Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2020, 7:14 pm

Anyone else into these games? This was one of the first series of games I got really into as a kid...starting with FF7, this became my favorite series all-around. Playing the remake of 7 was one of the best times I had playing a game overall, and I can't wait for the next installment. I still haven't played the first three games, have kind of been saving them/avoiding them, but have played all the other non-online games in the main series. Ranking favorite to least favorite I tend to go something like 7, 8, 6, 10, 12, 4, 5, 9, 13, 15...some can be interchangeable especially 8, 6, 10, 12 are all incredibly good imo with 7 being the best by a good margin...of course helping keep them in their order involves playing various remastered and modded versions where applicable (I wouldn't enjoy the original 7 anymore, the graphics are way too dated, I had to play a PC modded version on my last play-through, similar for 8 and 9 although the only remasters available for consoles didn't bother HDifying the backgrounds, which was a major problem, of course 10 and 12 both have fantastic HD remasters, the old 2D titles stand up pretty well due to their inherent simplicity).

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 9:36 pm

Yes. 6 is my favourite. I love its setting, and the structure and scope of the game. I don't really like the series anymore though. They became too long winded, convoluted and overly focused on spectacle for my liking. I don't mind having a lot of story, but if a game's going to spend ages in cutscenes it needs to have better writing. 12 was the last main series title I enjoyed, and to me it represented a new direction that would've been more interesting than the one it ultimately continued on.

I don't really play many JRPGs these days. Persona 5 was the most recent big budget JRPG I played that I enjoyed, though I stopped playing it before the end. I loved its style and I've always enjoyed its mix of different types of gameplay. The other was Baldr Sky this year, which had one of the best real time battle systems I've played, but the actual gameplay sections were about as sparse as a Xeno series game.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2020, 10:42 pm

VI is an all-time classic and probably the overall favorite among fans (from what I gather). I agree they got worse after 12. XIII was a big step down imo, in terms of the gameplay being way too linear, the battle system too easy, and the storyline was mediocre, but I did enjoy the game anyway (and got through it pretty quickly). XV I didn't even finish, though I enjoyed it for half the game or so (and haven't played it in a couple years). The FF7 remake imo was really well done (in most ways), you might be into it if you liked 7. I was really glad to see them return to better gameplay and storyline together in the remake (FFXV battle system and open world was actually pretty cool, but the story wasn't there for me anyway).

Persona 5 I've heard is great. For some reason I can't get into the aesthetic based on what I've seen in reviews etc but I did love Persona 3 for PSP. I used to play it every night before bed and play the dungeon like crazy, and finally finished it after like 70 hours or something.

My other favorite JRPG was/is Xenogears. If they ever remade that I'd be a happy man, but I don't think it'll happen.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 7:28 am

Xenogears is a game I never played. It didn't release here, and despite me being a gaming enthusiast who imported US models of the SNES and PS2 (to a PAL region), it was a game that I had been interested in but never got around to playing. I did however really like the Xenosaga games. They are incredibly flawed and uneven games, but were engaging and unique nonetheless. Since Xenoblade Chronicles the Xeno games have released to these regions, so having to import consoles and run them with power transformers and the particulars of their video setup is thankfully a thing for the past for me.

I'll concur that FFXIII is where the series lost me. The story and characters were godawful, and I could've forgiven that had they not been so obtrusive. It just kept going on and on with cutscenes. You'd finally gain control of your character only to walk through an empty corridor leading to another cutscene. And the battles were so simple in terms of input required from the player that they might as well have been another cutscene.

FFXIV I enjoyed a fair bit, but I don't really consider it to be a part of the Final Fantasy series. It's a really good WoW style MMO. Just too different to compare to anything in the series proper.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2020, 9:54 pm

I liked Xenosaga 1, didn't play any other Xeno games (aside from Gears). I just remember FF13 being incredibly linear with easy battles, and boring plot. Yet I did find it addictive and still got caught up in the spectacle of it. After all, for its time, it was an extremely pretty game and I'd still be interested in seeing it remastered in HD. It was also cool to have a lead female protagonist with some edge to her (Lightning). It was a big step down from the other FFs, though. Felt like a watered down RPG-lite with too much focus on action, excessive linearity, and of course the silly storyline (and yeah the other characters aside from Lightning were pretty goofy). I heard FF14 started bad but turned out to be really good once they released updates or something. It looked cool from what I saw, but I don't usually bother with online RPGs after I decided that Diablo II was too addictive back in high school.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 5:26 am

Final Fantasy XIV is probably the company's biggest success story since the original Final Fantasy game. It was terrible at launch, seemingly destined to be the largest flop since The Spirits Within. The game today isn't anything like what was released initially, and it's now the largest and most successful MMO since World of Warcraft. The game is the poster child for games poorly received at launch that went on to be successful, and it's largely because they didn't just improve the game, but remade it.

As for the Xeno series, I wouldn't recommend the Xenosaga series, but I would recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The combat system reminds me of a mix of Final Fantasy XII's realtime system, but it's a bit simplified in that you don't have as much control over AI routines. The world you can explore is structured similarly to FFXII too; it's still a linear game but it's not a FFXIII style corridor.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2020, 7:28 am

FFX is my favorite game of all time, to this day the most unique and interesting world building I've seen in a game (I think it's based on Okinawan culture), best battle system for an RPG next to tactics, one of the few games that ever made me cry. It just it's all my buttons, nothing I've played has dethroned it. The rest of the series is hit or miss for me, I get why FF7 but I didn't care much for it, I was disappointed the rest of the games weren't like FFX, and I hated FF15 with a passion, so I've kind of given up on the series. I preferred Persona 5. The music from almost all these games are amazing though. I also consider Chrono Trigger to be an honorary Final Fantasy, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 10:29 am

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game of all them, amazing story and I loved the tactical turn based battles on a map grid. I also liked 7,9,8,10, 12 Zodiac age, FF7 Remake, 6, 12, 2, 3, 4, X-2 in that order from most to least. I wasn't really into 15 but I completed it anyways, that game was all over the place. 13 was unplayable for me due to the garbage paragrim battle system. I don't like MMORPG's so I skipped 11 and 14 as well.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2020, 10:44 am

Noca wrote:
Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game of all them, amazing story and I loved the tactical turn based battles on a map grid. I also liked 7,9,8,10, 12 Zodiac age, FF7 Remake, 6, 12, 2, 3, 4, X-2 in that order from most to least. I wasn't really into 15 but I completed it anyways, that game was all over the place. 13 was unplayable for me due to the garbage paragrim battle system. I don't like MMORPG's so I skipped 11 and 14 as well.

I love Tactics but it's so long and challenging, I still haven't finished it.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2020, 12:25 pm

I loved Tactics. This was like my favorite after FF7 (at the time). I remember playing it when I was a kid and getting stuck on a certain late-game (one-on-one) battle. We had to take a vacation to Australia while I was still working on the game and I kept thinking about that battle the whole time while overseas. I thought I might have to restart the game to beat it (it took me a long time to figure out you should always have multiple saves in these JRPGs because sometimes you get stuck and can't go back to grind etc), but finally figured out a strategy that just barely allowed me to win. In those days as a kid my heart used to always get pumping when I was getting close to beating a hard boss (games were still pretty new and exciting to me). Still happens sometimes but not as often. Definitely one of my favorite storylines in a game; so epic, emotional, and with intense characters and so many twists, and at that age I interwove the FFT characters into my fantasy world quite a bit. I replayed it as a young adult and wrote a strategy guide (I used to write reviews and such for a game website when I was younger). Then I replayed it one final time as an adult. Around the same time, I played Parasite Eve (another gem of a SquareSoft game although it's much shorter and more flawed, I love the soundtrack and vibe of that one). I'd love for them to make a remake or remaster of Parasite Eve.

