Reparations unanimously approved by Asheville city council

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 12:26 pm

Asheville, North Carolina, approves reparations for black citizens

Quote:
A city council in North Carolina unanimously approved reparations for black citizens while apologizing for the city’s role in slavery, according to reports.

The historic measure was passed by the Asheville City Council in a 7-0 vote Tuesday night, the Citizen Times reported.

“Hundreds of years of black blood spilled that basically fills the cup we drink from today,” said Councilman Keith Young, who is one of two black council members.

The reparations won’t come in the form of direct payments to black residents — instead, investments will be made in areas that see racial disparities, the Citizen Times said.

A Community Reparations Commission will be formed to recommend how those resources will be used.

“The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority homeownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice,” the resolution said.

Great Society 2.0 with “woke” language.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 1:23 pm

Uh-huh ... are these "reparations" paid out in proportion to an individual's African ancestry?  I mean, if a person's great-great-great grandfather was an African slave, and all of his other ancestors were white Europeans, does that mean he gets only 1/32nd of what a person with 100% African ancestry would receive?

Or are these "reparations" mere blood-money buy-offs that will guaranty peace for those whose ancestry is purely white European?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 1:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Uh-huh ... are these "reparations" paid out in proportion to an individual's African ancestry?  I mean, if a person's great-great-great grandfather was an African slave, and all of his other ancestors were white Europeans, does that mean he gets only 1/32nd of what a person with 100% African ancestry would receive?

Or are these "reparations" mere blood-money buy-offs that will guaranty peace for those whose ancestry is purely white European?

The article said it won't be direct payment, it will be in the form of investment in community. For example paying to have graffiti cleaned off the basketball court of a park in a black neighborhood.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 1:46 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Uh-huh ... are these "reparations" paid out in proportion to an individual's African ancestry?  I mean, if a person's great-great-great grandfather was an African slave, and all of his other ancestors were white Europeans, does that mean he gets only 1/32nd of what a person with 100% African ancestry would receive?  Or are these "reparations" mere blood-money buy-offs that will guaranty peace for those whose ancestry is purely white European?
The article said it won't be direct payment, it will be in the form of investment in community.  For example paying to have graffiti cleaned off the basketball court of a park in a black neighborhood.
Ahh ... I see .... mere political posturing!

Basically, just a re-labeling of funds already allocated for community investment.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 3:12 pm

The important thing is we don't know what these "reparations" will end up being, for now, it is only virtue signaling. A commissions will be formed, people will argue and maybe something will get done.

Assuming something like what is outlined actually happens it looks very much like many mainstream "liberal" programs set up in the 60s and 70s after the protests of that era. At that time conservatives disagreed and as predicted by them many of these programs ended up corrupt. "Reparations" makes it sound radical and will trigger conservatives into thinking the communist takeover is complete. When I first saw the headline my first thoughts similar, they were "OMG this passed unanimously "woke" thinking is way more mainstream then even I believed".

It will be radical if taxes are levied to pay for these program on white people only, or white people whose ancestors were slave owners. If taxes are raised on everybody then calling it reparations is a joke.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 7:44 pm

Quote:
The important thing is ... calling it reparations is a joke.
There!  Fixed it for you!

:wink: