Page 8 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This has little relevance to human relationships. And any relevance is within the lowest level of civilization.

My point is only that we actively fight our biological urges in order to maintain social bonds with our community

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:05 pm

LunaticCentruroides wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

When it comes to DNA as memory, it shows that humans have been mostly patriarchal and polygynous through mankind history: https://psmag.com/environment/17-to-1-r ... ve-success

There are other evidences of that such such as our sexual dimorphism and.... the written history itself, “Patriarchal” species tend to have violent and territorial males, and... who always waged wars in human history?

Socially speaking humans were always closer to chimps/gorillas, not to bonobos.

Patriarchy is one of the greatest tragedy that happened to the human race.

There's a reason why females are more picky than males.

Most mammals are patriarchal and polygynous (the two things are very related btw).

I personally welcome polygamy, because it's indeed more natural than monogamy.

But patriarchy is monogamous, not polygynous.

We might have a different definition of patriarchy then? :|

Patriarchy was extremely polygynous too; when kings and tribe chiefs had hundreds of partners.

Even ancient Judaism was polygynous, and so ancient Hinduism (it stopped being since 1955 only). All these religions are a reflection of Patriarchy.

It took a monogamous form after the rise of Christianity in the world; even in the current Muslim countries which were previously Christian (ie. Egypt, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon...etc) the polygyny is frowned upon and not much socially tolerated.

Yes the men did. But not the women.

The men took the women to posses them, as if they're objects.

Hence why it was a form of patriarchy.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Most women don’t seem to like polygamy.

I think polygamy (ployamory?) might be more popular with younger folks. Monogamy seems to appeal more to folks as they get a little older.

Humans are biologically prone to polygamy and its likely early humans were like chimpanzees where alpha males could choose to mate with any female who would only mate with the strongest.

Birds evolved to choose monogamous pairs but interestingly female birds will cheat on their partner and mate covertly with an alpha male.

Sexual selection leads to the Darwinian strongest fittest progeny.

No.

The alpha chimp tries to keep females from mating with other males, but he is rarely successful. Female chimps mate with lower "alphas," betas, and even omegas when the top alpha isn't watching.

Scientists have conducted DNA tests on chimp babies that confirm this.

This is true but the alpha dominance remains as the > 30% of the progeny in all females are from one male
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689943/

How much of that is the female's choice?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:10 pm

^ let me ask them. :lol:

“Hoo hoo ho hoo?”

Them: “Hooo haaaa hooo!”

They’re saying they like big bananas.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:11 pm

What Boo said :)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:16 pm

Great.

Now I can't enjoy banana shakes without feeling weird....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 9:22 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Great.

Now I can't enjoy banana shakes without feeling weird....

This problem usually surfaces by high school.

You're lucky.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Speak for yourself... I am much more like a Bonobo :)

"Solange das patriarchalische Denken nicht die Grenzen überschreitet um den Frauen die Wahl zu nehmen, selbst zu entscheiden, Okey. Ich würde das jedenfalls NIE über mich ergehen lassen. Ich lasse keine Männer über mich herrschen. Ist mir völlig egal wie lange die menschliche Geschichte dieses Konstrukt am Leben erhalten hat.
Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid. Alle Religionen werden vom patriarchalische Denken getrieben und schau wohin uns das geführt hat. Ganz zu schweigen welch grausame Taten wir dem Christentum zu verdanken haben."

Genau!

I should start writing Arabic or French here, It would be a true babel!

Do it.

I can't read German, but I can understand French. I don't know Arabic either, but I want to learn it.

Just put it in google translate

If you want to "Speak" another language,
That is fine if you also express it in Englisch.
Why should we have to go to the trouble of translating it ourselves?

And not all of us can recognise what language is used.
There is a "Language Forum", btw.

Also:
The translater I find useful doesn't cater for all languages.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:29 pm

It is potentially exclusionary to use a language other than English in most subfora here.

I don’t mind other languages—but if I don’t understand, I would get frustrated.

