Covid 19 and is it actually benefiting people with autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm

I think that the times we are in are hard but I found myself getting much more attention from others and more opportunities during this pandemic. What is your experience? It seems to have a humbling effect on people. Also it slowed down envy because everyone is in the same boat as you.

Last edited by Cloudman on 25 Jun 2020, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 12:29 pm

NO. Can't stand COVID19 and the situation it's created.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 12:39 pm

No significant differences from before -- people still call me "weird" for wanting to keep my distance, work alone, and avoid human contact, only now they say it all through a breathing mask.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 12:42 pm

nobody comes to visit? that's nice I suppose.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 12:53 pm

I got a ton of extra food stamps and the stimulus check.My counseling is now over the phone so no driving two hours round trip, same when my primary care refilled my thyroid medication.At first gas was really cheap but it’s went up since.
I never went out to eat and did most of my shopping online BC( before covid)anyhow so no change there.
If it wasn’t killing people, I’d like it to stay this way.
Wish the dispensary would lower prices but you can’t have everything.
I like social isolation, so quarantine doesn’t bother me.

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2020, 1:04 pm

I think it's complicated - first, it's tough to say that a virus with such fatal potential and no end in sight is a 'good thing.'

From an autistic perspective, it's a mixed bag (for me, at least). On the one hand, my life hasn't changed significantly; when people would ask me how things have been since COVID started up, I frankly had nothing to say because my life felt like business as usual, except for floods of people at the grocery store any time of day, which irritated me since I like to shop when no one's around.

On the other hand, it has meant that I have been stripped of any and all alone time; my mom has been working from home and apparently her department is in talks to just make that a permanent mainstay. My mom is deaf, so I don't feel as uncomfortable 'being myself' (stimming, talking aloud, among other things) around her, but my dad and brother are home all the time too. I know this is a minor issue, but it really means a lot for me mentally to have that alone time and it's made a difference in my functionality.

It depends on who you ask - I'm sure some autistic people are enjoying this more than others. I happen to be so socially averse that I incidentally have been forced to be more social through this (via family) haha, so on that note it's a less pleasant time for me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:21 pm

Some positive changes (for me, anyway): No "cold visits" from salespeople at the office; no "mandatory" parties for my wife's relatives; no getting dressed up for meetings; cars are parked further apart from each other; less freeway traffic (although it is slowly increasing); one pot of coffee lasts the entire morning (no one to share it with); and the office radio plays my kind of music all day long.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 1:22 pm

My Snap benefits(food stamps) have gone up expedentially and of coarse I got my Trump check for $1200 so I eat really well these days.Honestly life has been better for me the last few months,I wear my mask in public but go out when needed.I really can't complain about quarantine life.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:35 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
My Snap benefits(food stamps) have gone up expedentially and of coarse I got my Trump check for $1200 so I eat really well these days.Honestly life has been better for me the last few months,I wear my mask in public but go out when needed.I really can't complain about quarantine life.

The extra food stamps here ends this month though I’m back to work. So won’t get any food stamps anymore. So my food budget will be decreasing again.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:39 pm

sly279 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

The extra food stamps here ends this month though I’m back to work. So won’t get any food stamps anymore. So my food budget will be decreasing again.
Oh,ok I understand

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:43 pm

I have thought about this topic within the last few months.

I have to say that I have benefited in some ways and not so much in others.

The biggest benefit for me was acting on the opportunity to work from home in mid-March. I then took that opportunity to request permanent work at home status as a reasonable accommodation related to my autism. I was granted that accommodation by my employer. I never would have had the opportunity to make such a request had it not been for the initial "shelter in place" rule of my state at that time that made it acceptable for me to work from home.

My stress level is lower.

I'm able to be with my family daily now (mostly a good thing).

Cons:

The virus radically upset my routines.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:47 pm

Nothing has really changed for me, besides for the fact I was able to avoid appointments that were stressing me out and going in public is less crowded (most of the time).

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 4:27 pm

It reduced pollution, noise and global emissions, nature benefitted from it. Hygiene, health and life became important for a little while. People got stuff done that they normally didn’t get round to doing! I am so thankful to have a garden and somewhere to live, especially during the pandemic.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2020, 7:35 am

smudge wrote:
NO. Can't stand COVID19 and the situation it's created.

I see that's very valid.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2020, 7:37 am

Fnord wrote:
No significant differences from before -- people still call me "weird" for wanting to keep my distance, work alone, and avoid human contact, only now they say it all through a breathing mask.
hey at least your safe now and still have a job.

Cloudman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2020, 7:39 am

Steve1963 wrote:
nobody comes to visit? that's nice I suppose.

I see I understand that.