Police reform bill passes Mass senate

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 10:32 am

Boston,Massachusetts The Boston Globe

The Mass state senate has passed a police reform bill to limit qualified immunity that now shield police from civil prosecution.It also bans chokeholds,tear gas and requires police to be licensed.

The bill now moves to the state house of representitives.

The measure has come under criticism from police unions who argue that officers should not have to worry about lawsuits while on patrol.

These bills are a response to protesters across the country following the may 25th death of George Floyd.

Way to go Massachusetts,maybe this will get the anarchist rioters to shut the hell up and get a life,anarchy is at least over in the great state of Massachusetts,lets see if the rest of the US takes a hint.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 10:38 am

vermontsavant wrote:
... The measure has come under criticism from police unions who argue that officers should not have to worry about lawsuits while on patrol...
By their reasoning, police should not have to worry about their families while on patrol, so they should not be allowed to get married.

They should not have to worry about their homes while on patrol, either, so they should be required to live in barracks.

They should not have to worry about their cars while on patrol, so they should be required to take public transportation.

(... I could get even more absurd...)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2020, 10:53 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Boston,Massachusetts The Boston Globe

The Mass state senate has passed a police reform bill to limit qualified immunity that now shield police from civil prosecution.It also (...) requires police to be licensed.

What does it mean?
Is there unlicensed police in Massachusetts?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 11:50 am

There is currently no formal licensing for police in this state.I don't know if any other US states require licensing to be a police officer.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 11:53 am

Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
... The measure has come under criticism from police unions who argue that officers should not have to worry about lawsuits while on patrol...
By their reasoning, police should not have to worry about their families while on patrol, so they should not be allowed to get married.

They should not have to worry about their homes while on patrol, either, so they should be required to live in barracks.

They should not have to worry about their cars while on patrol, so they should be required to take public transportation.

(... I could get even more absurd...)

One aught be worried for sure if one uses excessive force while working as a cop.
Whether cops will think twice before using excessive force is another thing.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2020, 12:33 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
There is currently no formal licensing for police in this state.I don't know if any other US states require licensing to be a police officer.

So, you just go, say you want to be a cop, then you go out to the streets with a gun and civil immunity?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 1:50 pm

magz wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

So, you just go, say you want to be a cop, then you go out to the streets with a gun and civil immunity?

For town or city police you take a test which you must score 95% or better on,if you pass, you are given a application and your name is on a list to be hired,once they have an opening for you,you go to police academy for a period of weeks.If you pass academy your'e formally hired,most cops also have a two year degree in criminal justice but it's not necessary.

State police also take a test and must score 95% as well,the state police test is much harder.If you pass then you go to the state police academy.It's harder to become a state trooper in Massachusetts than it is to get into Harvard university.

To be a cop in MA there are quite a few hurdles but no actual license,under the new proposed law all licenses would be reviewed every three years.