Trump retweets video of armed couple menacing protesters

Page 9 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 10:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I wouldn't get too excited Bric...

It wasn't clear why just nine of the estimated 300 protesters were issued summonses. Police declined comment beyond a brief statement acknowledging the summonses. A phone message left with the city counselor's office was not immediately returned.

Police spokeswoman Evita Caldwell on Friday confirmed that nine protesters have been issued summonses but said the St. Louis City Counselor's office is still deciding whether to issue charges on the citations.

Not sure why you assume I was getting excited: This was just providing additional factual background information to assist others with an understanding of the events.

Particularly after some here assumed that there was no trespassing which occurred: A citation indicates they were trespassing (it is a less formal arrest). Regardless of charges being laid, it does indicate that the people were trespassing, and will likely affect the defence available to the home-owners who confronted them while holding firearms.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 10:43 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Regardless of charges being laid, it does indicate that the people were trespassing, and will likely affect the defence available to the home-owners who confronted them while holding firearms.

9 people were issued with summons but have not been charged as the St Louis Counsellors office are still deciding whether they have actually committed trespass.

Hence my comment - don't get excited...and yes I am quoting the facts

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 11:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Regardless of charges being laid, it does indicate that the people were trespassing, and will likely affect the defence available to the home-owners who confronted them while holding firearms.

9 people were issued with summons but have not been charged as the St Louis Counsellors office are still deciding whether they have actually committed trespass.

Hence my comment - don't get excited...and yes I am quoting the facts

Yes...They haven't "charged" them. That doesn't diminish whether they were trespassing, only whether the prosecutors wish to have some form of "punishment" attached to the btrespassing commited.

Quote:
A criminal citation is used by police in some jurisdictions in order to charge a person with a crime without the need of making a physical arrest

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_citation

So, as noted, they have been "arrested" for trespass. The option of punishment (charges), or no punishment (no charges\let off with a warning) is what is undecided.

I'm curious why you think people providing details\factual context about events are "excited" - It's possible to be impartial when doing this, particularly when no opinion is attached to the facts being provided (an excerpt and a link), it is hard to see how anyone could interpret it as the poster being excited...Unless the facts disagreed with their preferred narative?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 11:16 pm

Brictoria wrote:
I'm curious why you think people providing details\factual context about events are "excited" - It's possible to be impartial when doing this, particularly when no opinion is attached to the facts being provided (an excerpt and a link), it is hard to see how anyone could interpret it as the poster being excited...Unless the facts disagreed with their preferred narative?

No it's a manner of speaking in the NT world. I don't actually mean you are dancing on the rooftops with party paraphernalia Bric

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 12:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

No it's a manner of speaking in the NT world. I don't actually mean you are dancing on the rooftops with party paraphernalia Bric

Fair enough...You may want to consider your audience with those sorts of comments in future, though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 12:17 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Fair enough...You may want to consider your audience with those sorts of comments in future, though.

fair point...