Dixie Chicks change their name to The Chicks

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2020, 11:54 pm

Dixie Chicks Change Name to The Chicks amid Nationwide Protests for Racial Justice

Quote:
Natalie Maines, Emily Strayer and Martie Maguire will now be called The Chicks, PEOPLE confirms.

The group, formerly known as the Dixie Chicks who were founded in 1989, recently changed their band name, dropping "Dixie," a nickname for the Civil War-era South. The name change, which has been implemented on their website and social media accounts, comes amid nationwide protests, including the removal of several Confederate statues.

We want to meet this moment," The Chicks said in a statement on their website.

In a statement, obtained by PEOPLE, Maines, Strayer and Maguire acknowledged a 1960s pop group from New Zealand of the same name.

"A sincere and heartfelt thank you goes out to 'The Chicks' of NZ for their gracious gesture in allowing us to share their name. We are honored to co-exist together in the world with these exceptionally talented sisters. Chicks Rock!" the country trio said.

The Chicks' rebrand also comes less than a month prior to the July 17 release of Gaslighter, their first album in 14 years.

In addition to the shortened band name, the ladies released a new song "March March" and its accompanying music video, which features footage of recent protests in support of Black Lives Matter, women's rights, gay rights and environmental activists.

In order to meet the moment the drink Southern Comfort needs a new name as does the music genre Southern Rock.

What am I missing? Are not The Chicks engaging in internalized misogyny? I don’t know how the term is used today but ”chicks” was definitely often used in dehumanizing sexist ways back in the day. An animal term to describe females? True sometimes like ”Dixie” ”Chicks” was used in a purely descriptive way but I thought that doesn’t fly(pun intended) in 2020.

I’m confused.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 1:50 am

Much like Lady Antebellum changed their name to Lady A.

Although the Dixie Chicks have been savaged by hardcore republicans before when they dared to criticise George W,. Bush,

Republican country music fans tried to cancel them in the same way latter day conservatives tried to cancel Colin Kaepernick and Le Bron James (stick to entertainment and stay out of politics).

Cancel culture certainly isn't the monopoly of the left.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 2:30 am

Things are going to far now.

Maybe I will start an all male country band, and call it the "Tennessee Lambs" just to protest this.

Am all for "Lady Antebellum" changing their name.

That because of the old name implied nostalgia for the slave owning pre Civil War South.

But there is nothing wrong with identifying with the region of the South per se. So there is no reason to do this change. And as the OP said the "Chicks" part of the name, if anything, is more problematic than the "Dixie" part. The band in question almost ended up calling themselves "the Dixie Chickens" because they got their name from a song by Little Feat- the song with the line "you'll be my Dixie chicken, and I'll be your Tennessee Lamb".

Oddly enough I read somewhere that on Facebook most folks responded positively to the Lady A name change, and the minority who disapproved would actually make comments like "what's next? The Dixie Chicks changing their name? And the Florida-Georgia Line changing their name?". I guess the later bunch called it right. So maybe the Florida-Georgia Line will change next. Pity. I liked that name. It has a rhythm to it, and a meaning (ie Florida is so far south that it's not 'the South' anymore- implying that the band is right on the border at the far end of the south).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 3:46 am

I don't have a problem.
They are good looking "Chicky Babes".
Good luck to them.

What?
I am tired of walking on "Egg Shells" in regard to political correctness. :evil: :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 4:37 am

Speculation was rife that KFC shortened their name after this became public

Meet Mrs. Childress, “ Colonel Sanders Stole His Famous Fried Chicken Recipe From A Black Woman Named Mrs. Childress.
He later paid her $1200 for her recipe, KFC is worth 15 Billion Dollars today.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 8:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Speculation was rife that KFC shortened their name after this became public
Meet Mrs. Childress, “ Colonel Sanders Stole His Famous Fried Chicken Recipe From A Black Woman Named Mrs. Childress.
He later paid her $1200 for her recipe, KFC is worth 15 Billion Dollars today.

There's nothing secret about KFC's chicken.

1. Add seasoning.
2. Deep-dry chicken in oil.

Be the hero of your life.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 9:04 am

But which combination of seasonings? Thats the secret.

KFC deep fried chicken doesnt taste the same as Pappy Parkers (long time comptetitor now defunct), and Popeye's, etc.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 11:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Things are going to far now.

Maybe I will start an all male country band, and call it the "Tennessee Lambs" just to protest this.

Am all for "Lady Antebellum" changing their name.

That because of the old name implied nostalgia for the slave owning pre Civil War South.

But there is nothing wrong with identifying with the region of the South per se. So there is no reason to do this change. And as the OP said the "Chicks" part of the name, if anything, is more problematic than the "Dixie" part. The band in question almost ended up calling themselves "the Dixie Chickens" because they got their name from a song by Little Feat- the song with the line "you'll be my Dixie chicken, and I'll be your Tennessee Lamb".

Oddly enough I read somewhere that on Facebook most folks responded positively to the Lady A name change, and the minority who disapproved would actually make comments like "what's next? The Dixie Chicks changing their name? And the Florida-Georgia Line changing their name?". I guess the later bunch called it right. So maybe the Florida-Georgia Line will change next. Pity. I liked that name. It has a rhythm to it, and a meaning (ie Florida is so far south that it's not 'the South' anymore- implying that the band is right on the border at the far end of the south).

Don’t forget The Dixie Dregs.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 11:21 am

Not familiar with that band. Though I have heard of "Southern Culture on the Skids".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 12:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dixie Chicks Change Name to The Chicks amid Nationwide Protests for Racial Justice.
In other news, the White Star Line is rumoured to be considering a retroactive change of the name "RMS Titanic" to the name "RMS Happy Sexy Fun-Time Warm Fuzzy Hugs Party Boat".

Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 2:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Not familiar with that band. Though I have heard of "Southern Culture on the Skids".

The Dixie Dregs - Allmusic

And there was those confederate sympathizers The Dixie-Cups

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 2:37 pm

The Dregs sound interesting musically. Will hafta check them out.

I used to play the Dixie Cups' "Going to the Chapel" every weekend during the cake cutting when I used to deejay for wedding receptions. And...they certainly look like Confederate sympathizers.

If a Black girl group can have "Dixie" in their name, than so can the Chicks I would think.

TuskenR
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2020, 2:47 pm

Were Bo and Luke Duke white supremacist rednecks ?

Turn into doubts

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 3:40 pm

TuskenR wrote:

Not "rednecks" exactly...but "good 'ole boys".

I am sure that Blacks just didnt exist in the fictional Hazzard County. So the issue of race attitude just didnt have to be portrayed in the show. Kinda like Andy Griffith's Mayberry North Carolina. Rural southern towns and counties on TV always miraculously never have any Black residents (with the exception of in the TV series "the Heat of the Night").

TuskenR
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2020, 4:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TuskenR wrote:

Not "rednecks" exactly...but "good 'ole boys".

I am sure that Blacks just didnt exist in the fictional Hazzard County. So the issue of race attitude just didnt have to be portrayed in the show. Kinda like Andy Griffith's Mayberry North Carolina. Rural southern towns and counties on TV always miraculously never have any Black residents (with the exception of in the TV series "the Heat of the Night").

The only regular black character was neighboring Chickasaw County Sheriff Little, portrayed by Don Pedro Colley, but over the course of seven seasons, the show featured at least 19 other black characters. Ji-Tu Cumbuka, Kevin Peter Hall, Al White (2 episodes), Hal Williams, Herb Jefferson Jr. (2 episodes), Steven Williams (2 episodes), Wally Taylor, John Dewey Carter, Ella Mae Brown, Ernie Hudson, James Reynolds, Woody Strode, Harrison Page, Teddy Wilson, Jesse D. Goins, William Allen Young, James Avery, Tony Brubaker, and Ken Foreeall had roles during the series' 146 episodes./

Turn into doubts

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 7:44 pm

Ok. I guess the Dukes of Hazzard were more integrated, and less unrealistic demographically than "Andy of Mayberry". :lol: