Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 8:46 am

Can anyone recommend some good AND also user-friendly video recording software for PC? I am having a bit of a nightmare with this. With audio in particular- I'm a musician.

In principle, I should be able to record videos directly onto my laptop- I have a decent webcam, a high-performance hard drive, and a USB mic which works fine with audio recording on the computer. In practice...

The inbuilt Windows 10 camera app doesn't have great video resolution for some reason. Even worse for my purposes, it utterly mangles the audio, making it sound like it comes from the other end of a bad phone line. The USB mic is not to blame- I've checked using Audacity. I was recommended to try Cyberlink Youcam. Video resolution is substantially better, but it messes up the audio in a new, different way- it somehow acquires a ton of intrusive white noise. Also, it cannot go even five minutes without crashing. Literally. Neither program has any way of troubleshooting the audio.

Some people on a music forum recommended OBS Studio. This may well have outstanding functionality. I wouldn't know. The interface is so utterly baffling, I was unable to find out even how to record a short segment of video and play it back as a test. Online tutorials all seem to assume you already know the basics.

So. If you have experience of video recording software that doesn't suck at what it was designed for, and that you don't need a PhD in media technology to use, I would be very grateful to hear from you!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 1:09 am

OBS is pretty complex and potentially intimidating. I've managed to set it up for recording gameplay after quite a lot of trial and error fiddling around, but I don't know how I did it and wouldn't want to tinker with it again.

Maybe have a look at Electa screen recorder. Seems quite a bit more straightforward:

http://www.screenrecordings.com/

In Linux, SimpleScreenRecorder really is pretty simple, though there can be a problem with audio in one or two distros.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 1:46 pm

Thanks- that's a good tip! Glad I'm not the only one who finds OBS confusing...

Baineas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2020, 11:27 am

Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Bandicam and OBS.

flubbedcobra
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2020, 10:40 pm

I second Bandicam for screen recording. Really user friendly. Also, I know you can use VLC to screen record...

Mishapr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2021, 8:32 am

What about mac os? Are there any suggestions?