A woman's perspective on First Person Shooter Games.

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 3:50 am

I have asked LunaticCentruriodes if she could give her experiences of a male-dominated First Person Shooter Gaming environment.

I have decided on this forum because it deals with human psychology and the different ways males and females view this environment.
It is not about game reviews.

You said you were a teenager when you first started playing.
What sparked your interest in the first place?
Were friends of yours involved?
Which sort of FPS games did you play?
What platform, PC or console, did you play on?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 10:26 am

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 3:05 pm

O.o

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2020, 3:21 pm

I don't play FPS because of my possibly-dyspraxia. I can't make precise movements with feedback only from sight and I make uncontrolled movements every now and then that make me completely lose directions in virtual world.
Otherwise - some shooters are really pieces of art, I regret I can't play them. Others are mostly gross and I'm not interested.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 3:46 pm

magz wrote:
I don't play FPS because of my possibly-dyspraxia. I can't make precise movements with feedback only from sight and I make uncontrolled movements every now and then that make me completely lose directions in virtual world.
Otherwise - some shooters are really pieces of art, I regret I can't play them. Others are mostly gross and I'm not interested.

My reflexes aren't that great, and because of my autism, I get major information overload and can't function well in "Heavy" situations. That is why I like to be "A Dirty Filthy Camper". :twisted:

Damn, some people, I use the term lightly, hate people who play that way. 8O

Yeah, Women are rarely seen and heard, in FPS games.
It reminds me of the 1960s. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 3:53 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

"The Dancing Fragger." :mrgreen:

For the general community:
In FPS parlance, to "frag" someone is to "virtually" kill a player's representative in-game character/avartar.

Quote:
What is frag in gaming?
Fragging. ... For those uninitiated, fragging is a slang term used mostly in the FPS community to mean that a player has been killed. You get fragged, you frag someone, they respawn, and you're good to go. We know that there are grenade types called frag grenades--short for fragmentation grenades.Dec 2, 2013

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2020, 4:07 pm

1. What my interest sparked..
I was playing video games already as a young kid with my brother.
I loved action movies, guns, weapons, killing, blood and all that sorts of s**t.
When I was about 15 or 16, I started playing the storyline of Black Ops I (PS3), and God damnit – these guys in the storyline were so hot... It was irresistible. I loved it.
And I felt so strong, playing that character and being a hero. I liked the story and all behind it.
So I started playing multiplayer and I sucked at the beginning. I kept playing until I got better and better. I wanted to be better than all these noobs and all the males. The feeling of being good/better at FPS is freaking great.

2. Were friends of mine involved? Real life friends? - Oh hell no.
Or lets say I don't remember any.
It was too personal for me to involve real people into this world anyway. :mrgreen:
But my older brother and somehow his friends were more in the background, in a way of talking about it... but never for playing with them. I wasn’t that interesting for his friends in the way of a shooter game. :roll:

3. The first multiplayer FPS was Call of Duty: Black ops I on Playstation 3. And then the other COD’s that came after this. Sometimes I played Battlefield. I can’t remember others. A short time I played Counterstrike at school with some boys when I was 18.

4. PLAYSTATIOOOOON :mrgreen:

In the clans I looked at myself as “one of them” and not as a female exception.

If they would remaster Black ops I, with all the original zombie maps - I’d be dead. :heart:

Do you have more questions?

Last edited by LunaticCentruroides on 14 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2020, 4:08 pm

Pepe wrote:

My reflexes aren't that great, and because of my autism, I get major information overload and can't function well in "Heavy" situations. That is why I like to be "A Dirty Filthy Camper". :twisted:

Damn it, I hate those guys :lol:

I am literally the opposite of this *Rush Rush* :twisted:

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 5:24 pm

I was to much into Quake III Arena once. Just tried it again once I did read this... :twisted:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 2:52 am

LunaticCentruroides wrote:
1. What my interest sparked..
I was playing video games already as a young kid with my brother.
I loved action movies, guns, weapons, killing, blood and all that sorts of s**t.
When I was about 15 or 16, I started playing the storyline of Black Ops I (PS3), and God damnit – these guys in the storyline were so hot... It was irresistible. I loved it.
And I felt so strong, playing that character and being a hero. I liked the story and all behind it.
So I started playing multiplayer and I sucked at the beginning. I kept playing until I got better and better. I wanted to be better than all these noobs and all the males. The feeling of being good/better at FPS is freaking great.

I think this might be the "Tomboy" in you. :wink:
I think you are more competitive, in gaming, then I am.

2. Were friends of mine involved? Real life friends? - Oh hell no.
Or lets say I don't remember any.
It was too personal for me to involve real people into this world anyway. :mrgreen:
But my older brother and somehow his friends were more in the background, in a way of talking about it... but never for playing with them. I wasn’t that interesting for his friends in the way of a shooter game. :roll:

So your brother's friends weren't into girls, yet?

3. The first multiplayer FPS was Call of Duty: Black ops I on Playstation 3. And then the other COD’s that came after this. Sometimes I played Battlefield. I can’t remember others. A short time I played Counterstrike at school with some boys when I was 18.

I gather the boys were old enough, by then, to find you more "Interesting". :mrgreen:
Were *you* starting to find the boys you were playing against more interesting, also? :scratch:

4. PLAYSTATIOOOOON :mrgreen:

In the clans I looked at myself as “one of them” and not as a female exception.

If they would remaster Black ops I, with all the original zombie maps - I’d be dead. :heart:

So you wanted to be an equal to the boys?
Was that the major incentive for playing., at that stage?
Or just the personal skill development?

Do you have more questions?

Yup.
I have questions up to my armpits, and in my pockets.
People say I'm full of it. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 3:01 am

To LunaticCentruroides:

-So you joined a clan. What made you decide which clan to join?

-Did the people in the clan know you were a woman? Did you hide your identity?

-Did you play competitions "Ladders"? Clan against clan?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 3:15 am

Pepe wrote:

Damn it, I hate those guys :lol:

I am literally the opposite of this *Rush Rush* :twisted:

You aren't the only one, believe me.
A couple of guys went so far as to get bad hacks to chase me down.
I remember one guy lasted about 10 minutes, before he got banned for having them. lol

A lot of "Game Rage", in the multiplayer FPSs. 8O

The trick was, ambush and retreat.
Wait for them to respawn and come back to look for you in the place you were, and then:
Ambush and retreat. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You could always leave a claymore/personnel-mine, or two, waiting for them if you had the right kit.
Needless to say, I wasn't very popular. :twisted:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 9:58 am

I have quick reflexes when it comes to rapid movement, but I have no aim. So, I'd shoot at the right time but I'd probably end up shooting the floor. On the plus side, I'm great at air hockey. I can usually catch something before it hits the floor if I'm prepared. People are often surprised at how quick I am to react since I am often leisurely and calm on the outside. However, at the same time my mind is typically going at 100 mph.

One time I was playing a quick reaction game against someone. They rather smugly turned to me and gloated that they must've won because I clearly wasn't as engaged in it. Then they look confused when they saw the score and that I'd reached double their score. People often assume that I'm not paying attention because I seem to lack urgency, but I'm actually just good at staying calm and focused on the game. As a result, sometimes people like to joke that I have the mind of cat and that things must just go in slow-motion for me.

I prefer puzzle games and simulation games. When it comes to fighting, I either prefer fist-fights or magic duelling rather than gun shots.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 12:51 pm

We should organize WP-only mutliplayer gaming sessions, and the victors would troll the losers in threads.

Fascinating!

JulianSpringer
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2020, 6:33 pm

I didn't think about it before

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2020, 10:28 am

Pepe wrote:
So your brother's friends weren't into girls, yet?

My brother thinks I’ve had (sexual) intercourses with 3 of them. But actually I’ve had (non-sexual) intercourses with 4 of them. lol
So yes, they were into girls, but I’m the little sister of my brother, so they kept a certain distance. And did it in secret… :mrgreen:

Pepe wrote:
I gather the boys were old enough, by then, to find you more "Interesting". :mrgreen:
Were *you* starting to find the boys you were playing against more interesting, also? :scratch:

Well, not the dudes at school.
But some online were quite a flirt for me, yes. It was a thrill and as you know me, I love the thrill.
They all lived in Germany anyway, so it was online.

Pepe wrote:
So you wanted to be an equal to the boys?
Was that the major incentive for playing., at that stage?
Or just the personal skill development?

Of course, I wanted to be equal to the boys, I was part of the pack.
And it was not my major incentive to play the game. I loved the game, because I was good enough to really enjoy it. I really really really loved the game… It was my precious.

Pepe wrote:
To LunaticCentruroides:
-So you joined a clan. What made you decide which clan to join?
-Did the people in the clan know you were a woman? Did you hide your identity?
-Did you play competitions "Ladders"? Clan against clan?

What made me decide which clan to join...
Oh I don’t know man… It just happened, I don’t even remember how I met these guys or who was the one I met the first. I just got involved in that community, where everybody knew each other. And they didn't let me enter the clan because I was a girl. It happened that I was one of the best players in the clan. They needed me.

Omg, of course they knew I was a girl! :mrgreen:
They all knew me. My name was big :lol:
I talked with all of them over headset. All of our friendships with each other developed in one way or another to a quite personal stage. Mostly, we played everyday and had always such a good laugh together. I really miss that, they were so funny…

Most of them even knew how I look like and vise-versa, we all had contact either on Whatsapp or Facebook. It was a big community, where we were all connected to each other.

So yes, we had Clan wars. But I’d say we were a middle-class clan, not one of the really good ones.

I've had the chance to play in a really good clan, with older people. But when I got invited to show my skills, I was so nervous and f****d it up... So I stayed with my "friends".
I will never forget that. :lol:
I even remember the map I was playing on.