Alternatives to 'traditional' employment

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 10:03 am

How much Chinese have you learned so far?

People tend to like it if you speak a little bit in their native language.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 11:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How much Chinese have you learned so far?

People tend to like it if you speak a little bit in their native language.

Only 2 words.

Hello and thank you

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 11:08 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
How is it working out in China cube? I did PM you when you asked for tips :D

My contract starts on the 15th. I'm excited. And, that's strange Teach. I never received the pm and I got distracted by the move from Beijing to chonqing. Can you send again please?

And, my response to Fnord was not so much for myself as it was for others who are struggling even more then me. Right now, hopefully my life is coming together but this guy Fnord with his condescending, I know it all, and I'm better then you attitude pisses me off and I do wish the mods would put him in his place for that. He does not like anyone who questions or challenges him and his BS.

First of all you are extremely heroic to relocate to China and I am just full of admiration. It will be an important milestone in your life and a great learning experience. About the upset tummy, I have the same reaction to spicy food, if you like it, as Kraftie says, you will get used to it hopefully. Look at you thinking outside the "cube" and choosing a courageous and innovative path I am so proud of you I really am. How is Mrs cube acclimatising? Did you travel together? I seem to remember that there is a Mrs cube. :)

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 11:10 am

I will PM you again from my computer not my phone, see if it gets to you this time cube. :heart:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 11:28 am

To get back to the OP:

As others have pointed out, there are many variations on ways to get enough money to live on.

I'm wondering if what would help you most are some examples, or the experiences of others.

For myself, although well educated and talented, I could not keep a job longer than about 18 months before I was bored to tears and frustrated by the higher ups.

I have been surprisingly successful at running my own business. It is small. It is a lot of work. But I make a decent amount of money and do the best I can for the people I serve.

Are you thinking of any alternative in particular?

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 5:35 pm

fenfaerielee wrote:
Those of you who found employment of any traditional kind full time or part time, difficult or impossible to sustain in the long run for whatever reasons, what do you do for an occupation instead?

For several years I worked from home as a freelance editor. I bought a bunch of cheap and used editing books and taught myself editing skills. I found clients on Upwork. For a while I was an independent contractor working (also from home) for a company that had me editing research papers for authors who aren't native English speakers.

I never earned more than a few thousand dollars per year even though I eventually increased my hourly rate to $30–$35 per hour. There weren't enough clients willing to pay decently, and the work was too stressful for me anyways. Trying to find clients outside of Upwork would overwhelm me. So I've given up this work.

If I can get the technical knowledge I need, I'll try to work as a technical writer on Upwork.

INTJ185
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2020, 2:00 am

Fnord wrote:
When you come down to it, there are only three main options:

1) Work for yourself.
2) Work for someone else.
3) Don't work at all.

Which of these is not "traditional"?

"...only three main options" implies there are other options that aren't "main".

So, one could probably expect the non-traditional ones are found among the others.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2020, 10:42 am

INTJ185 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When you come down to it, there are only three main options:

1) Work for yourself.
2) Work for someone else.
3) Don't work at all.

Which of these is not "traditional"?
"...only three main options" implies there are other options that aren't "main"...
I was obliquely referring to combinations of 1, 2, and 3 as "other" options...

1 & 2: A partnership.
1 & 3: A part-time business.
2 & 3: A part-time job.
1 & 2 & 3: Gig work.

Phoenix20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2020, 10:57 pm

Alternative jobs are needed for sufferers of Aspergers.
Finding a job is very difficult if you have Autism/Aspergers.
Very high unemployment rates of people with Autism/Aspergers.