Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 11:10 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Most women don’t seem to like polygamy.

I think polygamy (ployamory?) might be more popular with younger folks. Monogamy seems to appeal more to folks as they get a little older.

Humans are biologically prone to polygamy and its likely early humans were like chimpanzees where alpha males could choose to mate with any female who would only mate with the strongest.

Birds evolved to choose monogamous pairs but interestingly female birds will cheat on their partner and mate covertly with an alpha male.

Sexual selection leads to the Darwinian strongest fittest progeny.

No.

The alpha chimp tries to keep females from mating with other males, but he is rarely successful. Female chimps mate with lower "alphas," betas, and even omegas when the top alpha isn't watching.

Scientists have conducted DNA tests on chimp babies that confirm this.

The Alpha male would have the first pick.
I'm sure his DNA would have a greater influence, in the group.

"First in,
Best dressed." :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 11:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This has little relevance to human relationships. And any relevance is within the lowest level of civilization.

I have to disagree with you, my friend.
NT humans are more instinctual than you may think. 8)

domineekee wrote:
The article has nothing to do with chimps or essentialism, it's one persons account of their experience. No need to analyse it as anything else, there is no collective truth to be found within this piece of writing.

Will too. <pout>

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 2:49 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Socially speaking humans were always closer to chimps/gorillas, not to bonobos.

Speak for yourself... I am much more like a Bonobo :)

"Solange das patriarchalische Denken nicht die Grenzen überschreitet um den Frauen die Wahl zu nehmen, selbst zu entscheiden, Okey. Ich würde das jedenfalls NIE über mich ergehen lassen. Ich lasse keine Männer über mich herrschen. Ist mir völlig egal wie lange die menschliche Geschichte dieses Konstrukt am Leben erhalten hat.
Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid. Alle Religionen werden vom patriarchalische Denken getrieben und schau wohin uns das geführt hat. Ganz zu schweigen welch grausame Taten wir dem Christentum zu verdanken haben."

Genau!

I should start writing Arabic or French here, It would be a true babel!

Do it.

I can't read German, but I can understand French. I don't know Arabic either, but I want to learn it.

Just put it in google translate

If you want to "Speak" another language,
That is fine if you also express it in Englisch.
Why should we have to go to the trouble of translating it ourselves?

And not all of us can recognise what language is used.
There is a "Language Forum", btw.

Also:
The translater I find useful doesn't cater for all languages.

So I personally attack users in Russia then “translate” it to be something else and skirt the rules?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 5:09 am

I think subtle stuff also gets lost in translation

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 6:18 am

Pepe wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I think polygamy (ployamory?) might be more popular with younger folks. Monogamy seems to appeal more to folks as they get a little older.

Humans are biologically prone to polygamy and its likely early humans were like chimpanzees where alpha males could choose to mate with any female who would only mate with the strongest.

Birds evolved to choose monogamous pairs but interestingly female birds will cheat on their partner and mate covertly with an alpha male.

No.

The alpha chimp tries to keep females from mating with other males, but he is rarely successful. Female chimps mate with lower "alphas," betas, and even omegas when the top alpha isn't watching.

"First in,

Actually it makes sense why female chimps would do this; if they don't then most offspring will be half-siblings 8O - and that's bad for genetic diversity.

Lack of genetic diversity ==> defected babies.

Most apes instinctively avoid incest mating for that reason.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 6:28 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Great.

Now I can't enjoy banana shakes without feeling weird....

This problem usually surfaces by high school.

You're lucky.

Is it topped with whipped cream too?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 6:44 am

In chimps, if the alpha male doesn't treat the females well, the females conspire, overthrow him and install a new alpha. The girls aren't passive participants.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 7:19 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
In chimps, if the alpha male doesn't treat the females well, the females conspire, overthrow him and install a new alpha. The girls aren't passive participants.

It's great to get away from PPR,
Eh, mate. :mrgreen:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 7:31 am

Its nice to take a breather every once in a blue moon, yeah. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 10:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Polygamy is marrying more than one person without divorcing any of them. It’s not used for people who merely have multiple sex partners.

It’s weird that the term “monogamous” can apply to any sort of intimate relationship, but that “polygamy” only applies to married people.

You are right.
I meant "Polyamorous " relationships.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 1:42 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Pepe wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:

No.

"First in,

Actually it makes sense why female chimps would do this; if they don't then most offspring will be half-siblings 8O - and that's bad for genetic diversity.

Lack of genetic diversity ==> defected babies.

Most apes instinctively avoid incest mating for that reason.

Most other animals don’t seem to care or avoid it.

Chain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2020, 2:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I think the term "alpha" is a bit misused :

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/articl ... alpha_male

In fact it tends to foster behaviors in men that are very unhealthy. I am very very confident but I am by no means "alpha". I have had men try to assert dominance on me and it never ends well for them (another cool ability I have looking people in the eyes). I never have had a desire to dominate other men or be submissive to them.

I know that in some species there are things that may seem "alpha" but the human race is not one of them. The sooner we get this idea out of our heads as men, the sooner we can get the idea of submissive women out of the culture. Confidence, humor, being easygoing, emotional strength, kindness, backbone, intelligence... these are the traits that human females choose for a partner (it actually differs based on FCT, but that is too much to explain). They are most often attracted to taller men (I have a theory of tall grass to explain this) but even that goes out the window if you are confident and short.

As far as birds go, I don't see that much "alpha" behavior there just the more fit males having more offspring. I can't wait to be a bird on here that is endemic to my area... it seems they are all eastern North American birds :(

Just my 2 cents... did you know I am a millionaire?

A = acceptance ~ baseline, normal
T = trust ~ possible schizotypal disorder
R = respect ~ NPD
C = cerebral (adrenaline averse), S = somatic (adrenaline seeking)

I am ECUC/S (cusp cerebral/somatic)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 2:28 pm

Birds such as chicken and peacocks do have typical alphas + harems.

Pigeons on the other hand are very monogamous.

Chain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2020, 2:38 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Birds such as chicken and peacocks do have typical alphas + harems.

Pigeons on the other hand are very monogamous.

Are you sure that is not age of the bird? Older males are more fit because they have survived longer. The fighting is a fitness test.

Sorry, I just feel the term "alpha" over simplifies these mating strategies. I may not have words in my brain but when I write them or read them... I really like accuracy (I don't always achieve it) :)

Here is where the term alpha comes from:
https://www.mawer.com/the-art-of-boring ... alpha-wolf

excerpt: "According to Mech this also happens with other animals, including wolves. But wolf packs don’t form in the wild the way that they do in captivity; instead of strangers being thrust together, wolves form around family units. The “alpha male” in a pack is usually just the “dad,” the “alpha female” just the “mom”, and the rest of the pack follows their lead, not because of some competitive vying for dominance, but because it’s mom and dad."

The entire concept of alpha is outdated and was inaccurate to begin with IMNSHO

R = respect ~ NPD

Chain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2020, 2:42 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Dans des certaines périodes de l’antiquité, le “marriage” était un privilège réservé pour les hommes élites (chefs, rois, nobles... etc); même si c’était un privilège pour une minorité mais néanmoins était un privilege masculin à l'extrême.

Ah yes, class-ism another thing I hate, lol.

R = respect ~ NPD

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 2:56 pm

Again, what you are saying *is* a myth too.
The term alpha was wrongly applied on wolves; that’s true - but that doesn’t mean that other species don’t.
Wolves are actually egalitarian and monogamous species; their females are as strong as males - which is a trait common in monogamous species.

But you can’t deny that alphas don’t exist in species such as gorillas (just to sound politically correct and make feminists happy ;) ) - please refer to real scientific sources and not to some PC articles with wishful thinking.

The male gorilla is about 3 times the size of females, the size difference between sexes is often common in such species. The “alphahood” behaviors in gorillas is very obvious and well documented.

So in short, polygynous (not polygamous) species tend to have:
- Males larger than females
- Males are very aggressive and territorials, think of gorillas, chimps, deers, lions, chicken, peacocks, seals, hippos... etc.
- Males tend to have natural “weapons” such as horns, larger canines, ... well equipped for fighting.
- Hierarchal social structure of males; where the stronger males have special privileges.

Monogamous species tend to:
- Male and female of equal size and strength (almost).
- Tend to be more peaceful species, males are not aggressive. Think of pigeons, some songbirds, gibbons, GRAY WOLVES (yes wolves can be aggressive too but duh, they’re carnivores; but they tend to be by far less aggressive than polygynous carnivores still, after all our lovely dogs are their cousins) ... etc.

Matriarchal species tend to have:
- Females bigger than males.
- Females are the aggressive ones, think of bees, spiders, ants.. etc; and have natural weapons that the males don’t have.
- Males are the lowest rank, have a very passive role and their role only for reproduction.

Humans are not canines for the record.