We have high school and middle school, but no low school.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 10:17 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
NewTime wrote:
Apparently "low school" doesn't sound good, so we call it "elementary school" or "grade school".
Never thought of that! Good and funny point. You sure come up with some out of the box topics, NewTime :) (and I mean that in a good way)

naturalplastic wrote:
And they also do that with each year in high school. Freshman (1), Sophmore (2), Senior (3). So -with high school Freshman is a redundant word for "tenth grader", sophmore for "eleventh grader", and "senior" for "twelfth grader".

Wait, I thought American high school was 4 years, and called freshman, sophomore, junior, senior? That's what we learned in English class anyway.

In my day they had "junior high school" which was grades 7,8,and 9. Which meant that high school was grades 10,11, and 12. Nowadays they have "middle school" which is grades 6, 7, and 8. So now 9th grade is lumped with high school, so now high school is four years instead of just three.

Also you have to keep in mind that compulsory education didnt even exist until around 1850 in advanced countries. And even in advanced countries they didnt make you stay in school beyond grade school until later in historyl. So they wouldnt call the only schooling most folks got "low school".

Though that would be an interesting play on words. You COULD label "the acquisition of extra classroom street smarts" by the term "low school". Learning things like how to roll a joint, or how to be a pool hustler, or how to be card shark, and things like that on the street might be called "low school". :lol: