "Block Island" would be a better name.There is also Aquidneck Island which was called Rhode Island in colonial times,hence the name.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Since "Rhode Island" isnt even a friggin island they ought to drop the "Island" part. Trouble is that the name "Rhodesia" is already taken. They could just call the state "Rhode Land".

I don't think Zimbabwe want "Rhodesia" any more.... the hint being a 15-year war and the downfall of a white settler regime that made apartheid South Africa look enlightened by comparision. So the name is technically available for Rhode Island to use. If they enjoy riots.
There was in colonial times a Rhode Island but it is today called Aquidneck Island.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:24 pm

Sounds like it is changing to the name that everyone likes to call it anyway