If this were an Arabic forum, the use of English would be potentially exclusionary.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:34 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I am so surprised to see how many people here see "eccentricity" as a minus, I've always seen it as a positive, regardless of neurology... I've always actively sought out eccentric, quirky people and I suspect it's why most of my significant friendships and relationships were so interesting and rewarding, even if not always happy.

I seem to get along better with eccentric NTs than people on the spectrum who aspire to a conventional, conformist lifestyle...

Yup.
Individuality is high on my "Appreciation List".
Groupthink, not so much.
"Politics" anyone? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is potentially exclusionary to use a language other than English in most subfora here.

I don’t mind other languages—but if I don’t understand, I would get frustrated.

If this were an Arabic forum, the use of English would be potentially exclusionary.

All of the above, yup.

Just repeat what is said in Englisch.
Problem solved.

BenderRodriguez wrote:

LOL, for me, no woman would be better than a controlling woman of any kind, I can't abide with controlling or jealous people, nor do I want to. But I don't like submissive people either, they bore me.

Total agreement.

BTW,
If your marriage ever breaks down,
Keep me first in mind. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:51 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I think polygamy (ployamory?) might be more popular with younger folks. Monogamy seems to appeal more to folks as they get a little older.

I think a lot of younger people, these days, just want to experience life and don't feel a need to get too serious until they are ready to settle down.

Polygamy is great for experimentation, learning about yourself and other people.
Monogamy is good when you know who you are and what you want, and if you want to start a family.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:54 pm

Solange das patriarchalische Denken nicht die Grenzen überschreitet um den Frauen die Wahl zu nehmen, selbst zu entscheiden, Okey. Ich würde das jedenfalls NIE über mich ergehen lassen. Ich lasse keine Männer über mich herrschen. Ist mir völlig egal wie lange die menschliche Geschichte dieses Konstrukt am Leben erhalten hat.
Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid. Alle Religionen werden vom patriarchalische Denken getrieben und schau wohin uns das geführt hat. Ganz zu schweigen welch grausame Taten wir dem Christentum zu verdanken haben.

du gehst, Mädchen :mrgreen:

Chain wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Most men decide they don't like it when their female partner "scores" more than they do ;)

I have always been polygamous internally and in several relationships but in my current relationship it would cause too much drama for my wife. She is afraid of losing me to a woman that "could meet my needs". Being anogamous is fine with me but I do miss exploring with women.

I am an advocate of "Open Relationships".
But the fact is, insecurity is a huge problem within significant-other relationships.

Last edited by Pepe on 02 Jul 2020, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 10:57 pm

Polygamy is marrying more than one person without divorcing any of them. It’s not used for people who merely have multiple sex partners.

It’s weird that the term “monogamous” can apply to any sort of intimate relationship, but that “polygamy” only applies to married people.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 11:02 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

"Solange das patriarchalische Denken nicht die Grenzen überschreitet um den Frauen die Wahl zu nehmen, selbst zu entscheiden, Okey. Ich würde das jedenfalls NIE über mich ergehen lassen. Ich lasse keine Männer über mich herrschen. Ist mir völlig egal wie lange die menschliche Geschichte dieses Konstrukt am Leben erhalten hat.
Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid. Alle Religionen werden vom patriarchalische Denken getrieben und schau wohin uns das geführt hat. Ganz zu schweigen welch grausame Taten wir dem Christentum zu verdanken haben."

Genau!

I should start writing Arabic or French here, It would be a true babel!

Do it.

I can't read German, but I can understand French. I don't know Arabic either, but I want to learn it.

Try this Translator I got from Extreme: https://www.deepl.com/home

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 11:04 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Genau!

Moi je ne défend pas le patriarcat; mais j’étais simplement en train d'expliquer à LC comment c’est associé à polygynie (un homme + plusieurs femmes) - je ne suis pas vraiment d’accord avec elle que la monogamie vient du patriarcat.

Dans des certaines périodes de l’antiquité, le “marriage” était un privilège réservé pour les hommes élites (chefs, rois, nobles... etc); même si c’était un privilège pour une minorité mais néanmoins était un privilege masculin à l'extrême.

Scheiße!
I knew this was going to happen. :roll: