Australian politician being investigated over links to China

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 12:21 am

Quote:
An investigation by The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and 60 Minutes, has discovered that Mr Moslemane's office has been the focus of a probe by Australia's domestic intelligence agency, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).

Multiple sources have confirmed that this scrutiny has dramatically escalated over the last few months, morphing into one of the most significant investigations in ASIO's recent history. ASIO is investigating whether Beijing is behind a covert interference operation targeting Mr Moselmane's office and which aims to advance the Chinese Communist Party’s aspirations in Australia.

On Friday morning in Sydney’s south, Australian Federal Police officers working with ASIO executed warrants, seizing potential evidence connected to the Labor politician.

Source: https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/how-a-low-profile-nsw-mp-became-embroiled-in-an-asio-investigation-20200626-p556du.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 1:58 am

Before this turns into an Anti-labor party thread, Judy McKay (the NSW labor opposition leader) criticised Mr Moselmane in January after he praised China's "unswerving leadership" in handling the coronavirus crisis on his personal website.

Following this latest development she suspended him from the labor party.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 3:18 am

Oops.
I didn't see your post.

I'll delete the one I made. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 3:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Before this turns into an Anti-labor party thread, Judy McKay (the NSW labor opposition leader) criticised Mr Moselmane in January after he praised China's "unswerving leadership" in handling the coronavirus crisis on his personal website.

What part of "ASIO Involvement" don't you understand?! 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 4:22 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Just plugging one hole with

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 4:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Where is the barb?
Haven't you turned evil again? 8O

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 4:34 am

cyberdad wrote:

They didn't exactly have much choice:
Keep him in and they'd be accused of approving of what is being investigated
Kick him out and they'd be accused of not giving him a chance to clear his name
Suspend him - take the safe middle-road: He's not "in" the party, but not "out" either.

Not that I suspect any of the other parties would handle this type of thing any differently...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 4:44 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Where is the barb?

huh! just plugging the labour party hole with polyfilla? how is that a barb?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 4:46 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Suspend him - take the safe middle-road: He's not "in" the party, but not "out" either.

Not that I suspect any of the other parties would handle this type of thing any differently...

Don't get me wrong, anyone doing deals with the CCP (liberal or Labour) need to face the music.

As a matter of fact Daniel Andrews might need to explain why he is still doing business with China for the road project
https://7news.com.au/politics/world-pol ... -c-1073892

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 4:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Don't get me wrong, anyone doing deals with the CCP (liberal or Labour) need to face the music.

As a matter of fact Daniel Andrews might need to explain why he is still doing business with China for the road project
https://7news.com.au/politics/world-pol ... -c-1073892

I had been wondering about that when I saw and posted this article, but figured speculation here would not be contibuting to the thread and may have risked derailing it...Who knows, maybe it will get its own thread one day.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 5:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Where is the barb?

huh! just plugging the labour party hole with polyfilla? how is that a barb?

It isn't.
That was my point.