We have high school and middle school, but no low school.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm

Apparently "low school" doesn't sound good, so we call it "elementary school" or "grade school".

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 12:14 pm

From where I live...
We didn't had 2 extra school years until about 7 or so years ago. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 12:24 pm

NewTime wrote:
Apparently "low school" doesn't sound good, so we call it "elementary school" or "grade school".
or "primary school".

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 12:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
NewTime wrote:
or "primary school".

Yes. In the UK there is no middle school. They have primary school and secondary school. Secondary school combines the middle school and high school we have in the United States.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 1:00 pm

And then there's kindergarten...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 1:12 pm

There are so many school stages in America; preschool, kindergarten, elementary, middle school, high school, grade school, freshman, college....

In (most of) the UK it's just simple. Preschool is 2-4-year-olds, primary school is 5-11-year-olds, comprehensive (or high) school is 11-16-year-olds, sixth form is an optional year or two for 16-18-year-olds, and college is also optional. In fact you don't even need to ''graduate'' high school in the UK. You just do your GCSE exams at the end of year 11 (when you're 15 or 16), then if you fail you still graduated, and college or sixth form can even take you on if you got poor grades.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 1:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
There are so many school stages in America; preschool, kindergarten, elementary, middle school, high school, grade school, freshman, college....

Yup, and what the hell is a sophomore?

Google says it's year 11, but why?

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2020, 2:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:

In (most of) the UK it's just simple. Preschool is 2-4-year-olds, primary school is 5-11-year-olds, comprehensive (or high) school is 11-16-year-olds, sixth form is an optional year or two for 16-18-year-olds, and college is also optional. In fact you don't even need to ''graduate'' high school in the UK. You just do your GCSE exams at the end of year 11 (when you're 15 or 16), then if you fail you still graduated, and college or sixth form can even take you on if you got poor grades.

Kindergarten is part of elementary school here. Freshman is the first year of high school. Grade school is just a synonym for elementary school. As far as I know, middle school is the only school stage we have here that doesn't exist in the UK. The UK combines our middle school and high school into a single school stage.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 2:12 pm

In swedish, the 9 years of primary schools are divided into "low stage" (grades 1-3), "middle stage" (4-6) and "high stage" (7-9). Onto secondary schoold (what we'd call Gymnasium) it's again divided into 3 grades.

hurtloam wrote:
Yup, and what the hell is a sophomore?

"There have always been literate ignoramuses, who have read too widely, and not well. The Greeks had a name for such a mixture of learning and folly which might be applied to the bookish but poorly read of all ages. They are all 'sophomores'."
-Mortimer Adler, How to Read a Book

Merriam-Webster wrote:
History and Etymology for sophomore

Noun

perhaps from Greek sophos wise + mōros foolish

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 5:08 pm

A sophomore in high school in the US is in the 10th grade. He/she is in their second year of high school in the vast majority of cases.

A sophomore is a first-year high school student if the student graduated from junior high in the 9th grade. Usually, though, a 9th grade student is a freshman in high school.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 5:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
A sophomore in high school in the US is in the 10th grade. He/she is in their second year of high school in the vast majority of cases.

A sophomore is a first-year high school student if the student graduated from junior high in the 9th grade. Usually, though, a 9th grade student is a freshman in high school.

I think what confused me more was that actors playing teenagers tend to be in their 20s so I thought that sophomores were in college.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2020, 5:23 pm

We have sophomores in college, too. They are 2nd year students out of 4 years of conventional college attendance. Or students who have between 31 and 60 credits within most degree programs.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2020, 4:41 pm

I can't understand why they changed "elementary school" to "grade school" and "junior high school" to "middle school" while high school is still just high school. Is it because grade school and middle school are just easier to say and spell? Or is it to make people in their 40's like myself feel like they're 400 years old?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 1:04 am

Joe90 wrote:

In (most of) .

No. There arent that many. Its just that we have multiple words for the same darn things.

Elementary is the exactly same thing as grade school. You forgot "junior high" which is (more or less) the same thing as "middle school" (except that middle school starts with grade 6, and Junior high with 7). In my day Junior high was the norm, and now middle school is the norm (my old junior highschool is now a middleschool).

Its in college and in highschool where they give you a fancy name for each year you're in.In college it's Freshman (one), sophmore (2), and the rest I forget.

And they also do that with each year in high school. Freshman (1), Sophmore (2), Senior (3). So -with high school Freshman is a redundant word for "tenth grader", sophmore for "eleventh grader", and "senior" for "twelfth grader".

So yes, it is confusing. But no those are not names for that many different things, but are mostly redundant names for the same few things.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 8:55 am

Here we have barneskole (literally children's school; elementary/primary school; 6 years), ungdomsskole ( literally youth school,formerly known as middelskole; junior high; 3 years), and videregående (literally onward-going, formerly known as gymnas; high school. Different lengths depending on whether vocational or ordinary, but 2-3 years. In vocational school often just 2 and the apprenticeship, but you still need a final year to be done with high school diploma).

When I went to school it was 9 years of compulsory school, now it's 10. We used to begin school at age 7, now it's 6.

A lot of (most probably) small kids go to barnehage (daycare).
While the 6-year olds (5 now I guess) in some daycares at least had something called førskole (preschool), it has never been part of the educational system the way it is in the US. It was as boring as school though.

lostonearth35 wrote:
I can't understand why they changed "elementary school" to "grade school" and "junior high school" to "middle school" while high school is still just high school. Is it because grade school and middle school are just easier to say and spell? Or is it to make people in their 40's like myself feel like they're 400 years old?
:lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 8:58 am

NewTime wrote:
Never thought of that! Good and funny point. You sure come up with some out of the box topics, NewTime :) (and I mean that in a good way)

naturalplastic wrote:
And they also do that with each year in high school. Freshman (1), Sophmore (2), Senior (3). So -with high school Freshman is a redundant word for "tenth grader", sophmore for "eleventh grader", and "senior" for "twelfth grader".

Wait, I thought American high school was 4 years, and called freshman, sophomore, junior, senior? That's what we learned in English class anyway.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765