FFX is also a favorite of mine. It was my first PS2 game and I remember playing it on Christmas morning after I made a deal with my dad to split the cost of a PS2 for Christmas with me. Recently playing it in HD reminded me of how good the storyline was. I still resist how linear the game is but that's one of its few flaws. I actually logged the most hours into this of all the FFs, because I became fixated on blitzball in the endgame and went totally overboard playing that while listening to music. It has some of the best and most epic story parts of any FF game, up there with 7, Tactics, and 8. The first time I played it I struggled on Yunalesca a few times, and that epic speech from Auron and Yuna and the others got driven into my memory..."My father, I loved him...now, this is it, now is the time, your fate is in your hands, etc.," still moves me to hear parts of it in my head...classic game.

Call me crazy but I currently have FF7 Remake as up there at the top with 7. That game really moved me as well, it was just a huge nostalgia attack and I loved almost every minute of it. Only flaws were it was too drawn out imo...and I guess the battle system I found kind of annoying at times, and departures from the original were hit or miss at times...overall though I thought it was amazing. Not that graphics are everything, but the game is literally beautiful. I have high hopes for the rest of the FF7 remake series.

Chrono Trigger seems to be a great game. I never did beat it, got maybe 10-20 hours in. I got into playing it during a time I was really depressed and just got kind of lost at some part and didn't have the motivation to continue. However, I did love Chrono Cross and played it a couple of times.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 5:31 pm

eyelessshiver wrote:
I loved Tactics. This was like my favorite after FF7 (at the time). I remember playing it when I was a kid and getting stuck on a certain late-game (one-on-one) battle. We had to take a vacation to Australia while I was still working on the game and I kept thinking about that battle the whole time while overseas. I thought I might have to restart the game to beat it (it took me a long time to figure out you should always have multiple saves in these JRPGs because sometimes you get stuck and can't go back to grind etc), but finally figured out a strategy that just barely allowed me to win. In those days as a kid my heart used to always get pumping when I was getting close to beating a hard boss (games were still pretty new and exciting to me). Still happens sometimes but not as often. Definitely one of my favorite storylines in a game; so epic, emotional, and with intense characters and so many twists, and at that age I interwove the FFT characters into my fantasy world quite a bit. I replayed it as a young adult and wrote a strategy guide (I used to write reviews and such for a game website when I was younger). Then I replayed it one final time as an adult. Around the same time, I played Parasite Eve (another gem of a SquareSoft game although it's much shorter and more flawed, I love the soundtrack and vibe of that one). I'd love for them to make a remake or remaster of Parasite Eve.

FFX is also a favorite of mine. It was my first PS2 game and I remember playing it on Christmas morning after I made a deal with my dad to split the cost of a PS2 for Christmas with me. Recently playing it in HD reminded me of how good the storyline was. I still resist how linear the game is but that's one of its few flaws. I actually logged the most hours into this of all the FFs, because I became fixated on blitzball in the endgame and went totally overboard playing that while listening to music. It has some of the best and most epic story parts of any FF game, up there with 7, Tactics, and 8. The first time I played it I struggled on Yunalesca a few times, and that epic speech from Auron and Yuna and the others got driven into my memory..."My father, I loved him...now, this is it, now is the time, your fate is in your hands, etc.," still moves me to hear parts of it in my head...classic game.

Call me crazy but I currently have FF7 Remake as up there at the top with 7. That game really moved me as well, it was just a huge nostalgia attack and I loved almost every minute of it. Only flaws were it was too drawn out imo...and I guess the battle system I found kind of annoying at times, and departures from the original were hit or miss at times...overall though I thought it was amazing. Not that graphics are everything, but the game is literally beautiful. I have high hopes for the rest of the FF7 remake series.

Chrono Trigger seems to be a great game. I never did beat it, got maybe 10-20 hours in. I got into playing it during a time I was really depressed and just got kind of lost at some part and didn't have the motivation to continue. However, I did love Chrono Cross and played it a couple of times.

I would buy each of my Playstations purposely for whatever the latest Final Fantasy game was out. I probably won't buy the PS5 until they release the next Final Fantasy installment whether that is FF7 remake part 2 or FF16. Final Fantasy is why I chose to Playstation over using Xbox. Chrono Triggger is in my top 10 games, you really finish that someday, it is a pure work of art. I only got part way through Chrono Cross, I didn't like the battle system in that game either nor how the magic was setup in that game, so I never finished that. Chrono Trigger definitely deserves a remake one day.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 2:21 am

In case you couldn't tell from the black mage, I love this series.
FF4 was the first one I played when I was quite young and I had never played anything like it. It made me reconsider what kinds of stories games could tell. I've played just about all of them, and I would agree that there was a notable drop starting with 13, although I would say that they've finally put out a new classic with the ff7 remake.
7 and 10 are the two best for me. Ranking the rest is too hard so here's a personal tier list:

S - 6, 7, 9, 10, (7R)
A - 1, 4, 5, 12
B - 8, 13-2, 15
C - 13LR
D - 2, 3, 13
Unplayed - 4AY, 10-2, 11, 14

This series and Pokemon helped make rpg's my favorite genre. I've also played a lot of Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Mother, and Fire Emblem. Chrono Trigger is another of my very favorites, and yeah it's basically just Final Fantasy. I've been meaning to play more of Phantasy Star, Xeno series, Breath of Fire, Shin Megami Tensei, and Tales, but I have such a massive backlog.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2020, 1:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Roronoa!

I haven't beaten FFIX yet. My story with 9 is an interesting one. Basically, my family moved to Australia right around the time it was to be released in the US. After blazing through 7 and 8 and loving both, I was pretty excited for 9. Unfortunately it didn't come out at the same time in Australia.

My older brother brought me IX when he came to visit, since he had finished playing it. He told me that he had been disappointed in 9; although it was a really fun game, the ending had sucked, so it almost made the rest of the game a waste. Also, the copy he brought had a huge scratch on it making it unplayable. From then on I missed out on 9. I did rent it at one point, and played for maybe 2-3 hours and enjoyed it, but lost interest a bit.

Many years later (during the gap between release of XIII and XV) I decided to fire IX up again, and found I liked it enough to play for a while. I think I got about 20 hours in, and then just found it really hard to sit through the game with the graphics being what they were, and I was kind of so-so on the storyline. I got into it again recently with the HD remaster and am again kind of far in it. So I might end up playing it through to the end at some point.

I just finished FFXII: The Zodiac Age. I think based on that, I have to bring it up to about a tie with FFX. I initially played FFXII in college (right when it came out). Tbh I don't remember that much of the game from that play-through, it was very vague in my memory. All I can think of is that I was smoking so much pot at the time that this messed with my ability to remember. This recent time in Zodiac Age, I found much to love about the game, and the improvements offered by the remaster were enough to bring it up a level for me.

Never played: 4-AY, 1, 2, 3, 13-2, 13-LR
Played briefly: 10-2
Played halfway: 9, 15

For me I'd say the tiers are something like this:
Tier 1: 7, 7R, 8
Tier 2: 6, 10, 12
Tier 3: 4, 5, 9, 13, 15

I've liked all the main FF games I've played, I wouldn't say any of them have been bad. I also played and enjoyed FFVII: Crisis Core a couple times. I liked Tactics Advance but significantly less than the original Tactics. I sometimes don't finish games I start and have always been this way (I just get distracted, or get to a hard part and don't have the patience to work through it).

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 5:55 pm

9 holds a special place in my heart but I can understand ppl not being crazy about it.
The story starts out a little slow in the first disc. And not everybody likes the return to a more cartoony art style after 7 and 8. I hadn't heard many ppl disliking the ending, although I can understand not liking the final boss, since it was foreshadowed

that death and despair are the thematic villains of the game, if not the narrative villains. The boss is almost more symbolic than anything else

Other than that the story and ending struck me as heartfelt and I loved the characters. Especially in the beginning when your party members don't get along very well.

I've only played Tactics Advanced and Tactics A2. The former was more ch better but still had it's problems.
I did start the first Tactics but I got stuck. During that chapter where you're ambushed trying to prevent the princess's execution. So many archers and time mages....
Tactics 1 does give me the impression that it's much better. Now I'm more conflicted over whether to start over with the ps1 version or try to do the psp version since it fixed a lot of things supposedly.

