Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 12:38 am

It’s hard talking to NT, it’s easier talking to one when you have something in common & she disabled too.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 2:50 pm

Of the three friends I spend most time talking to, one is dyspraxic, and another has ADHD! The third doesn't have any neurodivergency diagnosis as far as I know, but he has the Aspie trait of talking mainly about special interests even more strongly than I do. I generally get on better with people who are non-standard in some way.

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2020, 4:03 pm

I've always found it's easier to speak with people who for some reason are also people who don't easily fit in. Often it seems they aren't as rigid in the required conversational rules as people who do easily fit in. More forgiving if you make a mistake. Not always, but more likely, it seems.

I think for myself too since I often just assume that I'm not going to be accepted to some degree by an NT then I don't put as much effort into even trying. Like, why bother? I've gotten better at this over time, but I still catch myself doing it sometimes.

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2020, 8:05 pm

True.

Others that are easy to talk to as well are NT people that do drugs/drink alcohol and the ones that are more spiritual (not religious).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 8:39 pm

I would be hard to talk to, then :)

I don’t take drugs or drink alcohol. And I’m an agnostic atheist.