I also need to play the Zodiac Age (noticing a pattern?). Since I really liked 12. But again, it's stuck in the backlog with 100+ other games rn.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 6:14 pm

I'm old, I played FF1 when it came out in the states as a kid. There was virtually no story line: there are four elements that are bad, and a band of four warriors to stop those elements. The first boss is also the last boss...so very gimmicky in the story line. But always enjoyed equipping my characters and leveling them up. I played all the games from I-X, but stopped after X (that includes all the japanese only games, got an emulator and translations for them in the late '90's and completed them).

roronoa79 wrote:
In case you couldn't tell from the black mage, I love this series.

I call that 8-bit Vivi.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2020, 7:03 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
9 holds a special place in my heart but I can understand ppl not being crazy about it.
The story starts out a little slow in the first disc. And not everybody likes the return to a more cartoony art style after 7 and 8. I hadn't heard many ppl disliking the ending, although I can understand not liking the final boss, since it was foreshadowed
that death and despair are the thematic villains of the game, if not the narrative villains. The boss is almost more symbolic than anything else

Other than that the story and ending struck me as heartfelt and I loved the characters. Especially in the beginning when your party members don't get along very well.

I've only played Tactics Advanced and Tactics A2. The former was more ch better but still had it's problems.
I did start the first Tactics but I got stuck. During that chapter where you're ambushed trying to prevent the princess's execution. So many archers and time mages....
Tactics 1 does give me the impression that it's much better. Now I'm more conflicted over whether to start over with the ps1 version or try to do the psp version since it fixed a lot of things supposedly.

I also need to play the Zodiac Age (noticing a pattern?). Since I really liked 12. But again, it's stuck in the backlog with 100+ other games rn.

That Execution Site battle is a tough one. You should probably just grind a bit and experiment with strategies, and you'll eventually win. I think either PSP or PS1 version works -- the original might be best (I think they only fixed some translation and typo issues, and added some extra content).

I have been playing FF15 a bit more, I think I'm near the end. I like it quite a bit, but it just lacks its own solid sense of storyline, identity, etc. There are some emotionally moving parts, the game overall is aesthetically pleasing, and the gameplay is generally quite good. Even this being maybe my least favorite in the series that I've played, I still give it about an 8/10. I suspect entries 1-3 if I were to play them, I might rate lower than that.

I definitely like IX and can see the appeal, but it takes a little while to get into it (I'll probably finish it soon). The cutesy cartoony stuff put me off a bit at first but that's also classic FF which I like. Even FF7 had a lot of that going on, it wasn't until 8 that they actually put the characters in proportion for the whole game. That being said, I had a great time replaying FF7 with HD mods for the PC, giving it an updated look. I nearly pulled my hair out a few times getting the mods working, but it was worth it. I'm sure it's really not that hard for most people, though.

The Breath of Fire games were pretty good, imo. I have a lot of nostalgia with III. When it came out, it was highly anticipated on the PSX. Release was delayed, so my parents pre-ordered me a copy for my birthday. When I finally got to play it, I was really excited and into it. This is another game I never did beat. The first time I was in the middle of it, and my mom decided to throw my playstation in the creek behind our house (after we had a fight). I basically gave up and sold all my games to the used game store. Later on when we were in therapy, I had a psychologist who vouched for me and got her to see that her actions were extreme, and she replaced the PSX and bought me a game with it (Xenogears!).

BOF I and II I ended up playing later on for GBA. The series is kind of generic and reuses characters etc, similar to FF, but even more so, but I loved those kinds of RPGs anyway. Later on I replayed BOF III and almost made it to the end, then I guess just got distracted by other stuff in my life.

Some other RPGs and strategy-RPGs I enjoyed: Golden Sun (GBA), Advance Wars (GBA), Tactics Ogre (GBA), Vandal Hearts (PS1), Vagrant Story (PS1), Fallout 1 & 2 (PC), Diablo I and II (PC), Diablo III (PS3), Demon's Souls (PS3), Dungeon Siege (PC), Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP), Legend of Mana (PS1), Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1), Lufia II (SNES), Suikoden (PS1),